The Skaters of the ERBB

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
That pump track looks great - I wish there was something like that near me. My wife and I have Hamboards - she learned to skate on one (first time on a skateboard) at 56. Really fun where there's a big concrete boardwalk and there are some blacktop bike trails near us that we go to. And all those ADA compliant sidewalk ramps at intersections and how they've ground down the concrete edges of sidewalks for wheelchairs make for some fun riding through town. With the Street Sweeper pole you can really cruise and you can use your legs for propulsion by dropping your body while holding the pole on the ground, especially uphill or against the wind. Its more fun and you feel more control with bare feet so we got those Vibram toe shoes for protection and feel at the same time.
View attachment 134565
I mean no offense by this pj, but I’m wondering if people consider that the skateboarding equivalent of SUP?

Reactions: rowjimmytour

N2Stock

OTF status
Mar 13, 2022
That pump track looks great - I wish there was something like that near me. My wife and I have Hamboards - she learned to skate on one (first time on a skateboard) at 56. Really fun where there's a big concrete boardwalk and there are some blacktop bike trails near us that we go to. And all those ADA compliant sidewalk ramps at intersections and how they've ground down the concrete edges of sidewalks for wheelchairs make for some fun riding through town. With the Street Sweeper pole you can really cruise and you can use your legs for propulsion by dropping your body while holding the pole on the ground, especially uphill or against the wind. Its more fun and you feel more control with bare feet so we got those Vibram toe shoes for protection and feel at the same time.
View attachment 134565
:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

smithgrind

Nep status
Dec 25, 2009
PNW
I was obsessed with pool skating vids growing up in the NE in the 70s/80s and the bowl/pool at the local park looks pretty legit. First time I saw it I’m all wtf is this doing here. It’s huge and I don’t think anyone rides it. At all.

But I’m not sure how many slams I can take in the off season on top of the inevitable snowboarding ones.
Snowboard slams have fcuked me harder than skate slams. As a life long skater I would say give it a go when you
have the proper pads and practice falling (knee sliding) correctly. Riding in a big bowl allows for more reaction time
when you're bailing and that's a good thing. Not sure what your skill level is but skating is so fun, especially transition.

PJ

Gerry Lopez status
Jan 27, 2002
Shrub Oak,N.Y.,USA
Good point
i was curious, but what do I care?
Hadn't thought of the SUP corollary - but we're never around more than 1 or 2 passing skateboarders once in a while - the resources we're using aren't coveted by skateboarders so I guess it's not the same as with SUPs. I would never dream of taking these things into a skatepark or at least not if anyone was around. Where we go we are the only people on Hamboards and virtually the only people on skateboards - its more 4 wheel six seater pedal rentals, tricycles, bicycles, pedestrians 2 and 3 abreast, joggers - so we're not in anyone's way. People generally find the Hamboard intriguing, want to know where I rented it, where you get them, etc.

I had a 36 foot long half pipe in my driveway for a while so we took our regular Element skateboards to Wildwood, NJ one year and they just stunk on the rough concrete boardwalk - they really wouldn't coast. So that year I bought a Sector 9 longboard, the longest one, and with the bigger wheels and wheelbase it was like it had shock absorbers and it really coasted well - it was really fun and my kids disappeared with it so I had to buy another one each trip. The following year in Ocean City Maryland I saw a street sweeper pole and a Hamboard in a shop - I bought the Street Sweeper and it was really fun with the Sector 9 longboard on the wooden boardwalk (off season). Then I just kept thinking about that Hamboard - as crazy as it was - so I got the first Hamboard - so fun - you can go for literally miles and miles and it turns much tighter than you would think - there are cams and springs in the trucks that turn the wheels as you tilt the board.

• Sad

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
pump track is fun for a bit and a good workout. You don't see a lot of core skaters there but a lot of older pros like it, I assume mostly for the workout.

