The (Prone) Paddleboard Thread

sh3

Michael Peterson status
Dec 1, 2008
Mostly on flat days. I haven’t been using a leash but was thinking about several scenarios where it might be warranted. Just got back from my first paddle on the bark. The two miles that usually takes me about 43 min on the long board just took 23.

What is this thing? I measured and it appear to be 14 feet. Is it an older model?
feet. View attachment 139707View attachment 139708
The original Surftech Bark, the old Gair design. See the screw in back for the vent plug? Even pre-dates the hand screw vent plugs.

For a bit of history: Tim Gair was/is the sh!t. Still a prominent figure in SoCal paddling and guarding. He's the only US male to do the single/double - win both Molokai and Catalina in the same class in the same year. He was even on the Molokai poster the following year. He STILL holds the Catalina unlimited record, as set in 1999. Freaking stud. Tim Gair is a monster and an incredible person everyone should strive to emulate.

That design is slow, making Tim's winning on the 12' version all the more impressive. The Commander, based on the CT, is where it's all now. Precise rocker and bottom makes it tippier but so so SO much faster. All the same, those Gair boards are great boards and terrific for beginner and intermediate paddlers.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
bark commander 12 or 14 for me @ 6'3" 185lbs? the 12 is quite a bit cheaper atm so i'm inclined towards it. not looking to race just wanting to stay in shape while rehabbing my knee. would be stocked to find a used one but doesn't seem likely in my area.

Belchfire1

Nep status
Jun 27, 2013
Encinitas
bark commander 12 or 14 for me @ 6'3" 185lbs? the 12 is quite a bit cheaper atm so i'm inclined towards it. not looking to race just wanting to stay in shape while rehabbing my knee. would be stocked to find a used one but doesn't seem likely in my area.
This will work.
The stocks come in different sizes for rider weights.
Get this one if you're not racing.

14's are rad though.

This one is actually in stock. And less $ than the stocker above. Looks solid to me.

Reactions: oeste858

njsurfer42

Michael Peterson status
Mar 16, 2006
shrouded in a 5/4
i have the 12' Commander WD & i'm 6'0 210lbs. definitely my favorite of all the boards i've owned or paddled over the years, including an older yellow 14' bark/surftech, an og 12' commander, & a 14' commander.

Reactions: trevorbc and Aruka

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW

this is the one i was looking at.

1044 shipped with all the coupon codes and discounts (15% off sitewide + 5% coupon)

Reactions: trevorbc and Ttboi

Belchfire1

Nep status
Jun 27, 2013
Encinitas

this is the one i was looking at.

1044 shipped with all the coupon codes and discounts (15% off sitewide + 5% coupon)
This will work, but if I were you I'd get the WD model. It will be much stabler knee paddling at 185 lbs
I know it's more $$ but it might be well spent.
Where are you gonna paddle this and how long? Bumpy windy or smooth glasssy conditions? Cold water and thick wetsuits? All questions that could decide best option.

PM 20w as he's pretty large and rides a tiny 12' on occasion.
He might have the best advice.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
This will work, but if I were you I'd get the WD model. It will be much stabler knee paddling at 185 lbs
Where are you gonna paddle this and how long? Bumpy windy or smooth glasssy conditions? Cold water and thick wetsuits? All questions that could decide best option.

Cold water and thick wetsuit. Variable conditions but probably not often glassy. I dont see myself knee paddling in my current state but i suppose it would be nice to have that option later on. Thanks for your input. There is a shop up north with a 14' commander in stock so i might go check it out before i pull the trigger on anything.

20W-50 and blood

Duke status
Feb 4, 2004
SOCAL
Visit site

you refer to The Moped/Nazi U-Boat?

• Haha
Reactions: Belchfire1

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Went for an hour this morning in a drizzling rain, sheet glass. Nobody around.

Paddled up the coast for 30 minutes then just laid on the board, listening to the, the, the nothing really. Birds, mist, a distant boat.

Dozed off on my board for a minute. Woke up, paddled back to the car.

njsurfer42

Michael Peterson status
Mar 16, 2006
shrouded in a 5/4
Went for an hour this morning in a drizzling rain, sheet glass. Nobody around.

Paddled up the coast for 30 minutes then just laid on the board, listening to the, the, the nothing really. Birds, mist, a distant boat.

Dozed off on my board for a minute. Woke up, paddled back to the car.
that sounds 1000x better than just about the entirety of my weekend

• Haha
Reactions: MathDebater

misterhat

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 21, 2007
Is the guy in north sd county who is selling two paddle boards on barks “used board” page on the er bb?