The Official Wine Thread!

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
Good deals from Ribera del Duero. You can find killer ones in the states for $10.

Everything I have tried for Vina Gormaz has been very good for the money.

They make joven, roble, crianza, riserva. The joven sees no oak, the roble 5 months. Both are great.
typical of this country.

we pay more here for the same thing we sell cheap abroad, even after export costs.

like your italian olive oil? it most likely comes from valencia.

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III
plan-pegau_lot14-15-16_bottle_web.jpg

Super fun wine. NV vin de France blend of 30% Grenache, 30% Syrah, 20% Merlot, and the 20% balance a mix of old-vines Carignan, Mourvedre, Cinsault, Danlas, Alicante and Cabernet Sauvignon. Vines average 40 years. Pegau is a very old producer of Chateauneuf-du-Pape, since 1670. This is a blend of 2014, 2015, and 2016. This is very traditional wine, the way farmers and peasants would do it, and it's good. A little rustic, a little brett. 50% in concrete, 50% in "very old oak barrels." Good winter wine. Should retail for around $23-25. Nice little venture into the way it used to be.

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
20210114_183113.jpg

2019 Gurrieri Frappato, Terre Siciliane IGT. SE Sicily. Holy fuckshitballs. I love frappato, just love it! And this one is beautidul. Drank it with al pastor burrito and asada fries from the local food truck down the street. Tannins are mellower than 2018. Put this in the fridge and drink it COLD, like a rose. Red and black berries, pomegranate, flowers, black tea. So good. One of the most versatile wines ever. Drink this on its own or with almost any food, even spicy foods. Should retail for around $20.

Last edited:
Reactions: gbg

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
If you like those chilled reds you might like Tercero Abberation. Pretty sure you mentioned Vendome. They carry his wines and might have it. He's one of the few winemakers IMO who goes against the grain of trends for points, at leaset in CA and SB county (or anywhere), especially his whites (as much attention to texture as flavor etc).

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
View attachment 103772

2019 Gurrieri Frappato, Terre Siciliane IGT. SE Sicily. Holy fuckshitballs. I love frappato, just love it! And this one is beautidul. Drank it with al pastor burrito and asada fries from the local food truck down the street. Tannins are mellower than 2018. Put this in the fridge and drink it COLD, like a rose. Red and black berries, pomegranate, flowers, black tea. So good. One of the most versatile wines ever. Drink this on its own or with almost any food, even spicy foods. Should retail for around $20.
Where you score that?

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
If you like those chilled reds you might like Tercero Abberation. Pretty sure you mentioned Vendome. They carry his wines and might have it. He's one of the few winemakers IMO who goes against the grain of trends for points, at leaset in CA and SB county (or anywhere), especially his whites (as much attention to texture as flavor etc).
I'll keep an eye out for it. Yeah, love drinking lighter reds with a chill.

Where you score that?
It's just off the boat. I'll let you know. Shouldn't be long.

Reactions: gbg
Dec 18, 2014
View attachment 102934

Super fun wine. NV vin de France blend of 30% Grenache, 30% Syrah, 20% Merlot, and the 20% balance a mix of old-vines Carignan, Mourvedre, Cinsault, Danlas, Alicante and Cabernet Sauvignon. Vines average 40 years. Pegau is a very old producer of Chateauneuf-du-Pape, since 1670. This is a blend of 2014, 2015, and 2016. This is very traditional wine, the way farmers and peasants would do it, and it's good. A little rustic, a little brett. 50% in concrete, 50% in "very old oak barrels." Good winter wine. Should retail for around $23-25. Nice little venture into the way it used to be.

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
View attachment 103772

2019 Gurrieri Frappato, Terre Siciliane IGT. SE Sicily. Holy fuckshitballs. I love frappato, just love it! And this one is beautiful. Drank it with al pastor burrito and asada fries from the local food truck down the street. Tannins are mellower than 2018. Put this in the fridge and drink it COLD, like a rose. Red and black berries, pomegranate, flowers, black tea. So good. One of the most versatile wines ever. Drink this on its own or with almost any food, even spicy foods. Should retail for around $20.
Where you score that?
In SD county:

Village Vino in Kensington
The Miller's Table in Oceanside

In LA County, beginning next week:

Colony House Liquor in Malibu
Vendome Toluca Lake
Larchmont Wine & Cheese

and if all goes well in the very near future, Monsieur Marcel at the Original Farmer's Market on 3rd & Fairfax, next to The Grove.

Frappato is literally one of my favorite wines ever.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
In SD county:

Village Vino in Kensington
The Miller's Table in Oceanside

In LA County, beginning next week:

Colony House Liquor in Malibu
Vendome Toluca Lake
Larchmont Wine & Cheese

and if all goes well in the very near future, Monsieur Marcel at the Original Farmer's Market on 3rd & Fairfax, next to The Grove.

Frappato is literally one of my favorite wines ever.
The wine shop/bar/restaurant in downtown Encinitas has a killer selection as well.

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Always a good one for those who like frappato and other lighter, chillable reds.

Pra_Valpo.jpg
Pra Valpolicella "Morandina" 2019, Veneto. Corvina, Corvinone, Rondinella, Oseleta, in decreasing amounts. Certified organic grown in volcanic & alluvial soils, ambient yeast, used 20hl oak only for 3-6 mo, nothing even close to new. Grapey with cherry, peppery, floral, low tannin, bright acidity, good body (have not checked her elbows though). Another great "SoCal red wine."

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
Just polished off a Protos, Ribera del Duero, Roble (Oak) 2019 ... simply amazing for €4,50.

Unheard of quality to price ratio.

:beer:

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Just polished off a Protos, Ribera del Duero, Roble (Oak) 2019 ... simply amazing for €4,50.

Unheard of quality to price ratio.

:beer:
Great quality for price yeah. Their crianza and riserva is available in California. I seen 'em around.I dunno about roble bottling.

Ribera del Duero DO has to be 75% tempranillo. Protos is 100%.

Last edited:
Reactions: grapedrink