The Vaquero

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
I recently came across a used CJ Nelson Outlier 7'er that has the wider tail, 2+1 set up and was quite shocked how fast it travels across the wave face. I didn't think the hullish bottom would be that quick and being such a fan of concave bottomed boards that was a real eye opener.

Last edited:

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Edited: added "that" in the interests of clarity despite the fact I am well aware of the point of your post.
Previous ownership of a Christenson flat tracker 2 had left me with reservations about that bottom shape and consequently difficulty in believing claims of the Outlier having excellent speed across a wave.

Last edited:

doc_flavonoid

Michael Peterson status
Dec 27, 2019
but the guy who shapes the vaquero told me convex bottoms were fastest..

waiting for the team flat bottom tucked edge take

• Haha
Reactions: MathDebater

bluengreen

Michael Peterson status
Oct 22, 2018
SF x Encinitas
7'7 Vaquero Ride Report

What a trippy board. Finally got this Craigslist score out in some small, clean surf at a local cove. Best waves were peeling with a nice pocket for 30 yards or so. Not ideal conditions for the board but good enough to get a feel. First thing I noticed was what a terrible paddler she is. True dog of a paddler, possibly worse than a pointy-nosed short board and this is at 7'7 and 22 inches wide. As soon as the board started planing, though, the magic kicked in. It wanted to sit high and tight in the pocket and the trim feeling was frictionless. Tried to cut back from middle of the board and it just tipped over. Didn't get many tries to work out turning, but it definitely needed me to be over the fin for any real direction change. Only had the option to do some gentle off the tops so I'm very curious to see how it cuts back on an open face. Interesting challenge that I'm looking forward to figuring out.

Last thing: It felt smaller than I expected, possibly due to the ball-bearing feeling. I don't think I would want to ride this thing much smaller.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tarab_ish and Maz

jory

OTF status
Aug 13, 2006
UK
Visit site
7'7 Vaquero Ride Report

What a trippy board. Finally got this Craigslist score out in some small, clean surf at a local cove. Best waves were peeling with a nice pocket for 30 yards or so. Not ideal conditions for the board but good enough to get a feel. First thing I noticed was what a terrible paddler she is. True dog of a paddler, possibly worse than a pointy-nosed short board and this is at 7'7 and 22 inches wide. As soon as the board started planing, though the magic kicked in. It wanted to sit high and tight in the pocket and the trim feeling was frictionless. Tried to cut back from middle of the board and it just tipped over. Didn't get many tries to work out turning, but it definitely needed me to be over the fin for any real direction change. Only had the option to do some gentle off the tops so I'm very curious to see how it cuts back on an open face. Interesting challenge that I'm looking forward to figuring out.

Last thing: It felt smaller than I expected, possibly due to the ball-bearing feeling. I don't think I would want to ride this thing much smaller.
Welcome to hull(s)

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Looking forward to hearing more. (Dog of of a paddler thing sh!ts me; I hate that feeling of going nowhere and my shoulders getting smashed.)
Same here. That's why I went the "semi-hull" route with a 8' CJ Nelson Outlier. Well that and over this side of the pond we don't have them kicking around for sale. Paddles better in the flats but still get that hull slippery speed goodness. Straight into (or in this case onto) the shopping cart for a Saturday YOLO.
IMG_0417.jpg

Last edited: