The Ranch to get public access?

sizzld1

Phil Edwards status
Mar 31, 2009
Greg Griffin said:
Betty’s house just above Sharks cove

Sold it to Jack Oneills daughter recently

Invasion imminent

Her house upper left with white fence - the Hook just above , Sharks Cove directly below

Myself , Croteau and friends in her backyard 1968-9

Love that house and property. Thanks for the throwback shots GG. :cheers:

sizzld1

Phil Edwards status
Mar 31, 2009
Do you know what Jack's daughter has planned for the house? It needs some updating inside. I just hope she doesn't go crazy, tear the whole thing down, and build another god-awful "modern" home like most of the others built in recent times on the cliffs.

Leaverite

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
Interesting.

Jacks daughter owns the 60+ acre piece of property next to my dads property up in Corralitos. Her horse ranch.

Leaverite

Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
The coastal commission just did a ruling affecting a group of homeowners in Rio Del Mar. If you drive south from the Rio flats towards platform its the group of houses on the ocean side of Aptos Beach Drive.

Now the public has access through their yards on the beach side of their homes. Growing up there as a kid I can never remember that being considered public access. Its their front yards! Not like there is a bottleneck to the public to begin with. Just walk 15 feet farther out and walk past on the beach.

We really are one step away from a communist state here in California.

Leaverite

Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
hal9000 said:
mundus said:
This is a tough one, the landowners seem like a bunch of dickheads. However they are right that if opened to public the place will be ruined.
It's private land. Why does everyone need access to it? And yes, public access will absolutely ruin the place. Surfers pretty much ruin everything. Just look at Malibu and the North Shore for examples.
Unrestricted public access is the ultimate ruin of everything that needs protecting.

One Minute till Midnight.

10 years from now, as things keep going like they are going there will be 36 Billion people living on this planet.

Back in the 1970's it was 4 Billion.

ShiverMeTimbers

Mar 21, 2006
Gig Harbor
www.peistcharters.com
Even if its half that, 18 Billion, a good percentage will feel entitled to live the lifestyle along the coast. How many people does it take to make a spot "crowded"? 15? 10? 22? Good luck throwing money at that problem, it ain't gonna work.

toPBk

Miki Dora status
Mar 27, 2002
North Pacific Beach, CA
000 said:
i have no access to the ranch
i will never go there
but i think its beautiful as is and should remain private
IMO perfectly stated!

(and I Amtracked to Scout event in Oregon summer of 2017 while watching cute lil SW fill in through there - so awesome - so -- dare I say pristine - log paradise on those days!! and holy poop the inshore KELP - spearo's dreams as well!!! no need for all us f_ucktards to go ruiing that (seriously))

jettylocal

Michael Peterson status
May 23, 2002
jettygirlsurfmag.com
toPBk said:
000 said:
i have no access to the ranch
i will never go there
but i think its beautiful as is and should remain private
IMO perfectly stated!

(and I Amtracked to Scout event in Oregon summer of 2017 while watching cute lil SW fill in through there - so awesome - so -- dare I say pristine - log paradise on those days!! and holy poop the inshore KELP - spearo's dreams as well!!! no need for all us f_ucktards to go ruiing that (seriously))
I don't know exactly what has happened over the past year especially, but the spots I've always surfed are unbearable now. Whenever I see a local, they're off to the side looking dejected or fighting at the peak while a bunch of clueless joe's drop in and go left on rights and vice versa. Parents going straight to the peak and pushing their kids into sets. All new faces that seemingly don't work or go to school and are out there all day, every day. It's the worst.

Like 000, I'll probably never go there, but I've always admired and dreamed about that place since I was a kid. Public access would ruin it virtually overnight.

perfect_wave

OTF status
Dec 5, 2002
My take on this is they should leave the Ranch alone and keep it private.
Even if the walking/biking trail is 10 miles, the masses will come, bring their f-ing e-bikes (think trestles) and trample all over the place. The ranch owners are also hypocrites about preservation—they drive trucks on the beach, ride their e-bikes, bring dogs on the beach, etc. And cattle ranches are not environmentally friendly.

Seems like most of the time, the waves at the Ranch are mushburgers. Sure, there are primo days at the primo spots, but I’m thinking for that amount of money, you could do many, many trips to Central America and get way better, way more consistent waves if you know where to go.

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
Every time I see threads like this I'm just glad the military bases in California and Hawaii still have some prime surf spots. Public access ruins things because human beings and a lot of "surfers" are greedy and self absorbed a-holes. At least every surf spot on the planet won't be ruined by complainers that think they should be given access to private land.

I live nowhere near the ranch and will likely never surf it. But, I think it should remain as is. If you want it then you have to work for it.

perfect_wave

OTF status
Dec 5, 2002
Muscles said:
Every time I see threads like this I'm just glad the military bases in California and Hawaii still have some prime surf spots. Public access ruins things because human beings and a lot of "surfers" are greedy and self absorbed a-holes. At least every surf spot on the planet won't be ruined by complainers that think they should be given access to private land.

I live nowhere near the ranch and will likely never surf it. But, I think it should remain as is. If you want it then you have to work for it.
Yep, you nailed it. Surfers are the WORST.

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
Muscles said:

I surfed Mugu in July on that XL hurricane swell. Was epic but 100 guys out.

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
If there are any folks with ranch access, I'll gladly trade some days there for some summer days at Mugu. Serious offer.

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
Never surfed Mugu but I've been there for work and seen it going off with no one in sight since it was a mid morning weekday.

Did have some epic days on Pendleton when I lived in California. There were times when the Oside jetty would be packed and the base side would have three people out. Same with Chuch just past San O. Although you could technically walk up the beach most people didn't unless the swell was big. I've surfed there a bunch with only a handful of others.

Oahu has some epic breaks on base and the base keeps it locked down tight. I've caught some epic swells with less than 10 people in the water.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
StinkinHippie said:
If there are any folks with ranch access, I'll gladly trade some days there for some summer days at Mugu. Serious offer.
I used to do contract work on Mugu.

Good times.

That wave is ridiculous.