The Official Wine Thread!

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
It's like the melting point of steel indoors and out and I'm drinking red wine and have soup in the IP?
Wine and beer intake has been pretty much nil lately. This stuff is good. Same vineyard and winemaker as the super pricey Crown Point from Happy Canyon. The grapes don't make the cut for the expensive stuff and it's 1/5 the price.

wine.jpg

Reactions: gbg and grapedrink

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
It's like the melting point of steel indoors and out and I'm drinking red wine and have soup in the IP?
Wine and beer intake has been pretty much nil lately. This stuff is good. Same vineyard and winemaker as the super pricey Crown Point from Happy Canyon. The grapes don't make the cut for the expensive stuff and it's 1/5 the price.

View attachment 90006
Happy Canyon cab is where its at

Reactions: _____

Trump2020

Legend (inyourownmind)
Feb 26, 2020
Man lately the last 10 bottles of wine I’ve had from the grocery store have been turrable. J. Lohr, Rodney Strong, Ménage a Trios, etc ... too young at 2017. I swear wine only taste good except when older than 2012. I just opened a bottle of Raymond and it’s the best thing I’ve had in years. Now I just need to find a $15 substitute. I hear Josh is good wine. I heard great things about this wine too. Gonna check it out.75F9BA1B-07C6-4014-85A9-07272D39D877.jpeg

Reactions: gbg

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
Ancient Peaks has good wine. Was a wine club member there for a couple years.

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III
Ancient Peaks is OK, a bit rich though, needs food, all of them. Nearby Claiborne & Churchill (Edna Valley), make really nice wines. Hard to find in stores but they sell direct. However they will be a decent amount less expensive in a store. I know the whites and pinot noir, haven't tried the others.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Ancient Peaks is OK, a bit rich though, needs food, all of them
You could say that about nearly all Paso wines. Picked way too ripe and over oaked, so they all taste the same. It would be nice if the winemakers dialed it back a bit, but they're all too busy sniffing each others farts and chasing Robert Parker scores.

Tablas Creek is great though, especially for whites.

Reactions: gbg

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
You could say that about nearly all Paso wines. Picked way too ripe and over oaked, so they all taste the same. It would be nice if the winemakers dialed it back a bit, but they're all too busy sniffing each others farts and chasing Robert Parker scores.

I'm not tasting that over oak. You must be drinking the horseshit zinfandel up there.

Said it many times on here. Gianni Bounomo, the OB Winery has amazing. Spring shipment. 2 Double Gold Winners. 3 Gold. FB_IMG_1587849676695.jpg

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
I'm not tasting that over oak. You must be drinking the horseshit zinfandel up there.

Said it many times on here. Gianni Bounomo, the OB Winery has amazing. Spring shipment. 2 Double Gold Winners. 3 Gold. View attachment 90045
There are several top end labels that go hard on the oak and pick their fruit super ripe. I'm not talking about zinfandel, I'm talking about Syrah and the Rhone blends. Most of the labels you hear people raving about are guilty of this, because that's what gets the scores.

Reactions: stringcheese

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012

Spot on. If they're not loaded with oak and often flat (Justin, Daou's reserve wines, Austin Hope) they taste like candy (lots of grenache, gsm etc). Ripe, extracted and oaky wine apparently isn't isn't difficult to make either. I've become a big fan of Tercero Wines. He seems to give zero phuks about those trends and scores and makes truly unique stuff, and he releases a lot of them with 5-10 years of bottle age. They also somehow stay good and usually get better several days after opening so you can have 1 glass and not worry about a spoiled 3/4 bottle the next day. (I've never had an oaky zin).

Reactions: grapedrink and gbg