The (Prone) Paddleboard Thread

misterhat

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 21, 2007
SoCal cold, which is minor compared to what you get. Water temps can get down to low 50's usually a couple days a year, but mostly hangs around high 50's during the winter.

Also I'm generally pretty cold tolerant especially when working out. I'm comfortable surfing in a 2mil short arm full when it's in the low 60's as long as it's not 30 min between sets.

edit: I'm in the south bay, mostly surf Burnouts and HB.

Last edited:

Belchfire1

Nep status
Jun 27, 2013
Encinitas
SoCal cold, which is minor compared to what you get. Water temps can get down to low 50's usually a couple days a year, but mostly hangs around high 50's during the winter.

Also I'm generally pretty cold tolerant especially when working out. I'm comfortable surfing in a 2mil short arm full when it's in the low 60's as long as it's not 30 min between sets.

edit: I'm in the south bay, mostly surf Burnouts and HB.
I cut an older wetsuit in half and use the pants with a light rash guard or vest if I'm launching somewhere where I'm not getting pounding by waves. Otherwise a 3/2 or a longjohn works fine in SD when it's as cold as it gets.
Once you're moving, you're plenty warm.

I‘m on the border with British Columbia at the very end of I-5… Up until last week, I was wearing 2mm sleeves (wrist to shoulders), a polar fleece vest, with a short sleeve nylon rash guard over that… Trunks, no booties, no gloves… As long as I’m moving, I’m fine… This week the wind switched to hard NE from the Fraser Valley…Truly freezing cold… Next week, when the wind backs, off I’ll add gloves… Like I said, as long as I’m moving, it ain’t so bad… 52E1DA91-B6FB-4CD6-A3E3-0AB92B7DEDD4.jpeg

misterhat

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 21, 2007
Just did my first paddle this morning on a 12ft bark surftech commander. Don't know how far I went but I paddled straight for a little over an hour. Probably only 2 or 3 miles but I don't feel super tired. I'm gonna go tomorrow and try to push it a little further. Also I'll remember to turn on my gps watch.

Constantly holding up my neck and shoulders in the position I paddle on a shortboard got me tired faster than the paddling did. I could avoid that by pressing my chin down onto the board but I have no idea what the right form is.

On my way in about 50 yards offshore and I saw a little ripple and actually caught it. I had to sit up on it about 20 ft from shore because I was about to beach it on shin high closeout shorebreak. I wasn't expecting that at all and it was really fun.

Also do I need to rinse my board off w fresh water each time I use it? Can I put it into the bag I got when it's wet or will that get me mildew on the chest pad?

sh3

Michael Peterson status
Dec 1, 2008
Bump riding: RULES

Washing it down: I'm not like 20W. I always - ALWAYS - wash it down & dry it after use & before it goes in the bag. But then again, I like finishing faster at Catalina, so do what 20W does. :oops:

Belchfire1

Nep status
Jun 27, 2013
Encinitas
Just did my first paddle this morning on a 12ft bark surftech commander. Don't know how far I went but I paddled straight for a little over an hour. Probably only 2 or 3 miles but I don't feel super tired. I'm gonna go tomorrow and try to push it a little further. Also I'll remember to turn on my gps watch.

Constantly holding up my neck and shoulders in the position I paddle on a shortboard got me tired faster than the paddling did. I could avoid that by pressing my chin down onto the board but I have no idea what the right form is.

On my way in about 50 yards offshore and I saw a little ripple and actually caught it. I had to sit up on it about 20 ft from shore because I was about to beach it on shin high closeout shorebreak. I wasn't expecting that at all and it was really fun.

Also do I need to rinse my board off w fresh water each time I use it? Can I put it into the bag I got when it's wet or will that get me mildew on the chest pad?
Get a chin pad from Joe B. Makes it a lot easier on the neck. Wash that chit down too. Cleaner is faster

Reactions: misterhat

Belchfire1

Nep status
Jun 27, 2013
Encinitas
I find myself scheming how I can go for a paddle on the weekdays. It's made me a grom again.

Ordered one of those this weekend.

I've been scheming how I can get a second paddle in on weekdays. I feel like a grom again.
Where in the world are you paddling?
I agree it is addicting

misterhat

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 21, 2007
You ought to get with 20w and do some of their weekend paddles in Long beach etc.
Solid fast crew
For sure, he and I have been talking over DM. I want to make sure I can keep up with them first though. The constant low grade intensity is different than the stop and start sprints I do when normally surfing.

Reactions: Belchfire1

ULUSURFER

Gerry Lopez status
Jan 2, 2007
Australia
Visit site
For sure, he and I have been talking over DM. I want to make sure I can keep up with them first though. The constant low grade intensity is different than the stop and start sprints I do when normally surfing.
im a total slowpoke and used to paddle with them at one point...before I gbot lazy...