The (Prone) Paddleboard Thread

Feb 3, 2024
I got a great deal on a used Bark Commader 12’. I’m 195lbs so it’s fine lay down paddling but I’ve been only able to do a stroke or two on my knees before falling (in semi choppy conditions.) Would a different fin make any difference? In flatter water and a 14’ rented commander I could knee paddle so I know it’s possible.

frontsidegrab

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 4, 2014
I got a great deal on a used Bark Commader 12’. I’m 195lbs so it’s fine lay down paddling but I’ve been only able to do a stroke or two on my knees before falling (in semi choppy conditions.) Would a different fin make any difference? In flatter water and a 14’ rented commander I could knee paddle so I know it’s possible.
It takes more skill but you'll get better at it if you keep practicing. I'm just a bit heavier than you and was able to knee paddle mine. Just gotta keep the speed up so it stays as stable as possible.

Never tried a different fin, tho.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
I got it down by knee paddling in the harbor on a 12 footer made for a 160 pound dude, I was well over 200 pounds at the time. Practice in super flat water. Gives you more room for fuck ups so you can find the sweet spot. Once you find you find your proper position and can paddle hard to fatigue without any “sudden corrections” in balance then start practicing your prone-to-knee transitions. Paddle prone, pop up to knees, get in your sweet spot. Do this until you can consistently pop right into sweet spot with minimal wobbling.This all should take about 20 minutes max.

Then go out in the “semi-chop” and do it.

And yes, a 14 foot board is easier to knee paddle. Learning on a 12 will benefit you more in the long run.

And yes, a fin might make a difference.

My board came with one like this….

IMG_5844.jpeg

Now I have one of these and it definitely helped.

sh3

Michael Peterson status
Dec 1, 2008
Fin does make a difference, but not a lot. You're near the top end range of that Commnander. Which type is it, though? Wide tail you should be good. Normal and certainly the smaller one, you're not in a good place.

RFD fins are great. We enjoyed developing those with Vince. I also REALLY enjoy the Gerry Lopez 9" fin. By far my favorite.

njsurfer42

Michael Peterson status
Mar 16, 2006
shrouded in a 5/4
Thanks for all of the insights everyone. I really appreciate it.
I'm attaching 2 images of the board in case any of you can tell the year by the color scheme.
looks like a 2015-2016 or thereabouts. i think 2015 was the first year for the blue comp stripe. & like sh3 said, you're at the top end of the weight range for that. not that you can't paddle it, but you'll have more fun/go faster w/ a bit more volume.

Reactions: sh3

VaB

Michael Peterson status
Nov 14, 2004
Virginia Beach, VA
first paddle of 2024 yesterday. beautiful day, calm conditions. struggling with knee paddling but will get it with practice i'm sure.

More muscular fatigue than CV workout at this point but still great.

Reactions: Landloct