There's Refi mania in the Bay area

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
How did all these homeless people lose touch with their families?

I think a lot, not all, don't like no one to tell them what to do.

(Low agreeableness.)

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
Many of the homeless who are actually given housing and services end up back out in the streets because of this, lack of personal discipline, ongoing mental health and/or substance abuse issues, etc. Even with strong intervention programs.

It's like a certain percentage of them can never really be a part of "normal" society.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
hammies said:
Many of the homeless who are actually given housing and services end up back out in the streets because of this, lack of personal discipline, ongoing mental health and/or substance abuse issues, etc. Even with strong intervention programs.

It's like a certain percentage of them can never really be a part of "normal" society.
Seems like cities with “strong intervention programs” have the worst homeless problems....

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Duffy said:
hammies said:

Seems like cities with “strong intervention programs” have the worst homeless problems....

Yup.

And it's glaringly obvious why.

The homeless flock to the cities with the free sh!t, then when they don't play by the rules they rightfully get the boot to the street.

Or they can limp along and keep taking advantage of certain freebies.

"Strong intervention programs" are worthless to communities without "strong institutionalization programs".

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
So what do you do about the homeless?

This is a break down of the family issue.

This society must bring it out in people.

I feel like I shouldn't be family man but I am so close to my immediate family

2surf

Duke status
Apr 12, 2004
California USA
www.allcare.com
Most of the cities have thrown hundreds of millions of dollars at the problem only to watch it get worse. Let me fix that, because most of the cities have thrown hundreds of millions of dollars at the problem it got worst.

Phi1

Phil Edwards status
May 21, 2002
Hell Cajon, Ca
Autoprax said:
So what do you do about the homeless?

This is a break down of the family issue.

This society must bring it out in people.

I feel like I shouldn't be family man but I am so close to my immediate family
The problem with homelessness is it isn't a single problem. Some is mental health, some is just people on the edge of poverty and one small setback could lead to homelessness. Once they're there, it's a difficult cycle to break free from.

Just one example:

It's cheaper to buy necessities in bulk, but if you don't have any place to keep things securely, people end up spending more for their needs.

Check out some videos from Invisible People on YouTube, it's an interesting perspective from a person who was homeless.

https://invisiblepeople.tv/

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Yep, multi variate gets you every time.

poverty and mental illness both compromise decision making.

I think there is something about America that makes the family not as important as it really is.

in other cultures the family unit has stronger integrity.

In the past you could be poor without the support of a family and get by.

Both my sisters would let me live in the garage before they let me live on the street.

IF I was good I could come in the house on Sunday.

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
Some people become homeless because of circumstances that happened to them that make them temporarily down and out. Often, they take advantage of the resources dedicated to helping get the homeless back on their feet, and they do in fact get back on their feet. You rarely see these people on the street.

Some people become homeless because of circumstances that happened to them that make them temporarily down and out. They self-medicate or otherwise begin to abuse this or that intoxicant, and their lives spiral downward. Often their substance abuse morphs into mental illness. They often refuse to live under outside constraints or accept help. They sometimes get back on their feet but often never do. You see them on the street a lot and they can be pathetic and cringe-worthy.

Some people become homeless because of prior aubstance abuse and/or mental health issues. Being homeless exacerbates the situation and their lives spiral ever further downward. They often refuse to live under outside constraints or accept help. They sometimes get back on their feet but often never do. You see them on the street a lot and they can also be pathetic and cringe-worthy.

Some people become homeless because they just can't stand someone telling them what to do because, freedom. Sometimes they spiral down into substance abuse, etc. They rarely get back on their feet and often don't really want to. You see them on the street a lot. Sometimes they can be kind of menacing.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
I trip out on menacing homeless people.

I notice in my town they have their own little social group.

That probably makes being homeless more fun.

It must be nice not having to pay rent or fuel bills.