The Official Wine Thread!

JBerry

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 8, 2017
didn't you say once that there are still claims to be had available at Willow?
Pretty difficult to get any sort of mineral claim anywhere these days, unless you owned the property back into the spanish land grant days.

Reactions: Leaverite

Leaverite

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
didn't you say once that there are still claims to be had available at Willow?
Pretty difficult to get any sort of mineral claim anywhere these days, unless you owned the property back into the spanish land grant days.

No longer. It's all USFS property now with a bunch of scattered private property through it.

If you had an existing mining claim. You are able to access 2.5 acres, all of the water, timber on that property and the mineral rights. Annual fee/Year: $19.00. You need to go to the county courthouse in Salinas every year and renew it.

In perpetuity unless you fail to renew your annual fee. At that time your claim reverts to USFS property and you are toast.

The survivors. I know a couple of guys, longtime friends, My mentors down there. Fvck. When they go, their property goes with them. They need to put a plan in place to pass the torch onwards

Last edited:

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
Major score alert. BEVMO. $10.99 Cabernet Syrah blend from Portugal. 91 points by Wine Enthusiast. As good as many $25 bottles. 20200126_173044.jpg

Reactions: santacruzin

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Last really good bottle of wine I had was at R3W's birthday...there was a great variety to be had, but I think the French stuff was actually the best.

rice

Duke status
Jul 2, 2002
CA
So I found this new, nice GoPro a few weeks ago by my car. I put a found ad up on CL and a sign at the surfspot I found it.

Guy's friend sees the sign and tells his friend and he texts me and is stoked and he's gonna come get it. He brings me a bottle of wine (I drink way too much red wine), I say wow, thanks, he says no worries, he's a winemaker. My wife looks up the bottle and it's a local Paso cab blend and it's like $80. Stoked.

https://www.lawestatewines.com/Wines/First-Tracks/2015

We decanted it the other night, put it back in the bottle and took it to a nice dinner in Los Alamos.

It was one of the best wines I've ever had. Seriously.

Thanks, gopro guy!

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
Decanting is the way to go. I usually decant my wine in the morning if I am going to drink a good one. I have a little mesh cap for it to keep bugs out.

Gerry Lopez status
Aug 29, 2019
It’s getting hot again that really gets me in the mood for a good Pinot Grigio or Rosé

what are some good Rosé’s? Please don’t suggest anything with a gurly label thx!

• Haha
Reactions: gbg and grapedrink

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
Stolpman is really good. $20.

Barnard Griffin Rose. They have won best Rose numerous times. Don't recall what event or contest it was in. Lots of good Rose in Washington.

Pink Pedals by Chronic Cellars at $15 is a deal.

Reactions: ...

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
It’s getting hot again that really gets me in the mood for a good Pinot Grigio or Rosé

what are some good Rosé’s? Please don’t suggest anything with a gurly label thx!
Look at the orange wines I suggested in the first few pages of this thread.

Reactions: ...

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
Nice call on that Bandol.
Tercero makes rose with mourvedre as well and would probably be the most similar domestic rose you could find to that bottle right there.

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
I havent had alot of french rose but the ones I did i did not think were as good as the CA rose's.