The (Prone) Paddleboard Thread

trevorbc

Michael Peterson status
Jun 27, 2012
cold
First paddle in a long time today, since the fall actually. Trying to maximize any swell we had and being out of town a few times had the Bark up in the rafters longer than expected. Had the board on the truck for the past few days but the wind and lower temperatures put me off. Today warmed up to a balmy -4°C with almost no wind, pretty glassy, tiny short period swell rolling in. High tide had the swell bouncing off the cliffs and sending funky waves back out at certain spots, but still way too small to surf at all, even on the prone. Ended up doing a little 7km loop along the cliffs. Saw a few ducks but nothing else. A few little chunks of ice floating around and patches of slush starting to form but the water is mostly clear (for now). I Wore a 6/5 with 7mm mitts and 7mm booties. Toes started to get cold near the end but mitts were too hot, 5mm lobster claws next time, and probably could have been in a 5/4 as well. Felt really good to get back onto the water and paddle! Now just waiting for some swell to kick off the 2023 surf season!
where are you located? I too am in the cold….

trevorbc

Michael Peterson status
Jun 27, 2012
cold
Does anyone else get a boost of energy every time the thought a GW is trailing comes into your head? :LOL:

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Yeah, that's my issue now. I really thought I had solid shot at winning the Classic this year, and then sh!t went off the rails. I couldn't keep my right shoulder back and up for the life of me. Turns out a tore off one of the anchors holding my shoulder together and then pushing through for the next 12-16 miles tore my labrum & my rotator cuff pretty badly. I can still surf for now, but another surgery is in my future. I asked my doctor if I could just surf and not get the surgery. Nope. So I'm getting it while I can this year and likely not going to be doing any big mileage races anymore. So be it. I'm on the Jimmy Montalbano program now. Brutal end, but I was able to hobble into a tile at the Classic this year; so while I went out with a whimper, it wasn't just fading away. Now I focus on surfing!
Who’s you doctor?

sh3

Michael Peterson status
Dec 1, 2008
Does anyone else get a boost of energy every time the thought a GW is trailing comes into your head?
@trevorbc - I kinda get stoked seeing wildlife. It's extremely rare to ever see a shark. Your board is big, so the shark wouldn't want anything to do with you.

Who’s you doctor?
I ended up doing the surgery with Ryu. I also saw John Itamura at K-J, whom I'd highly recommend. He couldn't do it for another 3 months, though, so I'd be just now getting to it. I'm glad I did it when I did, and Ryu did do a great job. On the other hand, his bedside manner... how do I say this kindly? Not good. But he did a great job and that's what I wanted and needed. Recovering slowly now, with another 5 months before I'll probably be out there. My PT seems to think I should continue to race, but I'm over it now. At least I think I am. But I miss the people.

Blias Bloon

Nep status
Jan 3, 2003
Molokai to Oahu is wrapping up. Checked the tracker and Instagram posts a few times today, wondering how it was going for 20W. Went for a sunset paddle to cap off the day and get in the water. 3 miles that felt great, water is so nice right now. I went for the same paddle on Monday (with a stop midway through to surf some micro waves for half an hour) and it was so nice out that I decided to trunk it, no top. Never again! MURDERED my nipples. :bricks: :poke: Finally back to normal today, rubbered up this time! :roflmao:
Those teeth marks are pretty scary. Good thing it bit the tail and not midship! :oops:

Reactions: jkb

njsurfer42

Michael Peterson status
Mar 16, 2006
shrouded in a 5/4
side note: anyone have any insight on the differences/pros & cons of the greyhound 14' vs a CT 14'? just sold my 12' commander WD & plan on moving to a 14' for next season & beyond. have only seen pics of the greyhound, so any thoughts would be appreciated.

Belchfire1

Nep status
Jun 27, 2013
Encinitas
Molokai to Oahu is wrapping up. Checked the tracker and Instagram posts a few times today, wondering how it was going for 20W. Went for a sunset paddle to cap off the day and get in the water. 3 miles that felt great, water is so nice right now. I went for the same paddle on Monday (with a stop midway through to surf some micro waves for half an hour) and it was so nice out that I decided to trunk it, no top. Never again! MURDERED my nipples. :bricks: :poke: Finally back to normal today, rubbered up this time! :roflmao:
Those teeth marks are pretty scary. Good thing it bit the tail and not midship! :oops:
20W finished!!!
I was looking too.
Crazy tough race.
I can't imagine how he feels today! Ha

Reactions: sh3 and jkb

Belchfire1

Nep status
Jun 27, 2013
Encinitas
side note: anyone have any insight on the differences/pros & cons of the greyhound 14' vs a CT 14'? just sold my 12' commander WD & plan on moving to a 14' for next season & beyond. have only seen pics of the greyhound, so any thoughts would be appreciated.
Greyhound has a UL nose vs CT with the stock type nose.
Lots of glide in a smaller package.
They have a scupper for peeing, too. No joke. Ha
I hear they are pretty stable, too.
A couple buddies just got greyhounds this year and they are faster on those boards.
I would recommend a greyhound if you're racing or want to be fast

sh3

Michael Peterson status
Dec 1, 2008
Greyhound great for flat water. If you're in the bump, it'll be lousy versus a CT. CT is just a better board for the bump.

And @20W-50 and blood crushed it. Brutally hard race at Molokai this year, and he finished. Champions earn the yellow jersey.

Bayview

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 21, 2009
NJ
Anyone see or try?

Feb 13, 2022
San Diego
Anyone see or try?

I trained with a guy last season that had one (not a surftech). They look super fast. They cut through water like an unlimited. I imagine they dont handle ocean bump quite as well as the commanders.

Bayview

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 21, 2009
NJ
I trained with a guy last season that had one (not a surftech). They look super fast. They cut through water like an unlimited. I imagine they dont handle ocean bump quite as well as the commanders.
Oi

thabks

also. Didn’t read others had already put n their 2 cents in prior posts. Was at tail end of time on throne and didn’t read. Deepest, sincerest apologies to all. Thank you