Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
What I was saying about combining running with strength training-

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
And you thought marathoners were skinny. This guy walked the mile faster (5:31) than I can run one.

Also never knew that there was a 50km olympic event. It was discontinued in 2021 because there was no women's division. Couldn't they have just added a women's division?

By the way the world record pace for the 50km (31 miles ) was just under 7:00 minute a mile. That would be balzing for most runners in the marathon.

Elite athletes trip me out.

But what a weird sport.

Last edited:

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Started running again this last Monday. Needed as have been feeling stagnant (only surf sessions I've had lately have been meager) and doing too much stress eating.

First run out the gate on Monday, just a 5K worth or so, felt like death after a mile going around 8 minute pace but ran Tuesday, Thursday, feeling progressively better. Then ran about 9 miles on Saturday, started out relaxed pace, around 10 minute miles and increased pace to around 7:45 for last mile and a half or so. Felt good whole way through although took a solid nap afterwards.

Looking to run marathon in about 4 months time, call it 17 weeks. Sub 3:45 is a worthy goal for me. Any thoughts about this training plan?

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
Elite athletes trip me out.
They're obsessed with their sport. They have to be, they wouldn't be elite otherwise. It's totally selfish. And they need enablers, or better yet, a whole ecosystem of enablement. Some of them know this, some are oblivious.

Reactions: tacos

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Started running again this last Monday. Needed as have been feeling stagnant (only surf sessions I've had lately have been meager) and doing too much stress eating.

First run out the gate on Monday, just a 5K worth or so, felt like death after a mile going around 8 minute pace but ran Tuesday, Thursday, feeling progressively better. Then ran about 9 miles on Saturday, started out relaxed pace, around 10 minute miles and increased pace to around 7:45 for last mile and a half or so. Felt good whole way through although took a solid nap afterwards.

Looking to run marathon in about 4 months time, call it 17 weeks. Sub 3:45 is a worthy goal for me. Any thoughts about this training plan?

When I was working I could never schedule 5 days a week of running. My usual was 2x a week. 10k on Wednesdays with my school's running club and a weekend long run. Near the end I would try to add a 8 mile or so Friday run. I would calendar the distance to make sure I got in at least three 20 mile runs before the marathon (the year I did my PR I did three 22 milers on successive weekends). Going to or past 23 felt counterproductive to me. It only served to remind me how psychologically taking it was going to be the last miles. Whereas 20 or 22 miles I could finish feeling OK.

Also I could never do an "easy" run at 1:00 minute over marathon pace. They even recommend 30 seconds to a minute slower than your marathon pace for the long runs. If you're aiming for 8:45 that means running a 9:45 pace? It'll feel like walking and if you're like me, and I think you are (you like running that 7:45pace), when grandma and the overweight weekend warrior pass you, well, this aggression will not stand.

My long runs I just take it really easy, which might be a 8:45 pace and remember the rule to do any speed work during the last 1/4 of your run. If you have any gas left in the tank after 15 miles when you're doing your 20+ milers, you're golden.

Also, I think I've told you, my best results happened when I did not taper. Tapering felt to me like deconditioning. As long as you're not getting sore or injured.This plan tapers for two week. Maybe one? YMMV.

Reactions: Kento and tacos

tacos

Michael Peterson status
Feb 12, 2006
LB —> SF
I wish I had something to add about marathon training but I’m nowhere close yet, maybe in a few years. Currently dealing with some nagging likely overuse injuries the past few weeks, IT band syndrome, I dunno. Before that still just running 5-6 days a week for 45 min to ~1h20m, mostly at an easy pace (8:45-9:30 minute miles), just trying to see where I can get my base fitness level to without much structure.

From nerding-out and reading LetsRun and reddit, it seems like common advice is simply just putting in consistent time/miles on your feet, most of them easy to avoid injury, with some ”speed” work sprinkled in. I’m newer to running, so not sure how that resonates with you long-time/multiple marathon runners here?

For the hell of it, I tried to run a sub-20 5k on my own the other day running the length of Golden Gate Park from east to west— it has some gradual rolling hills but ultimately net-downhill which put me at…. 20:01. Damn! I blame getting tripped up at the end making a wrong turn in the last 150 meters or so. I kept a decent pace looking at my kilometer splits 3:50, 3:59, 3:58, and then fell down to 4:15 trying to relax a bit, then back to 3:59 for the last km (For reference 4:00/km is about 6:26/mile). Damn near all out effort, despite the net downhill the uphill portions really take a toll. I didn’t realize I slowed so much on the 4th km since the GPS on Strava app never showed me over 4:00/km.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
I wish I had something to add about marathon training but I’m nowhere close yet, maybe in a few years. Currently dealing with some nagging likely overuse injuries the past few weeks, IT band syndrome, I dunno. Before that still just running 5-6 days a week for 45 min to ~1h20m, mostly at an easy pace (8:45-9:30 minute miles), just trying to see where I can get my base fitness level to without much structure.

