The (Prone) Paddleboard Thread

Belchfire1

Nep status
Jun 27, 2013
Encinitas
For sure, he and I have been talking over DM. I want to make sure I can keep up with them first though. The constant low grade intensity is different than the stop and start sprints I do when normally surfing.
This is great time of year to join up. The paddles are slow and short for the most part.
It's a blast even if you can't keep up with the pack. Way better than solo paddles, for sure.

Belchfire1

Nep status
Jun 27, 2013
Encinitas
How are you guys storing these ?
Wall racks? ceiling racks?
I just need to make sure my install is rock solid.
I hang my stock in the garage from the rafters with tie down straps wrapped around the rafters. The board weighs>20lbs and the straps are rated for 5000lbs. Overkill but it works

trevorbc

Michael Peterson status
Jun 27, 2012
cold
Hey ya’ll,

I’ve been on that old 14 foot bark surf tech I’ve lovingly named, “the banana” and loving it. The owner wants it back at some point here. I’m 6’0 165, if I get a 12 footer will I notice a significant difference from the 14?

20W-50 and blood

Duke status
Feb 4, 2004
SOCAL
Visit site
Hey ya’ll,

I’ve been on that old 14 foot bark surf tech I’ve lovingly named, “the banana” and loving it. The owner wants it back at some point here. I’m 6’0 165, if I get a 12 footer will I notice a significant difference from the 14?
HUGE difference. yuor weigh is more than fine for a 12 er....but youll immediatly miss the glide. then again you might reqally dig how alive the 12 footers are in comparison

Reactions: trevorbc

njsurfer42

Michael Peterson status
Mar 16, 2006
shrouded in a 5/4
Hey ya’ll,

personally, i feel like the modern 12's go comparably to the older 14's (the banana). my first board was the same one you're paddling now & when i got my first 12' commander a few years later, i didn't miss the old board at all...way more comfortable w/ what felt like similar glide & speed.
just my $0.02.

sh3

Michael Peterson status
Dec 1, 2008
Hey ya’ll,

1. Yes you'll feel a difference. 14 will have more glide, as 20W said. But...
2. Also as 20W said, you're actually a perfect size for a stock board. Long arms and not too heavy - you'll be golden!

Reactions: trevorbc

trevorbc

Michael Peterson status
Jun 27, 2012
cold
What would you all recommend I get? Bark Commander? Does the 14 vs 12 matter if you are in open ocean vs flatter water? Surf tech vs other construction? I’m not knee paddling and my goal here is really to stay in shape for my 6’0.

Blias Bloon

Nep status
Jan 3, 2003
First paddle in a long time today, since the fall actually. Trying to maximize any swell we had and being out of town a few times had the Bark up in the rafters longer than expected. Had the board on the truck for the past few days but the wind and lower temperatures put me off. Today warmed up to a balmy -4°C with almost no wind, pretty glassy, tiny short period swell rolling in. High tide had the swell bouncing off the cliffs and sending funky waves back out at certain spots, but still way too small to surf at all, even on the prone. Ended up doing a little 7km loop along the cliffs. Saw a few ducks but nothing else. A few little chunks of ice floating around and patches of slush starting to form but the water is mostly clear (for now). I Wore a 6/5 with 7mm mitts and 7mm booties. Toes started to get cold near the end but mitts were too hot, 5mm lobster claws next time, and probably could have been in a 5/4 as well. Felt really good to get back onto the water and paddle! Now just waiting for some swell to kick off the 2023 surf season!

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
The big swell these past two weeks reminded of a time I was at out at my local beachie. Solid swell, head to overhead waves, hollow, semi closeouts (classic South Bay) and I see 25-30 paddleboarders on the beach, maybe more. I hear the horn and they all jump in the water. I was wondering how they were going to get those things through the line up and I soon got my answer. It was pure mayhem. Luckily I was sitting outside and didn't have to dodge all the lost boards. A few guys timed it right and got out, but 80% were sent back to the beach to try again. I didn't envy those guys that morning.

I would love to paddle. My experience running marathons tells me I have a endurance mindset but I think it would just fuk up my alread fuct up shoulders...

