The Random Photo Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveT

Phil Edwards status
Apr 11, 2005
Ran across this in another random thread.
WWII German tank.
WAIT A MINUTE! Is that the devil running with a surfboard?
48401114276_ba34e161b4_o.jpg

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
I think it’s an A7V tank from World War l (I spent 3 years as a youth with my playground along the Maginot Line In the early 1950s). Could be wrong at my age due to memory however...
Do you use Google Image search? It's rad. Go to Google Images and drag/drop that image into the search window.
Looks like you're correct.

The A7V Sturmpanzerwagen known as Mephisto was immobilised in an area close to Villers-Bretonneux called Monument Wood. In July 1918 a detachment of soldiers from the 26th Battalion, mainly comprised of Queenslanders, helped recover the abandoned tank and drag it back to the allied lines. It was sent to Australia as a war trophy, arriving at Norman Wharf in June 1919 where it was towed by two Brisbane City Council steamrollers to the Queensland Museum, then located in Fortitude Valley. It remains the sole surviving A7V tank in the world. Combat History here:
https://www.qm.qld.gov.au/Find+out+about/Histories+of+Queensland/Conflict/Mephisto/Combat+history

Reactions: john4surf

SteveT

Phil Edwards status
Apr 11, 2005
Do you use Google Image search? It's rad. Go to Google Images and drag/drop that image into the search window.
Looks like you're correct.

The A7V Sturmpanzerwagen known as Mephisto was immobilised in an area close to Villers-Bretonneux called Monument Wood. In July 1918 a detachment of soldiers from the 26th Battalion, mainly comprised of Queenslanders, helped recover the abandoned tank and drag it back to the allied lines. It was sent to Australia as a war trophy, arriving at Norman Wharf in June 1919 where it was towed by two Brisbane City Council steamrollers to the Queensland Museum, then located in Fortitude Valley. It remains the sole surviving A7V tank in the world. Combat History here:
https://www.qm.qld.gov.au/Find+out+about/Histories+of+Queensland/Conflict/Mephisto/Combat+history
Wow! Thanks for the history lesson.
I am still dumbfounded by the image of the devil, running with what appears to be a HPSB.
Was it a quad or thruster? Maybe a Simmons?
Inquiring minds want to know.

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
Wow! Thanks for the history lesson.
I am still dumbfounded by the image of the devil, running with what appears to be a HPSB.
Was it a quad or thruster? Maybe a Simmons?
Inquiring minds want to know.

Found it: devil is carrying a British rhomboidal tank (sure does look like a surfboard)

Status
Not open for further replies.