The Official Wine Thread!

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III
I went to to school with the Drapers daughter, Used to party up at their house in High school. I can only imagine how much $$$ in wine us young dumbasses used to guzzle. The winery is up on Montebello in Cupertino . Not really SC mountains.

Their daughter still hooks up some nice bottles for us old schoolers from time to time.
It is Santa Cruz Mountains, but it's east side. East side is Bordeaux varietal country, west side is Burgundy focused, generally.

Reactions: santacruzin

sponge

Tom Curren status
Feb 10, 2002
Honolulu, HI, USA
Visit site
...In my wife's area (Valdobbiadene) growing wine grapes has become the most renumerative agricultural activity due to the recent popularity of prosecco. Farmers/growers are the nouveau riche of the area and the first thing they do with their newfound wealth is build a nice house or maybe develop an "agriturismo." Agriturismo is where you go direct to farm or grower and they prepare a meal. These are without a doubt some of the best places to eat in Italy. Of course I've never paid $365 for a bottle at one of these places. It's usually about 100 euro per person for a five course meal with three wines or two and a grappa to finish off the meal.

Now I'm hungry...
Just came back from Italy. Great trip!

Went to a place where it went from farm/vineyard directly to our meal. Good stuff. Somewhere it Tuscany.

View attachment DSC01791.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: gbg and One-Off

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Just came back from Italy. Great trip!

Went to a place where it went from farm/vineyard directly to our meal. Good stuff. Somewhere it Tuscany.

View attachment 86618
On the plate with the parsley is "radicchio trevigiano" one of the most if not the most prized vegetables in Italy. really hard to grow. I wonder how they prepared it? Do you remember eating it. Anyways, the ingredients look fresh.(y)

sponge

Tom Curren status
Feb 10, 2002
Honolulu, HI, USA
Visit site
On the plate with the parsley is "radicchio trevigiano" one of the most if not the most prized vegetables in Italy. really hard to grow. I wonder how they prepared it? Do you remember eating it. Anyways, the ingredients look fresh.(y)
I do not remember eating it although I know I tried everything. Food was great even though my perspective of Italian food was different.

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
Sorry to interrupt your Italy trip amazingness. Trader Joes score alert. Organic Reserve Merlot. Pretty damn good. Easy to drink. $4.99. Steal. 20200218_173800.jpg

Reactions: FecalFace

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
I have trumpian hands.
While we're on the topic of orange/Cheeto, I tried 2 orange wines recently. One just tasted like a regular white (Gruner or Riesling) was white, and was pretty good, and the other could tell had aged way longer on the skins/seeds etc (super tannic, tasted like grape seeds) and was orange. Agree I'd recommend it to someone who like sour beers. I thought it was okay, probably something I wouldn't buy, but was more like the first time I tried a sour beer. Seems like it's the same thing as rose but made with white grapes and aged with seeds in addition to skins and for longer.

Reactions: grapedrink

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
While we're on the topic of orange/Cheeto, I tried 2 orange wines recently. One just tasted like a regular white (Gruner or Riesling) was white, and was pretty good, and the other could tell had aged way longer on the skins/seeds etc (super tannic, tasted like grape seeds) and was orange. Agree I'd recommend it to someone who like sour beers. I thought it was okay, probably something I wouldn't buy, but was more like the first time I tried a sour beer. Seems like it's the same thing as rose but made with white grapes and aged with seeds in addition to skins and for longer.

Definitely hits the palate in a similar manner to sour beers which I always liked. As a guy who doesn't like most whites I find the funkier orange wines enjoyable.

Reactions: gbg

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
Kungfu Girl Riesling from Charles Smith is pretty good. Wine Enthusiast gives it 90 points. Off dry. $9.99 at Vons. One of my go to whites. 20200221_193431.jpgGood with my red curry turkey meatball bowl.

