Michael Peterson status
May 14, 2005
I agree, park footage is too common

back in the day it was only okay if you were really killing it

santacruzin

Kelly Slater status
Oct 17, 2007
valley purgatory
haha. Very true. Like skatepark hand rails.

And whats the deal with all this skate park footage from free skater now-adays. I remember it was frowned upon to film at a park. You had to actually go out and find spots and wax up ledges for hours to make then rideable and it was exciting to find a new spot to film or a new rail no one has ever hit. Seems totally different now adays.
Still true amongst a lot of skaters. All the bowl/tranny guys have made it more acceptable but if you released a street part filmed entirely in a park you would be roasted.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
haha. Very true. Like skatepark hand rails.

And whats the deal with all this skate park footage from free skater now-adays. I remember it was frowned upon to film at a park. You had to actually go out and find spots and wax up ledges for hours to make then rideable and it was exciting to find a new spot to film or a new rail no one has ever hit. Seems totally different now adays.
I think it's that parks are so commonplace nowdays they are a basic part of every skater's diet.

My skating days were the mid-late 90s/early 2000s, parks were few and far between and it seemed the guys who skated parks stayed in the parks and ripped them...the rest of us showed up and were afraid to ollie the pyramid.

Also now everything is skatestoppered or designed to be unskateable when constructed so the parks are a safe space.

• Haha
Reactions: ReForest

billypilgrim

Nep status
Apr 19, 2017
In my opinion it should be a no go for actual video parts. Go out and work for your clips. That being said, I always thought it was cool seeing the park footy from tour demos in Hot Chocolate and the few park clips sprinkled throughout Enjoi Bag of Suck worked well too.

I thought there might have been some in Volcom's Chichagof and went back to look. That was such a good video. Wish I still had my copy

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
I think it's that parks are so commonplace nowdays they are a basic part of every skater's diet.

My skating days were the mid-late 90s/early 2000s, parks were few and far between and it seemed the guys who skated parks stayed in the parks and ripped them...the rest of us showed up and were afraid to ollie the pyramid.

Also now everything is skatestoppered or designed to be unskateable when constructed so the parks are a safe space.
yea skateparks were just not a thing in my day. you had powell skate zone in SB or YMCA in Encinitas. both too far to be a consistant thing for me.

in my hood we had what we called "mann jams" named after the mann theatres upper parking lot where like 50-100 kids would show up every friday saturday night, bring ramps and boxes and skate until the cops came. pros like ryan kenreich, josh beagle, adam mcnatt all frequented.

when HB high got the little park it was like holy sh!t and that park sucked but we loved it. got to skate with some legends there too.

Reactions: casa_mugrienta

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
@CutnSnip I remember when HB park first came out. That place did suck! lol. But there was some crazy lines that went down there. That little flat bar and bank were the sh!t! RIP HB Park! :cry:

Reactions: CutnSnip

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Late 70z early 80z had to parks close before I turned 12 but first to close "sparks" was a great park with some fun bowls compared to 2nd "golf'Nfun which closed around '82. After we had a very rough gutter set up we called the "walls" and I was able to talk my dad into a backyard 1/2 pipe for a little while until neighbors complained:toilet:

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
@CutnSnip I remember when HB park first came out. That place did suck! lol. But there was some crazy lines that went down there. That little flat bar and bank were the sh!t! RIP HB Park! :cry:
it was fun for sure, pretty chaotic but stoked to have a place we didnt get kicked out of. That weird lopsided pyramid was a blast if you stuck to the one side of it. plus you could hop the fence and skate the tables at HB High.

Reactions: santacruzin

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
RIP Pier 7. again

Probably doesn't help when the news van shows up.

Screen Shot 2021-12-08 at 3.25.54 PM.png
I don't know how long it has been "unblocked" again, but the city blocked it up in the last week.
It was great seeing how many people would post up and skate the concrete boxes there when I would drive home or run by in the evening. Everyone was super mellow and a lot of guys ripped. I was pretty bummed to see it all skate stopped again.

Last edited:
  • Love

santacruzin

Kelly Slater status
Oct 17, 2007
valley purgatory
Justin destroying a curb in Los Altos pre pandemic F939D719-BB38-48EB-9DB9-571D9CA83B68.jpeg

just found some funny old pics. Somewhere I have some of Antwaun when he was trying a comeback 3 years ago, need to find those,

Last edited:
Reactions: Waterlogged05

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
This group of crazy So CA skaters showed up at my local park one day and this dude would do these crazy a$$ carve slides "kinda aka Duane Peters with less attitude more humor". He would carve slide up coping and sit on top of bowl "mili second" then jump back on total seat of pants mad speed but kinda slowed down with goof ball tricks. Turns out guy had no pivot rubber hold kingpin on his trackor trucks:socrazy:

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
RIP Pier 7. again

Probably doesn't help when the news van shows up.

View attachment 120420
I don't know how long it has been "unblocked" again, but the city blocked it up in the last week.
It was great seeing how many people would post up and skate the concrete boxes there when I would drive home or run by in the evening. Everyone was super mellow and a lot of guys ripped. I was pretty bummed to see it all skate stopped again.
Pretty fvckin' amazing, isn't it?

A city where people sh!t and **** on the sidewalk at will, petty theft is OK, where homelessness is a popular lifestyle choice, where women get shot and killed by ex-con illegal immigrants (a few blocks away from that very place) and junkies stick glass bottles up their asses in public... and yet somehow they've made every effort over the decades to make that place unskateable.

It's great they have their priorities straight.