The Yoko Syndrome

Witchipoo

Michael Peterson status
Jun 16, 2010
East of Malibu
Okay, I know this has nothing to do with surfing, but I can't vent on Lamebook because all the people I'm venting about will see it and cause no end of trouble. Also, I know it's not fair to Yoko that her name has become synonymous for a non-musician who interferes with their significant other's band, but what are ya gonna do?

So anyway, I have this little band that plays acoustic Irish music. We usually practice outside, which was kind of the point of the band, because I was sick of smelly clubs and rehearsal rooms, and also hauling equipment.

Usually, this is fine. But sometimes it's too cold, or too hot, or too windy to play outside. A couple of our members are homeowners, so you'd think we could just jam in their living room or something. It's not like it's loud.

The problem is, and I can't believe I'm saying this, the wives. They won't let us into their houses, not even to use the bathroom. Yesterday was the last straw, when I had to PEE IN THE YARD because the guitar player's girlfriend wouldn't let me in. We've had to play in the rain, in 100-degree heat, all kinds of bullshit, but that was really next level.

I was wondering if some of you domesticated types could explain this to me. It just seems wrong. I mean, no one's getting drunk and rowdy, and we all bathe. Except one of the banjo players, but nevermind.

I know there are women who marry surfers and then expect them to give up surfing, and of course there are plenty of women who marry musicians and then expect them to "grow up" and quit playing, but my question is . . . .WHAT THE FOOKING FOOK IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE?!?!

Thank you for listening.

• Love
Reactions: sirfun

Pico

Duke status
Aug 20, 2010
SUP Nation
One time Yoko was in a small sidewalk side cafe in the 80's and I walked by (just to get a glimpse) wearing an "If it swells, Ride it" shirt and she just gave me stinkeye. Georgie gave me stinkeye to in the same restaurant however upstairs in the Glam room after my GF just served him a beer. She was clueless to who he was pua yung ting.

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III
Sometimes people choose to be with people they think they can "fix." Sometimes there's nothing to fix.

If my significant other was in a band I would certainly let the band use the bathroom, *unless* they had proven in the past to be complete slobs. I assume that's not the case with your band...

Reactions: Witchipoo

Witchipoo

Michael Peterson status
Jun 16, 2010
East of Malibu
Sometimes people choose to be with people they think they can "fix." Sometimes there's nothing to fix.

If my significant other was in a band I would certainly let the band use the bathroom, *unless* they had proven in the past to be complete slobs. I assume that's not the case with your band...
It's not! This is the most civilized band I've ever been in! I mean, some of us have kids and own homes and no one is strung out or even slightly obnoxious. But yeah, I had to pee in the yard like a dog so I wouldn't pollute her precious home with musician cooties. What. The. Fuck.

• Love
Reactions: keenfish

TeamScam

Miki Dora status
Jan 14, 2002
Mid-Atlantic
I did.
I can't and don't say anything on FB myself. Not a good place.
I had a lot of occasions to refuse a bathroom to people who were hanging in the yard, porch, etc. But as a young man back then, let's just say the 90's I made exceptions for ladies and anyone reasonably old enough to maybe not be able to hold it which at the time I figured was about 40.
I kind of think I see something happening in successive generations, Ito put it bluntly, people are returning to a snobbiness not seen as much since maybe the Seventies in my area, but we're plain country folk and the archetype goes back at least to the Fifties.
I dunno.
Funny, since you mentioned yoko, when I was trying to think about the past and when things changed one major end to the Fifties era was in my mind, when the Beatles first stormed the US, pre yoko, but before that, "Banjo Player" probably referred to a different animal. No offense to the hippies.
Simple country folk. My Grandparents grew up with outhouses, and the were progressive citizens.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Okay, I know this has nothing to do with surfing, but I can't vent on Lamebook because all the people I'm venting about will see it and cause no end of trouble. Also, I know it's not fair to Yoko that her name has become synonymous for a non-musician who interferes with their significant other's band, but what are ya gonna do?

So anyway, I have this little band that plays acoustic Irish music. We usually practice outside, which was kind of the point of the band, because I was sick of smelly clubs and rehearsal rooms, and also hauling equipment.

Usually, this is fine. But sometimes it's too cold, or too hot, or too windy to play outside. A couple of our members are homeowners, so you'd think we could just jam in their living room or something. It's not like it's loud.

The problem is, and I can't believe I'm saying this, the wives. They won't let us into their houses, not even to use the bathroom. Yesterday was the last straw, when I had to PEE IN THE YARD because the guitar player's girlfriend wouldn't let me in.
Do you really need this explained to you?

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island

The problem is, and I can't believe I'm saying this, the wives. They won't let us into their houses, not even to use the bathroom. Yesterday was the last straw, when I had to PEE IN THE YARD because the guitar player's girlfriend wouldn't let me in. We've had to play in the rain, in 100-degree heat, all kinds of bullshit, but that was really next level.

I was wondering if some of you domesticated types could explain this to me. It just seems wrong. I mean, no one's getting drunk and rowdy, and we all bathe. Except one of the banjo players, but nevermind.

I know there are women who marry surfers and then expect them to give up surfing, and of course there are plenty of women who marry musicians and then expect them to "grow up" and quit playing, but my question is . . . .WHAT THE FOOKING FOOK IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE?!?!

Thank you for listening.
Knowing nothing else I'm guessing a couple of things possible:

1) They married women who are assholes that decided to grow up and become so-called "adults", the part about them not letting you in to use the bathroom is just absurdly inhospitable.
2) They perceive you as a threat - I'm guessing you're a fun-loving woman who plays music and surfs - and they are fat and undesirable and the very fact their husband hangs out around you irritates them.

sushipop

Michael Peterson status
Feb 7, 2008
The Dagobah System
You should keep a bag of poop in your sock and if they don’t let you in to pee next time, pee and leave the poop on the doorstep. You may be asking yourself why I suggest to keep it in your sock. Two reasons: 1) the adventure 2) while you are in your pee squat, you can conveniently unravel the poop from your sock.

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
I didn't look at the name of the OP before reading this and was like, what a pus$y, just **** in the yard. But yeah, I thought women always getting bathroom rights was sort of an unwritten rule. Dudes mostly prefer to use the tree/yard/outside. I know I do.

Reactions: tacos