The Official Wine Thread!

feralseppo

Billy Hamilton status
Feb 28, 2006
After 12 hours of bullshit and being in a car with 5 teenage girls getting my daughter to Mammoth for her birthday, stopped at a liquor store took a chance on this and was rewarded. Peppery like a good Pinot. think I might double dip tomorrow night. $16 well spent. Pairs nicely with my bag of garden salsa flavor sun chips for dinner At 11 pm.

DFE07F42-870A-4CD0-88CB-F513EE477FF9.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: SurfFuerteventura

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III

This is funny.

Translation: Kendall Jackson chardonnay sales are down due to increase in market share of "natural wines" (which no one can agree on how to define anyway) so they donate some chardonnay must to UC Davis who tests it and decides "hey, there's a bunch of healthy stuff in these skins." More CA skin contact/orange chardonnay on the market soon....

Last edited:

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
The westerly has (lowest to highest $) Cote Blonde, Red, Cabernet, Fletchers Red . The red is pretty damn good. You should be able to find the same year (2014) and it'll be made by the same winemaker (Adam Henkel). He moved on around 2016 or so and another guy is there now.
I really liked the Westerly:cheers:. The Crown Pointe is something special though....as good as anything I've had...but still not with the money when there's brands putting out great stuff at a fraction of the price.

Reactions: grapedrink

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Someone gave me these bottles and said they were good wines. I know nothing and think they would probably be wasted on me. Anyone have an idea what these would cost?View attachment 113596

1627337906973.png

I tease, I tease.

The tasty wine is trying to make you happy, let it. Later you can brag how terrible it tasted, but meanwhile, time to conduct an experiment. Have some friends over and taste-test against some other labels. Blind test is best.

sponge

Tom Curren status
Feb 10, 2002
Honolulu, HI, USA
Visit site
Someone gave me these bottles and said they were good wines. I know nothing and think they would probably be wasted on me. Anyone have an idea what these would cost?View attachment 113596
Using the Vivino app:
Chateau Coucy Montagne Saint-Emilion 2000. No cost listed, but similar wines around $30. Overall rating 3.9 of 5.0.
Vieux Chateau Certan Pomerol 2004. Avg price is $230! Overall rating 4.3 of 5.0.

Last edited:

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
I really liked the Westerly:cheers:. The Crown Pointe is something special though....as good as anything I've had...but still not with the money when there's brands putting out great stuff at a fraction of the price.
Stoked you liked it and yeah, for the out of pocket gimme Westerly (or that Star Lane GD mentioned a few posts back). Balsy to get into the $150 bottle cab business in SB County when a $150 bottle cab mecca is 5 hours north. I've seen CP is sitting on the shelves at Rancho Market and Valley Fresh in SY for 1/3 price.

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
Someone gave me these bottles and said they were good wines. I know nothing and think they would probably be wasted on me. Anyone have an idea what these would cost?
Decant and drink the one on the left with the gf/wifey/etc.
Regift the one on the right to one of your favorite wine geek friends, or trade it for ?

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
Stoked you liked it and yeah, for the out of pocket gimme Westerly (or that Star Lane GD mentioned a few posts back). Balsy to get into the $150 bottle cab business in SB County when a $150 bottle cab mecca is 5 hours north. I've seen CP is sitting on the shelves at Rancho Market and Valley Fresh in SY for 1/3 price.
I though CP was phenomenal. As good as the trendy NV brands....but you'll never convince people that regularly spend that kind of money on wine to spend it on a SB County wine.

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
You guys who like big red wines like cabernet (Napa, Happy Canyon, Paso) should really try an aglianico from Vulture, Irpinia, or Taurasi. You may never go back. Price of admission starts at $20.

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Had this with a tri-tip seasoned with just salt & pepper, and a kale and Chinese cabbage salad. Really needed the meat, the "blood" was really pronounced without.

2015 Grifalco "Damaschito" Aglianico del Vulture, Basilicata

100% aglianico from 60-80yo vines, biodynamically farmed, 60 day maceration, ambient yeast, 2 years in large neutral oak, 1 year in bottle minimum. Soil here is volcanic and high in iron, red soil. cherry, leather, tobacco, and licorice, blood. 2015 is still young, this wine has at least 10 years left, stored correctly of course. 500 cases made.

Retails for about $45, $90 on a wine list.

messages_0 (14).jpeg

Reactions: _____

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Let me solve your NYE/COVID party alcohol needs!

Cleaning out my garage and other storage. I have at least 12 cases of wine (and some spirits) to get rid of. Past jobs, past vintages, mostly California mostly but some Spain, Chile, Italy, France, maybe others, some bubbles (Cava), some soju, or maybe shochu, maybe both, whiskey, gin, rum, tequila, mixers.

Dunno if this is OK to list here, I am not asking for money (that would be illegal). Don't think offering to give it away is a problem.

FCFS.

Willing to meet in LA proper or beach cities as far as Hermosa south and Malibu west.

HMU

parkiteric

Nep status
Jul 3, 2010
Just got back from Napa. The food and wine is incredible. Thomas Keller's restaurants are all amazing. Had the best cheeseburger in my life at Farmstead and the best fried chicken ever at Adhoc. Best porkchop at Mustards Grill

My go to pinot noir is Meiomi (forgot the vintage). My favorite cab of all time is Mirror 2016. Honorable mentions go to Stags Leap, Duckhorn, Silver Oak. Best meritage Ive had was Opus one 2016.

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Meiomi is absolute garbage. No one should drink it. It's hardly wine, and there's so much petite sirah in there that it's hardly recognizable as pinot noir. Additions are wood chips, sugar, Megapurple, water, you name it, it's in there...I'm not even sure it carries a vintage anymore. They just buy whatever cheap wine they can (Meiomi doesn't make their wines) and blend it, so it's the recognized as "the same" every time they bottle.

Ad Hoc and Farmstead are great restos though.

Last edited:
Reactions: _____

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
I can totally tell cheap wine from expensive wine.

My sister the wino does taste test at the holidays.

I'm all scared I will say the cheap stuff if the expensive stuff and look like a buffoon.