The Random Photo Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
I like how they lied in the passed.

So when they say there is no plane now you just have to wink at them.

What is the use of a plane like that?

But like they say, there is no new plane.

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
They have of those or maybe it was a prototype at the LACounty Science Museum, all stainless steel. It always strikes me as very surfy surfy.
That is an A-12, the prototype and only one built. It was the first plane built mainly of all titanium (not stainless steel).

The B21 Raider is the next stealth in development.

As for the Aurora project, from what I've read (obviously just rumors), it's a scrapped project. I had heard they don't have the technology / engineering yet to control the speed they can create now for aircraft. I'm sure they have tested similar speed-demon tech in drones.

Basically, we might be reaching upper limits of what's possible given existing known technology, and that something groundbreaking like engines that can manipulate magnetic fields would be the next logical step and start the building/learning process all over again for engineers.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
What is the use of a plane like that?
Spy planes can change their route faster and more cheaply than orbital spy systems. Satellites follow proscribed paths that can be charted easily and without much effort.

True, we have a new long term changeable route orbiting "space plane", but, sometimes you don't need to use the star player for all missions.

Edit;

Jupiter and Saturn together in the sky was pretty nifty last night. My telescope easily picked out the 4 Galilean moons of Jupiter and maybe Titan, but that was harder to tell 100%, even with the higher magnification (some blur from the wind didn't help). Had to change focus going between seeing the cloud bands on Jupiter vs rings of Saturn. Anyway, here is a version of the conjunction (at canopy treeline) with an earthly volcano to spice things up even more:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.