The Skaters of the ERBB

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Don't listen to the haters. Get a board and go skating :)
I was obsessed with pool skating vids growing up in the NE in the 70s/80s and the bowl/pool at the local park looks pretty legit. First time I saw it I’m all wtf is this doing here. It’s huge and I don’t think anyone rides it. At all.

But I’m not sure how many slams I can take in the off season on top of the inevitable snowboarding ones.

It still may happen if I can find the right pads
1658668529959.gif

Reactions: rowjimmytour

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
I went to Kapolei to skate the bowls after work today. The sun is in your eyes until golden hour so I just rolled around the deck, grinded the mellow quarter pipes and slappied the parking blocks. I came out of a 50-50 slappy into wheel bite, next thing I know I’m looking up at the clouds. You don’t have to skate the bowls to slam. Haha.

teeroi cursed me. had a great session then hit this incline wedge that I do a frontside 5-0 slappy on and I stick, launching me forward. slammed in a weird way and bruised my ribs. fark me... on a little trick I do just playing around. now it hurts to laugh and sit in most positions.

• Wow
Reactions: teeroi

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
teeroi cursed me. had a great session then hit this incline wedge that I do a frontside 5-0 slappy on and I stick, launching me forward. slammed in a weird way and bruised my ribs. fark me... on a little trick I do just playing around. now it hurts to laugh and sit in most positions.
Uhhh sorry? Welcome to the club? Take your pick.

Brah! The young hot roller skater lady and hottie yoga pants skater were rolling around when I packed on my back. I gave out a dramatic laugh like no big deal and popped up right away. Skated to the old street part and hid behind the big hubba to grimace and stretch out my back. Can’t show weakness. Haha.

PJ

Gerry Lopez status
Jan 27, 2002
Shrub Oak,N.Y.,USA
I wouldn't consider myself a "skater" by any stretch of the imagination, but I spent some years at DMSR back in the day and haven't really been on a skateboard since the early 90's. My buddy took me to the Carmel Valley pump track a couple weeks ago, and I've never had so much fun on a skateboard. I've been back about 5 times in the past couple weeks. Ended up buying a nice little board to ride there. I totally suck, but it's so fun, and I'm hooked. Seems like the early morning crowds are all dads over 50 like me, just getting back on a board to re-live their youth :ROFLMAO:

Here's a little clip of a leg burner this morning that my buddy shot of me.

That pump track looks great - I wish there was something like that near me. My wife and I have Hamboards - she learned to skate on one (first time on a skateboard) at 56. Really fun where there's a big concrete boardwalk and there are some blacktop bike trails near us that we go to. And all those ADA compliant sidewalk ramps at intersections and how they've ground down the concrete edges of sidewalks for wheelchairs make for some fun riding through town. With the Street Sweeper pole you can really cruise and you can use your legs for propulsion by dropping your body while holding the pole on the ground, especially uphill or against the wind. Its more fun and you feel more control with bare feet so we got those Vibram toe shoes for protection and feel at the same time.
PJ Celeste Hamboards.jpg

therarebirdshow

OTF status
Jan 28, 2013
www.amazon.com
Get pads and learn how to fall
learn how to fall
again learn how to fall

running out of bails is fine. Until it isn’t!
Learned this the hard way.

Had grown up with skating as a mode of transportation, but never properly skated until I moved to the East Bay in my 30s and couldn't regularly surf. I'd always wanted to skate bowls and now had access and motivation.

The learning curve wasn't terrible. It's so nice having a thing that's just there that you can practice over and over. Went from mellow transitions to mini bowls to the big bowl. Got to a point where I could flow different lines, carve frontside and backside, slash grind and do the occasional 50-50 (something about the coping always tripped me out), but I never learned to properly fall.

One day I was taking it easy, basically just trying to get a workout in the mini bowl before work, lost my balance on a frontside carve, tried to run out of it and broke my leg. Was lying at the bottom of the bowl like an idiot, no other skaters around, with my foot facing 90 degrees out.

I haven't skated since. I definitely miss it, but now I'm back somewhere I can surf everyday I don't have the same urge. If I start again, I'd go slow and make sure I learn to knee slide.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
I wouldn't recommend trying to learn how to skate to anyone over the age of like 20. You will almost certainly slam. Not trying to be a downer. I love skating. I just think the skill of falling without hurting yourself is a thing best learned when young and lightweight.
Fully padded still slammed hard and fun as fuk.but you got to know your limit and stay within and be happy with fs and bs carve grinds and when you go 50/50 be prepared for hard slam when you push it. I stopped bowl skating because my limits and got bored same lines and wanted to save my skin for surf. Combo bowls are a blast and can feel like surfing from going to fs carve in bowl to flat wall bs is like a nice gutback with rebound off ww:cheers:

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
I was obsessed with pool skating vids growing up in the NE in the 70s/80s and the bowl/pool at the local park looks pretty legit. First time I saw it I’m all wtf is this doing here. It’s huge and I don’t think anyone rides it. At all.

But I’m not sure how many slams I can take in the off season on top of the inevitable snowboarding ones.

It still may happen if I can find the right pads
View attachment 134514
187 killer pads go pro:shaka:

What ever you do don't get derby wrist guards they have a palm shell that if you eat sh*t hard with hands out digs into your palm and cuts the fuk out of you:cursing:Another bad habit do not try and put your hands out to catch yourself when falling roll with it instead or even better go to knees.

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
187 killer pads go pro:shaka:

What ever you do don't get derby wrist guards they have a palm shell that if you eat sh*t hard with hands out digs into your palm and cuts the fuk out of you:cursing:Another bad habit do not try and put your hands out to catch yourself when falling roll with it instead or even better go to knees.
Thanks for the pad advice.

I got lucky many moons ago and forced myself to learn how to fall by taking some judo.
The pool in question

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Thanks for the pad advice.

I got lucky many moons ago and forced myself to learn how to fall by taking some judo.
The pool in question
Yes but when you get older bad habit of having hands out to break fall:bricks: When you do get pads and sk8 bowl good to practice sliding down wall on knees to get used to it and make it come natural:cheers: