The (Prone) Paddleboard Thread

20W-50 and blood

Duke status
Feb 4, 2004
SOCAL
Visit site
fook that. You finished the mission, right?
:shaka::shaka::shaka:
but A quick question for you.
did the bonk occur after looking repeatedly at the Wyland wall @ King Harbor?
negative. well before the whales.

i tired a few different things...new hydration strategy...and drastically drank less alcohol the week before. cant think of any other reason. i was paddling the best of of my life so far....and then BAM. fug it....race over....now i can just enjoy paddling for a handful of months....while working on weight loss....then the season begins again! mas fugery.....i love it!

edit..negative as in the whales being tied to the bonk. i finished that fuC(ker. theyd have to fish me from the bottom before id throw that towel in.

Last edited:

sh3

Michael Peterson status
Dec 1, 2008
I wouldn't say "slaughtered" it at all! :roflmao:

Man that was a tough year. I did manage to get my 6th tile in 9 finishes, but it was an uphill battle at 52 years old.

That said, seeing @20W-50 and blood mid-channel, yelling "Orale!" at him and then having him look right at me and say, "I knew this sh!t was going to happen," did make me laugh. Thanks for that. I needed it. That was a TOUGH f-ing race.

Oceanslide

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2008
Oceanside, CA
I wouldn't say "slaughtered" it at all! :roflmao:

Man that was a tough year. I did manage to get my 6th tile in 9 finishes, but it was an uphill battle at 52 years old.

That said, seeing @20W-50 and blood mid-channel, yelling "Orale!" at him and then having him look right at me and say, "I knew this sh!t was going to happen," did make me laugh. Thanks for that. I needed it. That was a TOUGH f-ing race.
Mad respect to both of you. But way more to Shshsh.

• Haha
Reactions: Aruka and sh3

VaB

Michael Peterson status
Nov 14, 2004
Virginia Beach, VA
I should be getting a 12' in the next month. I 've done some research on the web for workouts but what are some group favorites. Also, any east coast guys, how far into winter do you paddle? through winter?

Thanks, very stoked on the pending board.

jwd

Nov 24, 2004
I've been looking for an entry level paddleboard on the east coast but they are tough to find. Has anyone tired the VESL paddleboards? They aren't too expensive and seem to the directed toward the newbie paddler. Any thoughts on the VESL?

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: Ttboi and jkb

Belchfire1

Nep status
Jun 27, 2013
Encinitas
I've been looking for an entry level paddleboard on the east coast but they are tough to find. Has anyone tired the VESL paddleboards? They aren't too expensive and seem to the directed toward the newbie paddler. Any thoughts on the VESL?
VESL ripped off Joe Bark on their first boards. Even down to the paint scheme. Lame.
Get a used Bark for the same price as a new VESL.

njsurfer42

Michael Peterson status
Mar 16, 2006
shrouded in a 5/4
I should be getting a 12' in the next month. I 've done some research on the web for workouts but what are some group favorites. Also, any east coast guys, how far into winter do you paddle? through winter?

Thanks, very stoked on the pending board.
its possible to paddle through the winter if you're motivated enough. i've done, just not recently. 3/2 or 4/3 w/ 7mil boots & 3 or 5mil gloves/claws & a beanie is typically adequate to stay warm w/out overheating in my experience. definitely more careful/picky about conditions in the winter.
as far as workouts, i always just used it for base building, not as much w/ sprints or interval workouts. just getting out on the water & paddling is enough unless you've got an early season race in mind.

20W-50 and blood

Duke status
Feb 4, 2004
SOCAL
Visit site
if you;'d like...i can borrow one for you. then in the parking lot...ill bring a hooker to give youa reacharoudn while i pour gasoline overyourhead and light your shat on fire. then ill bring children to hold hands and and dance around you while chanting some sort of joyous pagan sutra.

or something like that

sh3

Michael Peterson status
Dec 1, 2008
if you;'d like...i can borrow one for you. then in the parking lot...ill bring a hooker to give youa reacharoudn while i pour gasoline overyourhead and light your shat on fire. then ill bring children to hold hands and and dance around you while chanting some sort of joyous pagan sutra.

or something like that
Today at 12:57 a.m. Yeah... I'm not too surprised. I am surprised, however, by the mostly understandable typing.

Belchfire1

Nep status
Jun 27, 2013
Encinitas

or something like that
stop beating around the bush and tell us how you really feel. this is a safe space. haha

Reactions: Ttboi

njsurfer42

Michael Peterson status
Mar 16, 2006
shrouded in a 5/4
There's a dude selling a 12' Eaton around my way for $300. He has it labeled as a kayak
sounds about right. here in nj, i've had multiple conversations w/ the uscg after well-meaning beach goers called 911 about the "kayaker who lost his paddle in the rough seas" while i was out doing a downwinder. they're generally pretty cool about everything.

• Love
Reactions: 20W-50 and blood

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
I have been using a 10 foot soft top for fitness paddling. For shorter distances less than 5 miles it works well enough, plus cheap.