The surf media feeding frenzy has turned the entire North Shore in to a contest zone and it sucks

youcantbeserious

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 29, 2020
Location location
Contests without waiting periods every recreational surfer gets to be involved in whether we like it or not. Bull$hit of the highest order.

Virtual Triple Crown
WOTW
Red Bull women's thing

Our kids can't go to school and these fvcks have the audacity to pull this crap day in and day out, packing team houses and lineups beyond capacity and hyping every swell as a contest/photo shoot free for all.

Surf industry leeches, half a$$ed influencer donkeys... get a fvcking real job. Tell your kids to stay in school or they're going to end up high and robbing houses, promise.

Oh yeah and when Sunset is 8-10' and glassy, LEAVE YOUR WAIMEA BOARD IN THE GARAGE KOOKS

Rant over

Last edited:

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
It's been fcked every which way. I thought this year would be less crowded.
Even the spots off the beaten path are getting throttled.
Even the sharky spots that usually only glassers high on fumes surf, are packed.
I've been surfing spots that are washed out. Getting pounded and only getting a handful of waves.
At least I'm by myself.

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~
Kalihiwai, Hanalei and outer reefs were rolling hard on Saturday. Easy, steady 4 -6 feet with 8 footer rolling in. 10 to 12 on the outside sets that one would not like to be caught inside on. Newbie's Costco boards were floaties at the Hanalei Pier or beached waiting to be retrieved by it's owner. Beer and boiled peanuts were a plus for the ongoing chaos and fiascos. :socrazy:

What_it_Do_Baybeeee

Gerry Lopez status
Mar 28, 2010
CA
It's been fcked every which way. I thought this year would be less crowded.
Even the spots off the beaten path are getting throttled.
Even the sharky spots that usually only glassers high on fumes surf, are packed.
I've been surfing spots that are washed out. Getting pounded and only getting a handful of waves.
At least I'm by myself.
Is a certain spot before Waimea with an aptly named rock in front of it packed these days? That used to a fun place to surf and escape the crowds when I lived on Oahu. Couple times I found myself out there by my lonesome. I actually wanted someone to paddle out those times :shark:

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
East side is fucking packed. Had to drive past Kailua beach park today to go into Lanikai for something and it looked like a NYC traffic jam. Took 30 minutes to get past the beach park. People everywhere. Went to the beach to let my kids play and boogie board and it looked like California. People were lined up elbow to elbow.

On another note, can someone tell me why the fuck parents are buying 11 year old kids foil setups that cost more than my car? I counted 10 little groms walk past me today with a $3K setup to go foil knee high swells. I couldn't even get my parents to get me a surfboard when I was 11. lol.

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Is a certain spot before Waimea with an aptly named rock in front of it packed these days? That used to a fun place to surf and escape the crowds when I lived on Oahu. Couple times I found myself out there by my lonesome. I actually wanted someone to paddle out those times :shark:
Mostly still empty
Hard to check it and not much parking

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
The irony is, you don't even need the contests.

None here cept a handful of local ones... And yet I spent Sunday grabbing rail for learners who not only did not know how to turn, they didn't even know how to stand up!

Right hand point break.

6ft 15secs 15 kmph off shore and they take soft tops out, go straight grabbing the raiks like the board was a boogie board.

Not just one either, sent 4-5 out of the water, but soon just gave up and paddeled way outside where none of them could reach to surf an outside reef as soon as I saw the hordes amassing on the shore ready to anhilate any chance for fun at that spot.

Ridonkulous. Donkerifict.

Sunday bloody Sunday!

:dancing:

Reactions: Senor Sopa

kelly7873

Nep status
Jan 20, 2002
Honolulu
I was at an outer reef on Saturday it was 15' to 18' and packed, I guess about 40 people out. The funny thing was almost half of them were female. I was told that they are having a video contest, whoever submits the clip of the largest wave gets $40,000.

• Wow
Reactions: racer1