The Skaters of the ERBB

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
I am dividing my time roughly equally between "skating" and surfing at the moment. Skated yesterday morning, surfed yesterday arvo with a quick lunchtime skate. 2 surfs and a quick lunchtime skate today. I call it skating anyway, I think a few people here wouldn't consider it that. Board on the left is currently getting most of my attention (back to the future complete), 7 3/4" limited screen print Gonzales in the middle - that recently had 2 weeks of regular use on an overseas trip coz it fits diagonally in my suitcase. Let's not talk about the one on the right :roflmao:
skates.jpeg

Northern_Shores

Miki Dora status
Mar 30, 2009
I am dividing my time roughly equally between "skating" and surfing at the moment. Skated yesterday morning, surfed yesterday arvo with a quick lunchtime skate. 2 surfs and a quick lunchtime skate today. I call it skating anyway, I think a few people here wouldn't consider it that. Board on the left is currently getting most of my attention (back to the future complete), 7 3/4" limited screen print Gonzales in the middle - that recently had 2 weeks of regular use on an overseas trip coz it fits diagonally in my suitcase. Let's not talk about the one on the right :roflmao:
View attachment 135518
You should ease off the brakes.

bruhdakine

Miki Dora status
Jul 7, 2003
PNW
LC is no kiddie park. Good on you for giving it a go.
No doubt. I'd been out with the groms at our local central Oregon parks and riding our garage mini for a couple of months and was feeling like I was 'getting it back' (whatever was once there to begin with - lol) so I was out there. I went down trying to hit coping on the big vert wall at the very bottom and didn't get to my knees - instead landed on my shoulder. Haha. It was the first day of a week long coast trip and I spent the afternoon at the LC emergency room (urgent care was closed that day) which was interesting to say the least. My wife was pissed because I was suddenly useless and in pain which changed the dynamic of our little staycation, and I was bummed because the surf looked pretty fun all week long. Thank you skateboarding.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
No doubt. I'd been out with the groms at our local central Oregon parks and riding our garage mini for a couple of months and was feeling like I was 'getting it back' (whatever was once there to begin with - lol) so I was out there. I went down trying to hit coping on the big vert wall at the very bottom and didn't get to my knees - instead landed on my shoulder. Haha. It was the first day of a week long coast trip and I spent the afternoon at the LC emergency room (urgent care was closed that day) which was interesting to say the least. My wife was pissed because I was suddenly useless and in pain which changed the dynamic of our little staycation, and I was bummed because the surf looked pretty fun all week long. Thank you skateboarding.
Pretty much did same hit hard at bottom after bs bash on big vert waterfall wall cut fuk out of palm using derby wrist guards:cursing:If you wear wrist guards use normal 2 straps stay away from derby has plastic plate sharp as knife:bricks:

oneworlded

Administrator
Jun 4, 2004
Murrica
chrisdixonreports.com
I can completely relate. Wrote this after a shoulder landing.

oneworlded

Administrator
Jun 4, 2004
Murrica
chrisdixonreports.com
@oneworlded , that was an enjoyable read. It was written in 2019, so which road did you take?
I haven't been skating much at all in the past year and a half. But I DID start back up after I wrote that article. I tore my right miniscus awhile back and skating exacerbated (maybe caused) it - in my right knee. It wasn't some instant injury that caused it but I think cumulative. It was NOT working well for better part of 2021. I think I over yoga'd it too.Finally went for an MRI and found I had almost no cartilage between femur and tibia. I could surf - not hard at all, but could mountain bike basically as hard as I wanted. Weird injury. I got two shots of PRP therapy in my knee and in the ensuing year. (last injection was, I think, Feb) that has helped a ton. A TON. Thinking I might start skating the park again - carefully - in the fall. Basically, I'm wrestling with - I love mountain biking, my son rips on an MTB , skate or surfboard. I think PRP has made my knee well enough that I can snowboard again starting this winter. And I can still surf pretty hard. Does it make sense to skate again if I can do 3 out of those 4? Especially bc I can do 'em with my son? I think skating has the highest risk of making me unable to do the other three.
erbb wisdom welcomed.
My son lining it up at Sugar Mountain, NC last weekend. NC is so on fire with mountain bike options it's ridiculous.
1660147356465.png

Last edited:

bruhdakine

Miki Dora status
Jul 7, 2003
PNW
I haven't been skating much at all in the past year and a half. But I DID start back up after I wrote that article. I tore my right miniscus awhile back and skating exacerbated (maybe caused) it - in my right knee. It wasn't some instant injury that caused it but I think cumulative. It was NOT working well for better part of 2021. I think I over yoga'd it too.Finally went for an MRI and found I had almost no cartilage between femur and tibia. I could surf - not hard at all, but could mountain bike basically as hard as I wanted. Weird injury. I got two shots of PRP therapy in my knee and in the ensuing year. (last injection was, I think, Feb) that has helped a ton. A TON. Thinking I might start skating the park again - carefully - in the fall. Basically, I'm wrestling with - I love mountain biking, my son rips on an MTB , skate or surfboard. I think PRP has made my knee well enough that I can snowboard again starting this winter. And I can still surf pretty hard. Does it make sense to skate again if I can do 3 out of those 4? Especially bc I can do 'em with my son? I think skating has the highest risk of making me unable to do the other three.
erbb wisdom welcomed.
My son lining it up at Sugar Mountain, NC last weekend. NC is so on fire with mountain bike options it's ridiculous.
View attachment 135641
Hell yeah! I'm similar, My teenaged kids are high level snowboarder and skier and I take every chance I can get to be out there with them, filming, shredding, supporting, whatever. I feel like my time with them is waning quickly so I try to make the most of every chance I can get. I snowboard, snowskate, surf, river surf, wake surf, mtn. bike, whatever with them. The one thing I don't really do is skate (for reasons we have been discussing - I will join them for a ramp session in the garage but that's about it), but I'll still 'clip them up' at the skatepark. I feel lucky that they are generally pretty stoked to have their old man around. Most of their friends don't have their parents around when they're shredding for whatever reason. I say do whatever you can to stay active and keep shredding in whatever fashion you do it, and do it with your son as long as you can.
Looks like he's ready to go crush it here. Good luck keeping up.

