*** The Official What Movies Are You Streaming Thread ***

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
I liked it, but didn't love it. Like not an actual story, just a series of vignettes...?
Yeah it just felt like PTA who I’m a big fan of wanted to jerk himself off to the valley more. We’ve already been down that road with him in films like Boogie Nights and Magnolia which are terrific films. And I got nothing against Phillip Seymour Hoffman’s kid. It’s not that he was a bad actor but I found his character to be a really unlikeable douche which is a death sentence when you’re the protagonist in a love story. I wanted him to lose every step of the way.

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
Definitely not up there with my favorite PTA films (There Will Be Blood being one of my favorites of anything made in the 2000s). Felt he took a chunk out of a story and didn't include the beginning/end. Nothing wrong with that, but it was an odd chunk to take. Didn't know that was Hoffman's son.

Reactions: rice and $kully

rice

Duke status
Jul 2, 2002
CA
Yeah it just felt like PTA who I’m a big fan of wanted to jerk himself off to the valley more. We’ve already been down that road with him in films like Boogie Nights and Magnolia which are terrific films. And I got nothing against Phillip Seymour Hoffman’s kid. It’s not that he was a bad actor but I found his character to be a really unlikeable douche which is a death sentence when you’re the protagonist in a love story. I wanted him to lose every step of the way.
I thought he was great, but yeah, his character was just not someone you rooted for. Her character either, for that matter.

I liked The Novice.

Reactions: $kully

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
I should re-watch "Wax of the Discovery of Television Among the Bees".

It isn't for everyone and needs some time/patience to start making sense.

Jan 30, 2014
Santa Cruz Mtns
This is where we post about good movies (or those to avoid) that are on streaming services.

Just watched Prospect on Netflix. I love a good low-budget sci-fi and this one kills it. Very little CGI, lots of home-made space sh!t. Great acting, good dialogue, excellent world-building.

thanks for suggesting this movie, my family really liked it.

Reactions: enframed

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III
thanks for suggesting this movie, my family really liked it.
Yeah it was great, I thought. Low-budget sci-fi FTW, again.

Watched this the other day;

It's OK. Vincent Cassel is always good. The best thing about this movie however is Rosario Dawson fully nude, FULLY NUDE. Goddamn is she something else.

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Fresh is very good. Satire the likes of which is rarely seen these days.

Titane is pretty good. Dunno that it deserved the Palme D'Or at Cannes though. About a chick who fucks and is impregnated by a Cadillac, and other things.

Promising Young Woman is super good.
Yes.

Also, finally saw that Octopus movie. Agree the du is a psycho, and he jumps to many conclusions about the intelligence of the octopus. I mean once he said it was "playing" he lost me. Projection much? I"m not saying it's stupid.

But then I'm not a marine biologist.

Last edited:

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
Netflix movie "The Witch" It's a Korean movie, so you'll need to turn on the subtitles.
Korean cinema is more interesting than American cinema these days

Train to Busan was super fun through and through

Bong Joon-ho's stuff is all worth watching

did anyone watch that Nick Cage movie, Pig? It's sort of confusing, but the ending is a straight kick in the chest....really strong. There's a bit of magical (sur)realism in there, but they don't have a lot of cues that that is what you're watching so it seems a little off-kilter.

I'm excited for the new Eggers movie, The Northman...it looks like it could be awesome. His previous two films are super fkn heavy. Dafoe is bonkers in The Lighthouse

fk PTA...Licorice Pizza is worse than The French Dispatch and TFD was a fkn abomination that should be wiped from the historical record

Reactions: Aruka

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
My Brilliant Friend, series streaming on HBOMax. It's a bildungsroman about a bunch of people, but primarily two young girlfriends, from Naples, Italy in the 1950s onward to adulthood. It's fucking brutal, and brilliant. The book are amazing, and the series doesn't capture some things that only literature can do, but it's very good. In Italian with subtitles.

Reactions: CutnSnip and Aruka

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California

This one resonates with me because some of my guys are actually supporting the real Space Force!
it got cancelled unfortunately but i thought it was pretty decent.

digging Made for Love on HBO MAX now...We Own this City is...just OK. not even close tot he Wire.

not alot of new stuff to watch at the moment. Netflix is a barren wasteland rn. BCS and Barry carrying me through the next month.

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Dancing Outlaw

30 minutes not wasted, I promise.

• Wow
Reactions: Woke AF

SrPato

Miki Dora status
Jul 12, 2005
San Buena Ventura
Saw French Connection (again) with ladyfriend. I smuggled copper mugs, vodka, ginger beer, ice cubes & limes in the backpack and we had Moscow Mules during the movie in the near empty theater. Still not sure what I think of the film as a whole, but like lots of individual scenes. From the previews, "Licorice Pizza" is one I'm really looking forward to.

View attachment 119406
That's taking "movie going" to whole new level. I applaud you sir! :applause2: :cheers::applause2:

Reactions: npsp

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Actor/writer/director Sarah Polley's Stories We Tell, about her learning at age 28 that she was the result of an affair her mother had. Polley is awesome in everything she does and this is great. Streaming on Youtube.

crustBrother

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001