*** The Official Wildland FIRE Thread ***

vanrysss

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 25, 2019
from Oregon, now SD
Did fire as part of a private crew for a summer while I was in college. Got worked like an absolute dog, but the money was worth it imo. If you don't mind tramping around in the woods and manual labor its a good gig as a young dude.

Reactions: crustBrother

youcantbeserious

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 29, 2020
Location location
:jamon:

Q: what is the difference between god and a hotshot
A: god doesn't think he's a hotshot
Yep.
But in all seriousness, Hotshots and Smoke Jumpers are pretty gnarly people by nature. Generally mountain men.
The crew regarded by most West Coast Firefighters as the baddest of the bad was the Los Padres Hotshots from Santa Barbara from the 90's and early 2000s. Surfers, but also super tough mountain men. Drop them from a plane or helicopter in the middle of the wilderness and they could be self sufficient for days.
[/QUOTE]

My friend Tyler was on that crew. Absolutely animal.

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Yep.
But in all seriousness, Hotshots and Smoke Jumpers are pretty gnarly people by nature. Generally mountain men.
The crew regarded by most West Coast Firefighters as the baddest of the bad was the Los Padres Hotshots from Santa Barbara from the 90's and early 2000s. Surfers, but also super tough mountain men. Drop them from a plane or helicopter in the middle of the wilderness and they could be self sufficient for days.

Preach, but.
Every fire crew that has rolled through town this summer has had some rad chicks on it.

crustBrother

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001
Preach, but.
Every fire crew that has rolled through town this summer has had some rad chicks on it.
Seriously. My son got his hookup on his current gig with a type 2 IA crew through a female who's a total smoke show (in my humble and extremely primal opinion) and also a female who knocked it out on the line.

And from what I'm seeing, she's not really an outlier.

Last edited:

Firebird

Gerry Lopez status
Jun 5, 2010
OC
Preach, but.
Wait until you see the female convict crews. Some of those girls make you wonder, "What the hell did you do so wrong that you landed yourself in jail?"

• Wow
Reactions: Chocki

Firebird

Gerry Lopez status
Jun 5, 2010
OC
That's all I know!
As you can imagine, there's not a lot of interaction between convict crews and sworn Firefighters. You just see them in fire camp or out on the fire line. But you never get to hear what their story is.
My best guess is they get themselves wrapped up with the wrong dude and go down as an accessory, etc.

TeamScam

Miki Dora status
Jan 14, 2002
Mid-Atlantic
Tell us more!
Now this is a joke, I like to respect women but these ladies sound like perfect candidates for my Prison Brothel System of criminal rehabilitation. You scratch my back I scratch yours. Win/Win! Waste not want not. A kooter-flapper is a terrible thing to waste. In all seriousness, well, just make it back.

Reactions: TangTonic

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY

Yep.
[/QUOTE]
Someone please write this script and get it made k thanks in advance. I’m looking at you, Hollywood employed erBBers. There’s like 17 of you

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Wait until you see the female convict crews. Some of those girls make you wonder, "What the hell did you do so wrong that you landed yourself in jail?"
Vixen.com has probably already made this movie 17 different ways

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
well thanks for solving my “what to watch on a lazy Sunday”’mystery

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~

Yep.
[/QUOTE]

Yep.
[/QUOTE]
"The summer I spent working on a mop up crew was epic. Keep living your dream bro."
ha! My 1st year working on a crew. Mop up and making water bars. Dragging dead animals into a pile and burning them in a debris pile and more water bars. Over hill n' dale.

2nd year in was the Marble Cone Fire in 1977 in Big Sur. Got a call on my pager when I was living in the back harbor in Santa Cruz, got on the bus two weeks later after a few quick class's and review at UCSC then down 101 to King City for deployment. Huge fire camp in Carmel Valley. Crazy night sh!t. Double canteen carries. Sleeping in paper sleeping bags. Couple of guys bringing the wrong boots and got lit up. Some good friendships made. Still in contact with two guys after all these year on FB.
Stay safe, firebird. Give that young man of your's a hug for me.

Last edited:

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~
Preach, but.
:roflmao:

We had a "sawyer" (chain saw guy) n' his girlfriend on our Crew. She carried the fuel and tools on the Marble Cone Fire in Big Sur in 77. Big fire camp. Not many women then. They had showers there. One area was walled off for woman.
Couple of guys from a different crew snuck up for a peek at the women showering and got caught by "gladdy" (Gladys) from our crew. Heard she come out spitting n' preaching fire n' brimstone at the dirty sons of bitches who was looking in on the girls taking a shower and she was personally going to cut off their legs at the kneecaps with her chainsaw. Tough lil hippie chick from Soquel.
Boys got caught and booted out of camp.

Last edited:

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
My crew chief the summer I “fought fires” aka worked on a mop up crew out of Eugene OR 30 years ago?

Biker Sue

We just walked around looking for and putting out hot spots with hand tools for the most part. but there was one night on the Awbrey Hall fire where Bend OR was threatened to the point that I was behind a fire line looking for spot fires. Wasn’t on a part of the line that was threatened too much and all I really remember is how crazy it was with all the commotion especially the bulldozers plowing through the trees

1658680135457.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Subway and PPK96754

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
When I worked in Flagstaff there was a guy on our (construction) crew who did fire fighting during the summer (back when fires had seasons). He told me a story about the Native American crews. He said one fire he was on they put the Apache camp near the Navajo camp. The Navajo were not happy about it. Then one morning they (Navajos) woke up and had all had the SAME nightmare. They were totally freaked out about it. They blamed the Apache and moved camp.