The Ranch to get public access?

bonzer5fin

Duke status
May 9, 2006
your mom
https://www.latimes.com/local/california/la-me-hollister-ranch-settlement-20181228-story.html?fbclid=IwAR1nNZnp6zjUrV-ULJeP1qQSUDtVYaGPmNQLqRF_QTREyk7miIfzqLbuqm4

Discuss.

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
This is a tough one, the landowners seem like a bunch of dickheads. However they are right that if opened to public the place will be ruined.

Bohter

Michael Peterson status
Mar 7, 2006
Public access would be a disaster.

Take the survey and voice your opinion here >
http://www.gaviotacoastconservancy.org/

Will The Nature Conservancy (old Bixby) allow similar access?

Access is already there....for those strong enough to paddle in....as the article says. :roflmao:

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
mundus said:
This is a tough one, the landowners seem like a bunch of dickheads. However they are right that if opened to public the place will be ruined.
Article says they want picnic tables and bathrooms.

Absolutely it will be ruined.

And I guarantee you that those going to meetings clamoring for “access” will never set foot there.

This is all based purely on envy.

You have to drive by the entire (publicly open) gaviota coast just to get to the gate there. Why does this unspoiled 8 mile piece of beach have to be ruined?

Envy.

Reactions: noone999

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
The situation with Private’s in Capitola, while far smaller in scale, is even more rediculous in principal. The beach is not even private, anyone can buy a key ($75/year, I think?). Even if you don’t want to pay, there are literally miles of public beaches access points in both directions, including some directly adjacent to Private’s, with cheap if not free parking.

But no, people can’t be bothered going to another beach literally a stones throw away. Every beach needs free access, parking, bathrooms, everything!!! :toilet:

sizzld1

Phil Edwards status
Mar 31, 2009
grapedrink said:
The situation with Private’s in Capitola, while far smaller in scale, is even more rediculous in principal. The beach is not even private, anyone can buy a key ($75/year, I think?). Even if you don’t want to pay, there are literally miles of public beaches access points in both directions, including some directly adjacent to Private’s, with cheap if not free parking.

But no, people can’t be bothered going to another beach literally a stones throw away. Every beach needs free access, parking, bathrooms, everything!!! :toilet:
My folks were telling me surf schools have already moved into Privates bringing vans full of kooks, blocking driveways, and being loud and obnoxious as most surf schools are. Can't wait till they head down on a nice summer day and find out the other reason the place got its name. Dark times.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
sizzld1 said:
grapedrink said:

My folks were telling me surf schools have already moved into Privates bringing vans full of kooks, blocking driveways, and being loud and obnoxious as most surf schools are. Can't wait till they head down on a nice summer day and find out the other reason the place got its name. Dark times.
Yeah fook that. NPR out of SF did a whole segment on beach access where they talked about the ranch, private’s, Martins beach, etc. One of the panelists was saying, “what about someone from San Jose who visits for the day and doesn’t have a key or the money to buy one?” :roflmao: :rolleyes:

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
grapedrink said:

Hell, you can walk from 1st Point to the Capitola Wharf at low tide

griffinsurfboard

Duke status
Oct 31, 2004
Palm Coast , Florida
Visit site
I was given my key to Privates in 1965 , none were for sale when I was there .

Jon Mel oversaw the selling of these during the 80's on

Richard Novak - NHS - paid big bucks for 2 properties a few years ago to combine them to make his new house just north of Privates .

Bet he's stoked the streets will be packed all the way to the Hook .

My friend Betty Young sold her house above Sharks Cove just recently - one of the original 2 houses on Opal Cliffs Drive .

Beerbelly

Michael Peterson status
May 14, 2010
Greg Griffin said:

Richard Novak - NHS - paid big bucks for 2 properties a few years ago to combine them to make his new house just north of Privates .

My friend Betty Young sold her house above Sharks Cove just recently - one of the original 2 houses on Opal Cliffs Drive .
Novak is one of the saltiest and opinionated humans alive. Expect him to wage war.

sizzld1

Phil Edwards status
Mar 31, 2009
beerbelly said:
Greg Griffin said:

Novak is one of the saltiest and opinionated humans alive. Expect him to wage war.
He's got a gate in front of his place now so it probably won't bug him much once he's behind it, but the front of his place is ground zero for surf school and all other manners of kookdom these days.

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
mundus said:
It's private land. Why does everyone need access to it? And yes, public access will absolutely ruin the place. Surfers pretty much ruin everything. Just look at Malibu and the North Shore for examples.

griffinsurfboard

Duke status
Oct 31, 2004
Palm Coast , Florida
Visit site
Betty’s house just above Sharks cove

Sold it to Jack Oneills daughter recently

Invasion imminent

Her house upper left with white fence - the Hook just above , Sharks Cove directly below

Myself , Croteau and friends in her backyard 1968-9

Duke status
Feb 20, 2003
i have no access to the ranch
i will never go there
but i think its beautiful as is and should remain private