The Yin and Yang of Gerry Lopez (upcoming streaming film)

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
He puts out an image of guru and environmentalist sainthood, then sells chinese made wavestorms at costco because $$$.

Patagonia not paying him enough?
How much money someone else has and how they got/get it doesn’t bother me. What about guys that give lessons on popouts?

Reactions: TeamScam

Ranga

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 31, 2008
Like the guy or not, he's got a great story and enviable surf life. And doesn't seem to give a phuck about what you think.

Didn't he snake his wife from Rabbit Bartholemew?

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
How much money someone else has and how they got/get it doesn’t bother me. What about guys that give lessons on popouts?
It’s the bullshit coming out of his mouth that’s the problem. Not the boards or the money.

If someone gets paid to put their name on mass produced, essentially disposable, non-biodegradable, made in China and shipped all over world surfboards then fine. Great. Nice work if you can get it.

But please, shut the fuckk up about being green, being zen, saving the planet and having “soul”.

Thats my issue. He’s full of sh!t.

Woke AF

Tom Curren status
Jul 29, 2009
Southern Tip, Norcal
He surfed good in the 80s so we should all worship him.
That's a big supposition. I don't feel the need to worship him.
I don't recall ever seeing him pushing any environmental issues or being extra enviro-woke.

I am not supporting him or what he does, I couldn't care less, but just because he is into yoga and surfing doesn't make him want to save the planet whichever way.
Triggered much?

Reactions: Havoc

Woke AF

Tom Curren status
Jul 29, 2009
Southern Tip, Norcal
Surprisingly, they give a lot of attention to what he quantifies as his 'yang side.' Aggression in the water, Burning people, selfishness, and blowing off relationship responsibilities.
He admits it freely but has no shame or regrets about it. Frames it as that's what you have to do to get to where he did.

Compared to the series Slater did on himself last year this one is the polar opposite. If Slater wants everyone to adore him and buy his stuff, Lopez doesn't really care and does what he wants; buy it or like him -whatever.

Thumbs-up*

* a little surprised by the lack of style in his g-land surfing. Age? Riding thrusters?

Reactions: tacos and Havoc

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
It’s the bullshit coming out of his mouth that’s the problem. Not the boards or the money.

If someone gets paid to put their name on mass produced, essentially disposable, non-biodegradable, made in China and shipped all over world surfboards then fine. Great. Nice work if you can get it.

But please, shut the fuckk up about being green, being zen, saving the planet and having “soul”.

Thats my issue. He’s full of sh!t.
Just watched it. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Of course I started surfing in 1972 so my youth was spent in the era when he was prominent. I always like his style.

He never once mentions being green, zen, saving the planet or having soul. :shrug: He confesses having been cut throat in the line up and says surfing is the most selfish thing you can do. Maybe you're projecting or have a thick filter going ?

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
That's a big supposition. I don't feel the need to worship him.
I don't recall ever seeing him pushing any environmental issues or being extra enviro-woke.

I am not supporting him or what he does, I couldn't care less, but just because he is into yoga and surfing doesn't make him want to save the planet whichever way.
Triggered much?
In fairness, I'm not sure how much of the Lopez image was his doing vs marketing staff especially at Pattagooch that he went along with.

If you look back in the magazines he's portrayed as more of a flashy rockstar than anything else. Nothing hippie about it.

There are interviews where he's talking about his enjoyment of guns and his firearms collection.

He likes motorcycles.

etc.

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
The coolest is the one who flew under the radar ... got the waves, lived the life ... then retired into obscurity without ever making a cover shot, participating in a competition or wearing a leg rope for that matter.

:waving::shaka::monkey:

sponge

Tom Curren status
Feb 10, 2002
Honolulu, HI, USA
Visit site
The coolest is the one who flew under the radar ... got the waves, lived the life ... then retired into obscurity without ever making a cover shot, participating in a competition or wearing a leg rope for that matter.

:waving::shaka::monkey:
Anybody remember Surfer mag July 1992, "Real Surfers" issue? Industry went on a downturn in the early 90s which gave some underground riders their due. Mike Akima made the cover. Not sure if he ever competed. He quietly rips to this day.

1671391423635.png

JSC

Nep status
Mar 11, 2008
Well, when you look at the prominent surfers from that era in Hawaii, Gerry was pretty much the only one who wasn't on drugs, selling drugs or in prison?

Nearly every other prominent surfer was all of the above at one time or another. Many of them are dead now.

I think Gerry moved to Oregon to raise his children in a better social environment with less drugs and violence than Hawaii - that and the attraction of winter snowboarding around Bend.

Certainly a more attractive alternative than sitting on his balcony at the Pipe House watching young punks take his spot in the lineup - knowing there is nothing he can do about it.