Therapist for over 30 years: Nearly 90% of My Patients Are Liberals...

Pig Benis

Legend (inyourownmind)
Oct 16, 2002
Where are you getting that 1% # from?

I read 8% somewhere.
It's pretty easy to find the information.

"Psychopaths make up about 1 percent of the general population."

How to Spot Psychopaths: Speech Patterns Give Them Away | Live Science

If you don't like that source you can find that number quoted on all kinds of sources. Pick one.

Interestingly enough, heavy hitters in business have a higher rate. Closer to ten percent. Maybe that's what you were thinking of?

Pig Benis

Legend (inyourownmind)
Oct 16, 2002
I didn't call anybody a psychopath other than you and maybe Trump.

Trump has malignant narcissistic personality disorder, you are just a run of the mill psycho who chose a photo of someone pointing a gun at the camera / person you're talking to.

So cool.

A therapist would have a blast with you, a lot to work with.
OK then. Are you aware that being a compulsive liar is one of the characteristics of psychopaths? :poke:

You have a nice weekend. :waving:

• Love
Reactions: grapedrink

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
It's pretty easy to find the information.

"Psychopaths make up about 1 percent of the general population."

How to Spot Psychopaths: Speech Patterns Give Them Away | Live Science

If you don't like that source you can find that number quoted on all kinds of sources. Pick one.

Interestingly enough, heavy hitters in business have a higher rate. Closer to ten percent. Maybe that's what you were thinking of?
I read book on psychopaths ages ago and I thought the figure was 8%.

And they might be including people with psychopathic tendencies. There is a spectrum?

I have the book at my sisters. I want to read what the woman said.

This is not a gotcha.

That term does get thrown around a lot.

EDIT: it was sociopaths and she put the number at 4%.
I see those terms mixed up a lot.

This is from the book

Who is the devil you know? Is it your lying, cheating ex-husband? Your sadistic high school gym teacher? Your boss who loves to humiliate people in meetings? The colleague who stole your idea and passed it off as her own? In the pages of The Sociopath Next Door, you will realize that your ex was not just misunderstood. He's a sociopath. And your boss, teacher, and colleague? They may be sociopaths too. We are accustomed to think of sociopaths as violent criminals, but in The Sociopath Next Door, Harvard psychologist Martha Stout reveals that a shocking 4 percent of ordinary people-one in twenty-five-has an often undetected mental disorder, the chief symptom of which is that that person possesses no conscience. He or she has no ability whatsoever to feel shame, guilt, or remorse. One in twenty-five everyday Americans, therefore, is secretly a sociopath. They could be your colleague, your neighbor, even family. And they can do literally anything at all and feel absolutely no guilt. How do we recognize the remorseless? One of their chief characteristics is a kind of glow or charisma that makes sociopaths more charming or interesting than the other people around them. They're more spontaneous, more intense, more complex, or even sexier than everyone else, making them tricky to identify and leaving us easily seduced. Fundamentally, sociopaths are different because they cannot love. Sociopaths learn early on to show sham emotion, but underneath they are indifferent to others' suffering. They live to dominate and thrill to win. The fact is, we all almost certainly know at least one or more sociopaths already. Part of the urgency in reading The Sociopath Next Door is the moment when we suddenly recognize that someone we know-someone we worked for, or were involved with, or voted for-is a sociopath. But what do we do with that knowledge? To arm us against the sociopath, Dr. Stout teaches us to question authority, suspect flattery, and beware the pity play. Above all, she writes, when a sociopath is beckoning, do not join the game. It is the ruthless versus the rest of us, and The Sociopath Next Door will show you how to recognize and defeat the devil you know.

I used to tell my students that it was 4% of of population. Then I would look around the class of 25 and say, "that makes one of us a sociopath." Then I would look at someone and say "Is it you?" Then I would look at someone else and say "Is it you?" :roflmao:

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: plasticbertrand

npsp

Miki Dora status
Dec 30, 2003
down the hill and to the right
Visit site
same thing with getting treatment for alcoholism and addiction. people still want to think of it as a failure of morality and willpower rather than a medical condition.
Attention to mental health and access to care would resolve a lot of our nations (the worlds) addiction problems. Read the book Chasing the Scream for a very good analysis of what causes the majority of addiction issues. Not surprisingly, personal trauma is the root cause for 80-90% of all addiction, not chemical dependency.
Mental illness is tough on all parties involved with the ill person. Suicide is the #1 killer of males in their late teens and early 20s. Think about that for a second. The #1 killer. WTF!!!!
In my opinion mental illness is the #1 health issue we as a country need to address.

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
YES, like WTF!!!! If the brain ain't right, well, nothing else is too.
My own doctor is a real holistic guy. When I go in for my physicals he spends as much or more time going over my mental, spiritual, and emotional state that he does checking out my physical state. It's all connected.

Reactions: npsp and Woke AF

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
My own doctor is a real holistic guy. When I go in for my physicals he spends as much or more time going over my mental, spiritual, and emotional state that he does checking out my physical state. It's all connected.
My doc is a gal but the same. She knows us as a family and has stayed with us up here at the beach. She’s treated four generations of our family from my mother in law for stress when her husband was wilting away with cancer to delivering my granddaughter.

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
Attention to mental health and access to care would resolve a lot of our nations (the worlds) addiction problems. Read the book Chasing the Scream for a very good analysis of what causes the majority of addiction issues. Not surprisingly, personal trauma is the root cause for 80-90% of all addiction, not chemical dependency.
Mental illness is tough on all parties involved with the ill person. Suicide is the #1 killer of males in their late teens and early 20s. Think about that for a second. The #1 killer. WTF!!!!
In my opinion mental illness is the #1 health issue we as a country need to address.
I’ll pick that up, and yeah, Ive seen enough of that in my own family to have a pretty good understanding of the root causes of alcoholism and addiction. Most of the time it definitely doesn’t just come out of nowhere.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
All my alcoholic friends could out drink me when I was younger.

I used to try to keep up.

Ritalin helped but it wasn't a long term strategy for drinking a lot.

Now I just have a couple of drinks and go to bed.

I have nothing to prove.

Reactions: hal9000

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
I’ll pick that up, and yeah, Ive seen enough of that in my own family to have a pretty good understanding of the root causes of alcoholism and addiction. Most of the time it definitely doesn’t just come out of nowhere.
Alcoholism and addiction are almost never the root of the problem.

Ifailot would shame you, tell you to pull yourself by the bootstraps, like he did, and get a gym membership.

Easy!

• Love
Reactions: hal9000

kidfury

Duke status
Oct 14, 2017
90% of psychotherapists are liberal.

The therapist in the invented post shouldn't know the politics of hardly any of his clients
I need to revise this in the time of Trump. I think a significant number of persons seeing therapists would mentionTrump in sessions, remarking on the fears they had for the possible loss of democracy

• Haha
Reactions: grapedrink