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
...I could surf - not hard at all, but could mountain bike basically as hard as I wanted. Weird injury. I got two shots of PRP therapy in my knee and in the ensuing year. (last injection was, I think, Feb) that has helped a ton. A TON. Thinking I might start skating the park again - carefully - in the fall. Basically, I'm wrestling with - I love mountain biking, my son rips on an MTB , skate or surfboard. I think PRP has made my knee well enough that I can snowboard again starting this winter. And I can still surf pretty hard. Does it make sense to skate again if I can do 3 out of those 4? Especially bc I can do 'em with my son? I think skating has the highest risk of making me unable to do the other three.
erbb wisdom welcomed.
Everyone's ability and situation is different. For me to take up MTB safely now, is out of the question - I was never good on a bike. Snowboard riskier than skateboard for me. My skateboard injury toll is 2 broken collar bones and a slightly displaced AC joint - left shoulder. AC joint not troubling me for paddling my surfboar. Right AC joint more displaced from a bicycle accident which also broke my collarbone. Was hit by a car - bicycle bent and a write off. Right shoulder not troubling me for paddling either.

Also posterior dislocation of right shoulder - which after getting put back in at A&E and with some rest and rehab left my shoulder remarkably intact - no labrum damage, tendons not torn, I am hyper flexible which has its advantages and disadvantages when it comes to resisting injury. Bust ribs, ribs heal fine - just need to avoid laughing and sneezing for a month.

I have avoided knee damage so far - touch wood. I've also done more hours of skateboarding than surfing for the last 17 years. Currently got a lot of enthusiasm for skating so I am going to carry on. I wish I was better at it though and get a bit frustrated with my lack of ability. My background, started skating in 1975 - flatground freestyle and makeshift wooden quarter pipes only. Some big transition vert in my mid/late twenties, then gave up for 15 years before restarting. I wish I hadn't given it away during those years, I would be better at it now if I had kept it up.

From your description of your skate history I would guess you are quite good at MTB. Then consider that it doesn't trouble your knee and that you place skating as the riskiest of your sports, I can see that where to go next is not so clear for you!

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
when I bruised my ribs last month a couple of the regulars rushed over and were very concerned. I'm lik I'm ok man, just embarrassed! It's funny how concerned they were.
+1 same some times evengoing to kneepads and making a lot of noise all the kids would be like "are you alright man" :drowning: I did same young guy under 20 hit head hard on metal coping fs grind then slammed head again hard on bottom no pads:crazy2: He brushed it off like nothing happen and bailed in car:foreheadslap:

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
I can completely relate. Wrote this after a shoulder landing.
Great article. Check our "Poast your strenf training program" thread. Weightlifting (squatting, in particular) also increases proprioception along with bone density and connective tissue.

Hip and shoulder pads seem like a real good idea. I talked to a guy at the skate park who was there with his son who was trying to convince his son to wear hip pads though he had on all the other gear. He had a coach for his kid who made him practice falling on the transition ramp.

I found this:

Reactions: rowjimmytour

Northern_Shores

Miki Dora status
Mar 30, 2009
Hadn't thought of the SUP corollary - but we're never around more than 1 or 2 passing skateboarders once in a while - the resources we're using aren't coveted by skateboarders so I guess it's not the same as with SUPs. I would never dream of taking these things into a skatepark or at least not if anyone was around. Where we go we are the only people on Hamboards and virtually the only people on skateboards - its more 4 wheel six seater pedal rentals, tricycles, bicycles, pedestrians 2 and 3 abreast, joggers - so we're not in anyone's way. People generally find the Hamboard intriguing, want to know where I rented it, where you get them, etc.

I had a 36 foot long half pipe in my driveway for a while so we took our regular Element skateboards to Wildwood, NJ one year and they just stunk on the rough concrete boardwalk - they really wouldn't coast. So that year I bought a Sector 9 longboard, the longest one, and with the bigger wheels and wheelbase it was like it had shock absorbers and it really coasted well - it was really fun and my kids disappeared with it so I had to buy another one each trip. The following year in Ocean City Maryland I saw a street sweeper pole and a Hamboard in a shop - I bought the Street Sweeper and it was really fun with the Sector 9 longboard on the wooden boardwalk (off season). Then I just kept thinking about that Hamboard - as crazy as it was - so I got the first Hamboard - so fun - you can go for literally miles and miles and it turns much tighter than you would think - there are cams and springs in the trucks that turn the wheels as you tilt the board.
Can you please not participate in this thread? :roflmao:

Maybe try this one:

Reactions: rowjimmytour