From nerding-out and reading LetsRun and reddit, it seems like common advice is simply just putting in consistent time/miles on your feet, most of them easy to avoid injury, with some ”speed” work sprinkled in. I’m newer to running, so not sure how that resonates with you long-time/multiple marathon runners here?

For the hell of it, I tried to run a sub-20 5k on my own the other day running the length of Golden Gate Park from east to west— it has some gradual rolling hills but ultimately net-downhill which put me at…. 20:01. Damn! I blame getting tripped up at the end making a wrong turn in the last 150 meters or so. I kept a decent pace looking at my kilometer splits 3:50, 3:59, 3:58, and then fell down to 4:15 trying to relax a bit, then back to 3:59 for the last km (For reference 4:00/km is about 6:26/mile). Damn near all out effort, despite the net downhill the uphill portions really take a toll. I didn’t realize I slowed so much on the 4th km since the GPS on Strava app never showed me over 4:00/km.
That's running fast. If you really like that feeling, a marathon might not be for you. Hardest thing for me and most beginners is starting/running slow. Distance running is not a good spectator sport. Watch the start of the Badwater 135. (10:05).

Reactions: Kento and tacos

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
With the warming weather and increasing daylight (currently light well before 6 AM), can easily get a run in before work. Weekends are even easier as I'm usually up and going before the rest of the family.

The run at marathon pace and then add to the distance didn't work so well in a short training window. Being able to build distance first and having the time to do so is a nice luxury this time around.

I need to figure out water situation for longer runs. Not a huge fan of carrying a bottle by hand - thinking about a Camelbak or something if it doesn't chafe. Will test out those carb shots too as I really bonked hard in that first attempt last year. Also wasted a lot of energy like an idiot in the first couple miles.

Will run the 5K the day prior to the marathon with my daughter, which will be a lot of fun, as will training with her in the weeks prior.

Last edited:
Reactions: One-Off

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
With the warming weather and increasing daylight (currently light well before 6 AM), can easily get a run in before work. Weekends are even easier as I'm usually up and going before the rest of the family.

The run at marathon pace and then add to the distance didn't work so well in a short training window. Being able to build distance first and having the time to do so is a nice luxury this time around.

I need to figure out water situation for longer runs. Not a huge fan of carrying a bottle by hand - thinking about a Camelbak or something if it doesn't chafe. Will test out those carb shots too as I really bonked hard in that first attempt last year. Also wasted a lot of energy like an idiot in the first couple miles.

Will run the 5K the day prior to the marathon with my daughter, which will be a lot of fun, as will training with her in the weeks prior.
I have a belt with a single water bottle that is angled (makes it easy to take out). I fill it 2/3s with gatorade and the rest with ice cubes. On long runs I would take Clif Shot Blocks (like giant gummy bears) and two Clif Shots, one for the turn around and one closer to the end when I would lose steam. Test out the flavors. The only one I coiuld stomack was coffee with caffeine.

Which marathon are you planning on running?

Reactions: Kento

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
I have a belt with a single water bottle that is angled (makes it easy to take out). I fill it 2/3s with gatorade and the rest with ice cubes. On long runs I would take Clif Shot Blocks (like giant gummy bears) and two Clif Shots, one for the turn around and one closer to the end when I would lose steam. Test out the flavors. The only one I coiuld stomack was coffee with caffeine.

Which marathon are you planning on running?
Nice. I think those would come in handy. I'll try some of those for longer practice runs. Was barely running 20 miles a week prior to running that previous marathon so already ahead of the game and feeling pretty good about it, hopefully not getting injured.

Santa Rosa Marathon. Relatively flat course. And not too far from where I live so easy to run to sections of it from my house which is huge in terms of preparation.

Reactions: One-Off

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
1st week of that training regime in the books. Relatively easy runs but more consistent than I've been doing (5 days running instead of 2 or 3/week) and felt that IT band on right knee getting pretty tight. Actually wasn't too bad from running 8 miles yesterday morning but doing 4.5 mile hike with the family later that morning/afternoon, uphill was fine but downhill was tough. But overall feeling pretty damn good and part of my run yesterday was a stretch of the marathon course, which I will do more of as I increase distance, jumping up from 24 to 30 miles this week. Kinda glad today is a rest day, though.

