Things To Do in and Around San Francisco, Nayarit

warble2

Gerry Lopez status
May 5, 2008
Meeting up with some old college buddies in a family house in San Francisco, Nayarit next week. 2 out of 5 of us still surf. Forecast looks small. Two of us are stone sober but don't mind enjoying some night life. All of us enjoy fishing. All of us have families and will not be looking for hookers and blow. We'll be there for 5 days and have transportation. Money not an option within reason.

If this sounds a little tame and not something you would have committed to, you understand my reason for posting.

What should we look into doing besides the usual tacos, bars, beach lounging, and perving on chicks doing yoga on SUPs in Sayulita? Any ideas where at least all of us won't die greatly appreciated. For your efforts:
Gonzalez 2.jpgGonzalez.jpg

b.r.

Phil Edwards status
Dec 19, 2003
Leucadia
www.youtube.com
Boat trips out to the islands for snorkling and cliff diving is fun. big swell? make a run for SToners point its kind of a haul but can be worth it, bring your deet! my buddy did horse back riding in San Pancho, was kind of a classic story, he went off the trail a few steps because he saw a cool looking arch thing to go under and he and his horse fell into an old well/ditch thing. He scrambled out put old Pachuco el caballo was stuck, it took half the village and a couple hours to get the old horse out of the ditch with ropes and people pulling on its head and tail, sounded hectic. Well they finally got Pachuco out and it was laying on its side and looking half dead, my buddy hung his head and felt really guilty, but then Pachuco arose, whinnied a couple times. did a kick and took three steps and fell back in the well. so uh yeah maybe skip the horse back ride.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
Boat trips out to the islands for snorkling and cliff diving is fun. big swell? make a run for SToners point its kind of a haul but can be worth it, bring your deet! my buddy did horse back riding in San Pancho, was kind of a classic story, he went off the trail a few steps because he saw a cool looking arch thing to go under and he and his horse fell into an old well/ditch thing. He scrambled out put old Pachuco el caballo was stuck, it took half the village and a couple hours to get the old horse out of the ditch with ropes and people pulling on its head and tail, sounded hectic. Well they finally got Pachuco out and it was laying on its side and looking half dead, my buddy hung his head and felt really guilty, but then Pachuco arose, whinnied a couple times. did a kick and took three steps and fell back in the well. so uh yeah maybe skip the horse back ride.
that is thee perfect mexico story

Reactions: b.r.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
wikipedia said:
It is bordered by jungle that is home to the jaguar and scores of other exotic mammals, reptiles, amphibians, and bird species. The region is also notable for its floral diversity.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
You eliminated all the stuff I know about the area. :drowning: No hookers and blow, ElOgro doesn’t go.:dancing:

There should be some swell...

Catch one for that commie bloomies!

warble2

Gerry Lopez status
May 5, 2008
I'm familiar with the point in question and have been through the area on surf trips in the early 2000s. Super fun wave. At the time you either had to boat in or know the rancher with the gate on the dirt road in. Looks a little more developed these days. Last time there our local buddy's dogged rolled a coatimundi in the bush and death shook it 5 feet away from us. Grinned like a bastard and jumped back in the truck. Buddy took it home where it was promptly thrown on abuelo's fire. We opted for some pollo in town.

I've flown into Vallarta and flew out of Ziahjuateno a couple times on surf trips. I think the last time I was in Sayulita was 2002 and it was already on its way to peak tourism. I just remember wanting to leave for greener pastures and better waves ASAP at that time. Morbidly curious what it looks like now. Will definitely check the islands and avoid the horses.

Anybody have experience renting a panga or local charter boat to fish down there? Any recommendations on that front greatly appreciated. Checked the forecast again and looking more promising for some spots a short drive away. May have to ditch the drunks and commandeer the rental for some dawn patrols while they shake it off. Guess I'm buying everyone more mezcal!