Last edited:

20W-50 and blood

Duke status
Feb 4, 2004
SOCAL
Visit site
whether going out or coming in...prone paddleboard carnage is some of the absulte fuging BEST to watch. there was an off-season race last year that my buddy and his kid both somehow got their baords airborn coming in on a wave....of course both boards randomly/magically flying towards eacther....somehow didnt hit but man it was good watching

sh3

Michael Peterson status
Dec 1, 2008
The big swell these past two weeks reminded of a time I was at out at my local beachie. Solid swell, head to overhead waves, hollow, semi closeouts (classic South Bay) and I see 25-30 paddleboarders on the beach, maybe more. I hear the horn and they all jump in the water. I was ondering how they were going to get those things through the line up and I soon got my answer. It was pure mayhem. Luckily I was sitting outside and didn't have to dodge all the lost boards. A few guys timed it right and got out, but 80% were sent back to the beach to try again. I didn't envy those guys that morning.

I would love to paddle. My experience running marathons tells me I have a endurance mindset but I think it would just fuk up my alread fuct up shoulders...
Yeah, that's my issue now. I really thought I had solid shot at winning the Classic this year, and then sh!t went off the rails. I couldn't keep my right shoulder back and up for the life of me. Turns out a tore off one of the anchors holding my shoulder together and then pushing through for the next 12-16 miles tore my labrum & my rotator cuff pretty badly. I can still surf for now, but another surgery is in my future. I asked my doctor if I could just surf and not get the surgery. Nope. So I'm getting it while I can this year and likely not going to be doing any big mileage races anymore. So be it. I'm on the Jimmy Montalbano program now. Brutal end, but I was able to hobble into a tile at the Classic this year; so while I went out with a whimper, it wasn't just fading away. Now I focus on surfing!

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Yeah, that's my issue now. I really thought I had solid shot at winning the Classic this year, and then sh!t went off the rails. I couldn't keep my right shoulder back and up for the life of me. Turns out a tore off one of the anchors holding my shoulder together and then pushing through for the next 12-16 miles tore my labrum & my rotator cuff pretty badly. I can still surf for now, but another surgery is in my future. I asked my doctor if I could just surf and not get the surgery. Nope. So I'm getting it while I can this year and likely not going to be doing any big mileage races anymore. So be it. I'm on the Jimmy Montalbano program now. Brutal end, but I was able to hobble into a tile at the Classic this year; so while I went out with a whimper, it wasn't just fading away. Now I focus on surfing!
Congrats on all your Classics. I'd have been stoked to have even one under the belt.

Bummer you can't continue.

I had a similar dictum from my MD when I got diagnosed with a myocardial bridge (artery goes under the heart muscle and during the systolic phase it impedes blood flow). "I wouldn't do marathons any more and keep your heart rate under 80% of max" (80% is like a jog). After he told me that, I went ahead and did my last one anyways (hey, I already paid the entry fee). He told me to walk or even stop if I felt any chest tightness. When I started the race at Dodger Stadium I felt the tightness right away and was like, "You're kidding? I have to start walking already???" Then we ran down Vin Scully Avenue and it went away, never came back and I finished the race no problem. But I figured that was a good run (10 marathons). Time to quit while ahead.

Like you, I think they'll have to drag me out of the surf on a stretcher before I quit.

Reactions: sh3 and urchined

Oceanslide

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2008
Oceanside, CA
Well, shite. Maybe I don’t hate you. Sorry, S…heal up!

Reactions: sh3
Feb 13, 2022
San Diego
I have a question for you guys. I am toying with the idea of buying a new/used 12ft bark for the upcoming season. I have an old 14' bark and an old unlimited bark with a big delam. I dont think either board will be very fun to race on. I traded my 14' for a 12' ghost carbon ST this past weekend for a few minutes. It felt okay prone, but when I tried knee paddling, it felt like someone tied an anchor to the tail. I was very unsteady and the tail felt like it was underwater. I am 6'1 195 lb and figured this model is too small for me. However, the guy I borrowed it from said I should not race a 12' WD model as the added size/weight will be slower than a ST...

So.. should I be looking for a 12' ST or 12' WD to train and race on this year? Also, is the 'pro elite' noticeably slower/heavier than the 'ghost carbon'?

sh3

Michael Peterson status
Dec 1, 2008
1. Go with the wide tail. Your size is why the wide tail exists. It's perfect for you.
2. The single most important part of any board is: The motor.