The World Needs More Scientist-Surfers

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
The World Needs More Scientist-Surfers
By merging passion with purpose, Cliff Kapono carves an unconventional lifestyle

Feb 3, 2022

<\/div><\/div>"],"renderIntial":true,"wordCount":350}" data-ads-injected="true" style="box-sizing: inherit; margin: 0px auto; padding: 0px; width: 299.294px; pointer-events: auto; max-width: 960px;">
Examining kelp along the Hawaiian coastline as a child with his family, Cliff Kapono thought of science and the surf as one in the same. Crawling onto his surfboard and floating in the salty ocean represented leisure and athleticism as much as it symbolized the earth’s elements like the wind, tide, rock, sand, seaweed, and water.

Once he entered middle school, though, he was forced by conventional academia to compartmentalize the two. It was either one or the other if he ever wanted to pursue them professionally, a mindset he says he struggled with through school.
“I would never mix the two, but tried my best to live both those lives separately,” says Kapono, a professional surfer, scientist, and journalist from Hilo, Hawaii. “I would put away my surf shorts or my wetsuit, and then I’d grab my lab coat.”
In the final years of his graduate study at the University of California, San Diego, Kapono was granted an opportunity by the school’s Global Health Institute to combine his two passions into one purpose-driven project. Using surfing as the vehicle, he studied the ways nature imprints molecular signatures on humans, just like humans leave behind fingerprints and footprints on the earth. That’s when Kapono decided for himself that he didn’t have to separate the two, nor did he feel compelled to label either of them as work even if he’s getting paid.
“By not having to split my brain all the time, I started surfing better than I’ve ever surfed and I started articulating scientifically on levels I never thought I could.”
Having studied coral reefs across the world and produced films about protecting the planet, he combines all his pursuits into one intentional, unconventional lifestyle. When he’s studying the coral reef, he uses his surfboard as his mode of transportation. And when he’s surfing, he’s connecting his body to the earth’s pulse. Every task has a purpose, one inspired by his motivation to improve human’s relationship to the natural world as his native Hawaiian ancestors taught him.
You can function on a high level as an enthusiast and as an academic
His current projects include working with Hydro Flask to create the Colors of Kona collection, a new line of bottles, tumblers, and more inspired by the vibrant and varied ecosystems found on the Big Island, Kapono’s home. And he lives by the brand’s Refill for Good campaign, which encourages the reduction of single-use plastics in an effort to protect those environments. Refilling a water bottle both preserves the planet and hydrates the body, he says, but it’s also a way of refilling the spirit for good.

“Once you start taking care of yourself, you can start taking care of others in your community,” he says. “To me, nature is the fastest way to charge to a full battery level to help other people.”
He’s also committed to the Honoli’i project, researching some of the world’s most resilient coral species in one of the island’s best surf spots. From his discoveries, he’s learning how land runoff affects the ocean. And through a partnership with the Road to Sea Foundation, he’s providing remote coastal communities with new technology for studying ocean health.
These days, he says, society is shifting to be more accepting of the blending of interests, unlike when he was a kid. People no longer need to define themselves solely by their profession, but instead can pave their own path through a culmination of their interests, hobbies, jobs, and passions.
“You can function on a high level as an enthusiast and as an academic,” he says. “That’s what I’ve been pushing.”
Since 2009, Hydro Flask has designed gear that happily goes where you do and stays the perfect temp til the outdoor adventure is over. Today is wide open. And we’re up for anything. #HeyLetsGo

WATCH OUTSIDE APP
The Outside App unlocks 600+ hours of members-only films and series to watch ad-free. You'll also enjoy access to Outside's 24/7 stream and thousands of free videos.
DOWNLOAD APP

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
Meaningless bullshlt like "studying the ways nature leaves molecular imprints on humans"..."if you don't get it, you're too old" horse crap about how the previous generations couldn't figure out how to both have a job and go surfing....sales pitch about how brand loyalty justifies grossly over paying for a water bottle...
:barf:

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
All that scientific training and this is what he does? :shrug:

"His current projects include working with Hydro Flask to create the Colors of Kona collection, a new line of bottles, tumblers, and more inspired by the vibrant and varied ecosystems found on the Big Island, Kapono’s home."
Pretty sure Hes a professor at UH Hilo And doing research.

these prob just side hustles he gets extra money on.

the dude has a PhD from one of the top programs in his field.

Senor Sopa

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 11, 2015
Ponto
Pretty sure Hes a professor at UH Hilo And doing research.

these prob just side hustles he gets extra money on.

the dude has a PhD from one of the top programs in his field.
Comments all over the place on this guy. Probably is cool dude, and surfs great.
I see no science in the article.
Not sure what the degree is in, but if it has the word "studies" in it, probably not very scientific.

LOL, I went and read the article again.
His quote: "Refilling a water bottle both preserves the planet and hydrates the body, he says, but it’s also a way of refilling the spirit for good."

He's onto some good science if he figured out how hydrate yourself merely be filling a jug of water.

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
All that scientific training and this is what he does? :shrug:

"His current projects include working with Hydro Flask to create the Colors of Kona collection, a new line of bottles, tumblers, and more inspired by the vibrant and varied ecosystems found on the Big Island, Kapono’s home."
Manbearpig is easily impressed and apparently really likes hydroflasks.

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III
The world needs more water bottles. Christ.

Can't comment on his surfing or as a person. But putting your PhD to work to produce water bottles doesn't seem very commendable, on the science side. The business side, perhaps.

Outside Online. LOLZ. Who even reads that? Tech bros in Google vests who wear Under Armor on the outside?