Reactions: grapedrink

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
Brophys in SB serves KungFu by the glass. Probably $8-10 for a glass.
Was trying to remember when grapedrink mentioned GV - Zoker from Edna Valley is pretty good. They make Gruner and Riesling and I think at different tiers, starting around 20/bottle

Reactions: grapedrink and gbg

JBerry

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 8, 2017
From a winemaker friend:

Hello Friends,

Sadly the current state we are all in is uncertain and we are hoping you are all staying safe and healthy! We have decided to give all our followers of Cotiere Wine 15% off all purchases for this Spring as a thank you for your incredibly valuable support. As a friendly reminder we do have availability in our Cotiere Club for deeper discounts on all our wines, so if you are interested in purchasing please take advantage of those benefits.

Please bear with us as we put your orders together. Between the warehouse, UPS, and GSO, I'm not sure how smoothly things will function. If you are local and would like to pick up your wines at the winery "curbside", we can coordinate that with you.

Now onto the wines! Discount Code: MARCH20

2019 Cotiere Sanford & Benedict Vineyard Blanc de Noir ($30):
This is 100% Pinot Noir free run juice collected off the sorting table and allowed to ferment with native yeast in stainless steel barrels.

This white wine is made with minimal skin contact, which enabled us to capture a very unique expression of this compelling varietal. This vibrant wine brings forth fresh cut flowers, yellow stone fruit and citrus-driven radiance framed with brisk acidity. Bottled early so we can enjoy as much fresh fruit as possible, it will be perfect for spring and early summer.

2017 Cotiere Hilliard Bruce Vineyard Pinot Noir ($54): Those of you who know me, know this is one of my favorite sites for Pinot and Chardonnay. This site is planted in very sandy, silty loam. And with that comes amazing floral aromatic, and a delicate color and fruit profile. This profile is very unique and not necessarily found with heavier clay, loam, and rockier soils, where earth and darker fruit notes are more prominent.

"The 2017 Pinot Noir Hilliard Bruce Vineyard is soft, supple and inviting. Crushed flowers, mint, sweet tobacco and cedar bring notable aromatic lift to this delicious, mid-weight Pinot Noir. This is an especially delicate, nuanced wine from this site. Even with fully destemmed fruit, the Hilliard Bruce has an attractive earthy/savory quality that is quite attractive." Vinous 93 Points.

2017 Cotiere Murmur Vineyard Chardonnay ($42): As far as Santa Maria Valley is concerned, this is one of my favorite sites for Chardonnay. Beautifully situated looking due west, this special block of Chardonnay is planted in almost pure sand, extinct sand dunes created a long time ago by strong coastal winds. This will be our last vintage of Murmur Vineyard, sadly Gallo has purchased the property for their own needs.

"The 2017 Chardonnay Murmur Vineyard offers terrific energy and plenty of verve. Bright citrus, floral and slate notes give the 2017 terrific energy. There is good persistence in the glass, and yet the 2017 is somewhat muted by a reductive character that does not allow the fruit to be fully expressive. It will be interesting to see when the 2017 opens up with more time in bottle." Vinous 92+ Points

Library Release!

2013 Cotiere Lewelling Ranch Cabernet Sauvignon ( $60):
Normally this wine sold for $75, and quickly went to our friends a few years back. We have a few cases left if you are interested, and at this price it's pretty hard to beat. Remember that's $60 plus 30% off making it $42.00 to club members!

Classic Saint Helena fruit profile of blue/purplish berry and spice flavors. Inky and resonant on the palate, there is plenty of freshness for this 7 year old wine to be cellared for a few more years - but why? It is totally resolved and ready to be enjoyed right now.

Thank you everyone! Please stay safe and hopefully we can all celebrate together soon. Sadly we are postponing winemaker dinners. I'm not sure when those future dates will be, and hopefully all my dear friends in our vital restaurant industry will pull through this OK.

Kevin.
Côtière
KEVIN C LAW
Cotierewine.com