Laughable in hindsight how much I half-assed training for that marathon last year. Just need to make sure I don't go overboard and dry-dock myself.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
I was looking at the Sean O'Brian Trail Ultramarathon website today. They have a 30k, a marathon, 50k, 50 mile and 100k distances. It's in the Santa Monica Mountains, a lot of it on the Backbone Trail (see afoaf's description in his last post on the back packing thread). I was thinking I might like to do that and was wondering what distance I would run? I got all amped up and went for a run. I was going to do my usual 13 miler and about 4 miles in my calf started cramping. Now I was wondering should I do 10 miles? 11? 12? or just tough it out and do 13? Then my calf cramped really bad. I had to turn around at four miles and limp back home. Second time in about 10 years this has happened (since I started with the sandals). Fuk!

I was also thinking of doing the Golden Gate Half Marathon. I looked at the results from 2022 and was thinking, man, I could do a top five, maybe even a top 3 finish in my age group. Then I watched this video. It seems like the course is really narrow and there is heavy traffic the whole way. That might explain the slow times. That and the hills. I think I would go crazy spending the whole race trying to pass people. In the LA marathon the course is usually 6 lanes wide and clears out after a couple miles.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Santa Rosa Marathon is pretty wide open luckily and flat especially once you get into the vineyards - it's a good Boston qualifier I suppose. But yeah, there is one area where it goes from city streets to trail that it bottlenecks and you slow down. I absolutely kooked that last year, bobbing and weaving through the crowd, around Mile 18 (OK, mile 11) I was wishing I had saved that energy. Definitely not making that same mistake twice as it sure didn't save me any time in the end. Already feeling more mentally and physically prepared than was last year, running well. Good diversion from spring winds - looks like the weekend forecast went back to sh!t.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Santa Rosa Marathon is pretty wide open luckily and flat especially once you get into the vineyards - it's a good Boston qualifier I suppose. But yeah, there is one area where it goes from city streets to trail that it bottlenecks and you slow down. I absolutely kooked that last year, bobbing and weaving through the crowd, around Mile 18 (OK, mile 11) I was wishing I had saved that energy. Definitely not making that same mistake twice as it sure didn't save me any time in the end. Already feeling more mentally and physically prepared than was last year, running well. Good diversion from spring winds - looks like the weekend forecast went back to sh!t.
Still looking at the Avenue of the Giants marathon. I'd probably do the half. This marathon is out and back course which I'm not crazy about. Logistically it would be more difficult but looks very cool and flat. Although it could get difficult because in a way the scenery never changes. Compare the drive thoufgh to the LA Marathon drive through.

LA (old course)

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
OK I kind of hate myself now for choosing running over surfing this morning with the first available day with good conditions in a long while. Offshore winds, combo swell, but I wanted to get in that 10+ mile run in today as part of that marathon training. And damn if it wasn't a beautiful day for that too. Sunny, light breeze, mid-50s, nice view of mountains, etc. Camping down at Pismo this weekend so maybe some waves to make up for it.

Avenue of the Giants looks like a really cool marathon. Camped in that area and it is really beautiful. Going through that way again in coming weeks.

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
My wife uses some "Gu" brand energy gels for long runs and brings them in a little running belt.
Other people I know use the mini water belts too.
For races, there are water stations, so it's not as big a problem.

I ran a whopping 3 miles in Calabassas on Saturday. First run in a loooong. time.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
My wife uses some "Gu" brand energy gels for long runs and brings them in a little running belt.
Other people I know use the mini water belts too.
For races, there are water stations, so it's not as big a problem.

I ran a whopping 3 miles in Calabassas on Saturday. First run in a loooong. time.
Ordered a 24 pack of those Gu energy gels. Naturally, they arrived right after I finished my lunchtime run - 7 miles with a warmup/cooldown mile bracketing four 7:30 miles with mini cooldowns in between. So not motivated to run today as I slept poorly but glad I did. Got the blood flowing well, good day to try out one of those wicking running shirts. Is good (no nipple chafe) but black may have been a poor color choice given it was a warmer day today. 30 mile week last week also that didn't leave me too much the worse for wear.

I don't usually drink coffee and caffeine does give me the churns so it will be interesting to see how those gels go. My usual neighborhood route has ample portapotties throughout though so good opportunity to test that out.

Reactions: tacos and One-Off