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
I'm familiar with the point in question and have been through the area on surf trips in the early 2000s. Super fun wave. At the time you either had to boat in or know the rancher with the gate on the dirt road in. Looks a little more developed these days. Last time there our local buddy's dogged rolled a coatimundi in the bush and death shook it 5 feet away from us. Grinned like a bastard and jumped back in the truck. Buddy took it home where it was promptly thrown on abuelo's fire. We opted for some pollo in town.

I've flown into Vallarta and flew out of Ziahjuateno a couple times on surf trips. I think the last time I was in Sayulita was 2002 and it was already on its way to peak tourism. I just remember wanting to leave for greener pastures and better waves ASAP at that time. Morbidly curious what it looks like now. Will definitely check the islands and avoid the horses.

Anybody have experience renting a panga or local charter boat to fish down there? Any recommendations on that front greatly appreciated. Checked the forecast again and looking more promising for some spots a short drive away. May have to ditch the drunks and commandeer the rental for some dawn patrols while they shake it off. Guess I'm buying everyone more mezcal!
I think I can find you a boat out of Punta Mita. What are you looking for?

Reactions: Sharkbiscuit

elcalvo

Michael Peterson status
Mar 16, 2004
NE
I've heard that you can get a guided tour of the Tenderloin district for just a bottle of Colt 45

warble2

Gerry Lopez status
May 5, 2008
Appreciate all the responses and recommendations. Super mellow trip and heavier on the relaxation side of things than the surf froth I'm used to when travelling. One of our party has been working hedge funds in NYC for the last 20 years and had zero interest in paddling out. Felt kind of bad watching him swim to shore from our panga taxis and scramble up the rocky shoreline to watch the rest of us surf in the baking sun while he tended foot cuts, so we focused on some shoreline fishing and more touristy stuff instead.

Did get into some waning south swell in the chest to head high range early in the trip at a couple of new spots for me, and a couple of other spots I hadn't laid eyes on since 2004 or so. Lot of changes have taken place down there in that time frame. Sayulita is an absolute cluster fuck. The saving grace of the crowds was that they were primarily Mexicans enjoying their Independence holiday and mostly families smiling and in good spirits. Still a fair share of the top knotted yoga gringos stereotyping all over the place. Highlights were:

- Making our way into some more secluded coastlines and casting rapalas/camaron bait rigs for pargo and grey barred grunts from rocky outcroppings. Threw most back, but kept a few for some meals at the casita with store bought fresh corn tortillas and beans. Made fresh pico and roasted salsas every day. Lots of fresh camarones for apps as well.

- @BR the Islas Marietas trip was great and fun to play tourist gringos for the day. The snorkeling, swimming into the "secret beach" through the keyhole, and seeing blue footed boobies for the first time in person was super rad. COVID clinic testing/clinics were super easy to navigate and everyone down there was super cool and friendly. 5/7 would bang again.

Only downside is that by going to Mexico, we all died.

Some pics:
Image (5).jpeg
San Francisco (San Pancho)

Image (4).jpeg
Fresh produce/fruit for breakfast and salsas
Image (7).jpeg
Goats because why not
Image (9).jpeg
San Pancho lagoon with some Black Crowned Night Herons fishing
Image (1).jpeg
Isla Marietas with Blue Footed Boobies roosting
Image (10).jpeg
Rufous Bellied Chacalacas. Kind of a cross between a small turkey and quail. Cool birds that always traveled in a packs of 6-10.
Image (6).jpeg
Grey Barred Grunt. First time catching these and happy to report they taste as good as they look fried mojarra style
Image.jpeg

Last edited:

warble2

Gerry Lopez status
May 5, 2008
1 Asks questions
+
2 Provides stock in advance
+
3 Gets answers
+
4 Goes on trip
+
5 Reports upon return (with photos and gives more than one short sentence)
=
AAAAAA++++++ transaction, would buy again!!!!!!!

You Alright.jpg

I was raised by the erbb. Actually, just didn't want the Doof rehash post 2 years from now asking for the recap and decided to get it off my plate now. I can't live with that kind of anxiety, man :trout:

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
One of my funnest sessions on a surf trip was at San Pancho.

It was flat all week and the day we were leaving there was hurricane swell.

Memories . . . .