This is what leadership and morality looks like....

Billy Ocean

Duke status
Jan 7, 2017
things won't work out better for the lotters after the police retreat

they will be the victims of any crime upsurge and also the economic wasteland that overtakes their neighborhoods once people with options leave

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
I think the riots are hindering any meaningful reform on police brutality and also clouding a clear discussion on the scope of police brutality. GDaddy has posted the crime stats over and over again and they don't agree with terms like "Epidemic of police brutality" as my congressional rep put it recently.

I agree that we need to reform various police forces around the country. There were some early discussions in the house and senate around some reforms that seemed to make sense:

- increased funding for police training in all sorts of areas
- some sort of national database so douchebag cops can't hop from one department to another after abuses
- increased reporting and transparency requirements from police departments
- limiting the use of no knock warrants

The protesters seem more focused on

- defunding the Police - which might mean shifting budgets to offload certain responsibilities (like mental health calls etc.) to other departments OR just whacking police budgets OR in extreme cases abolishing the police
- banning chokeholds
- ending racism
- ending capitalism

It'd appear that the house and senate have punted for now since the election is coming and the mood on the streets isn't ripe for an adult discussion on meaningful reform.
I agree they punted since the election is coming.

The 1968 Civil Rights Act got passed a week after MLK got dropped, after rioting. That's basically instantaneous in congressional terms. Slavery in the South didn't end because someone rebutted Ben Shapiro on a debate moderated by Rogan. It ended because Georgia was put to the torch, followed by South Carolina, and then Lee got trapped in North Carolina.

We are constantly seeing sh!t like the cop in Seattle rolling his bicycle over a laid out person. This is a cultural issue. The protestors aren't paid to protect and serve the police. That's not their job.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
things won't work out better for the lotters after the police retreat

they will be the victims of any crime upsurge and also the economic wasteland that overtakes their neighborhoods once people with options leave
Didn't we do that before?

Honky Trek.jpg

crustBrother

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001
The 1968 Civil Rights Act got passed a week after MLK got dropped, after rioting. That's basically instantaneous in congressional terms. Slavery in the South didn't end because someone rebutted Ben Shapiro on a debate moderated by Rogan. It ended because Georgia was put to the torch, followed by South Carolina, and then Lee got trapped in North Carolina.
Totally. I don't think MLK could have been what he was without Malcolm X doing what he did.

Reactions: Kento

the janitor

Tom Curren status
Mar 28, 2003
north of the bridge
I agree they punted since the election is coming.

We are constantly seeing sh!t like the cop in Seattle rolling his bicycle over a laid out person. This is a cultural issue. The protestors aren't paid to protect and serve the police. That's not their job.
I agree we need police reform, that cop got suspended, as he should be

that same night one of his colleagues got cracked in the back of the head with a bat - is that a cultural issue too?

edit - I get your point about civil unrest leading to change and while I wasn't there to see the marches and speeches by the activists of that era, from what I recall they were largely well organized, had a coherent message (whether you agreed with it or not) throughout the country and were led by black people

Today's iteration of civil unrest - at least on the West Coast - looks more like a bunch of white people trying to outwoke other white folks by proving what good allies they are

Last edited:

Oakleys_N_Zinka

Miki Dora status
Oct 7, 2005
This notion of allyship is unclear. Am I allied to a race? Sounds like a prison yard. Is Alyssa Milano allied to Clarence Thomas? Also allies are usually against somebody. Who am I allied against? AFAICT allyship is a very restricting and quickly expanding code of conduct (DiAngelo has like 25 things you can't say during struggle sessions) and a codeword for an ideology.

Reactions: Billy Ocean

the janitor

Tom Curren status
Mar 28, 2003
north of the bridge
This notion of allyship is unclear. Am I allied to a race? Sounds like a prison yard. Is Alyssa Milano allied to Clarence Thomas? Also allies are usually against somebody. Who am I allied against? AFAICT allyship is a very restricting and quickly expanding code of conduct (DiAngelo has like 25 things you can't say during struggle sessions) and a codeword for an ideology.
your problematic misoverstanding of allyship is so racist I can't even

I don't recall D'Angelo listing out things not to say during struggle sessions

• Haha
Reactions: Oakleys_N_Zinka

Billy Ocean

Duke status
Jan 7, 2017
Everyone is allied against Dad

eventually, though, Dad gets sick of the BS