I went a few times when it opened but it got boring pretty quickly and I haven't been in quite some time.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Hadn't thought of the SUP corollary - but we're never around more than 1 or 2 passing skateboarders once in a while - the resources we're using aren't coveted by skateboarders so I guess it's not the same as with SUPs. I would never dream of taking these things into a skatepark or at least not if anyone was around. Where we go we are the only people on Hamboards and virtually the only people on skateboards - its more 4 wheel six seater pedal rentals, tricycles, bicycles, pedestrians 2 and 3 abreast, joggers - so we're not in anyone's way. People generally find the Hamboard intriguing, want to know where I rented it, where you get them, etc.

I had a 36 foot long half pipe in my driveway for a while so we took our regular Element skateboards to Wildwood, NJ one year and they just stunk on the rough concrete boardwalk - they really wouldn't coast. So that year I bought a Sector 9 longboard, the longest one, and with the bigger wheels and wheelbase it was like it had shock absorbers and it really coasted well - it was really fun and my kids disappeared with it so I had to buy another one each trip. The following year in Ocean City Maryland I saw a street sweeper pole and a Hamboard in a shop - I bought the Street Sweeper and it was really fun with the Sector 9 longboard on the wooden boardwalk (off season). Then I just kept thinking about that Hamboard - as crazy as it was - so I got the first Hamboard - so fun - you can go for literally miles and miles and it turns much tighter than you would think - there are cams and springs in the trucks that turn the wheels as you tilt the board.
Indyz with bone bushing medium hand tight then 1/4 turn with sk8 tool allows plenty of turn in tight spaces specially in pools even ones designed to swim in but make great sk8 bowls. I like a flatter non concave deck for cruising strreets "bat cab" 10" wide but favorite deck works. Next all terrain wheels 60mm+ favorite core sk8 company. I prefer 69mm bones ATF "snake skins and good bearings like swish bones or deal breaker equal good rocking rons. Learn to pump for speed and push off good work out and don't understand why a paddle would be needed on land:foreheadslap: unless you like to be center of unnecessary attention and like people to look at you:shrug:

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
THis has been going around the network today and it's just awesome. Some old dudes just having fun

If Lucero is around gotta be good sk8'in :cheers:

Reactions: silentbutdeadly

Northern_Shores

Miki Dora status
Mar 30, 2009
Today I practiced my crooked grind. The king of all grinds. Hopefully I will do them consistently by the end of the month :)

I'm the worst skator I know of, but still I must go to the park 3 times a week just to keep my level . It would be ok to be trash and go skate once a month, but having to skate that much just to be sh!t is wild :/

Last edited:

bruhdakine

Miki Dora status
Jul 7, 2003
PNW
I wouldn't recommend trying to learn how to skate to anyone over the age of like 20. You will almost certainly slam. Not trying to be a downer. I love skating. I just think the skill of falling without hurting yourself is a thing best learned when young and lightweight.
I decided I was going to 'get back into it' (I skated some as a teen and in college but wasn't any good) when my kids got into it about 9 years ago (I was 39). Long story short, I was having a fun sessh at Lincoln City with them and feeling like I was progressing a bit and them BOOM, super bad separated AC joint, arm in a sling all summer and it's never been the same. Aruka is right, you will slam. If you are good with that, get after it. I decided that day that my kids can have skating and I'll stay with surf and snow. I have friends my age who rip but they got good as kids or in their early 20's and never stopped. I am happy to be the photographer at the skate park. I see the slams my teenagers take and they get up and shake it off and try the trick again, where the same slam would send me to the hospital.

youcantbeserious

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 29, 2020
Location location
Today I practiced my crooked grind. The king of all grinds. Hopefully I will do them consistently by the end of the month :)

I'm the worst skator I know of, but still I must go to the park 3 times a week just to keep my level . It would be ok to be trash and go skate once a month, but having to skate that much just to be sh!t is wild :/
You and me both brother

• Love
Reactions: Northern_Shores

smithgrind

Nep status
Dec 25, 2009
PNW
I decided I was going to 'get back into it' (I skated some as a teen and in college but wasn't any good) when my kids got into it about 9 years ago (I was 39). Long story short, I was having a fun sessh at Lincoln City with them and feeling like I was progressing a bit and them BOOM, super bad separated AC joint, arm in a sling all summer and it's never been the same. Aruka is right, you will slam.
LC is no kiddie park. Good on you for giving it a go.

Reactions: bruhdakine