the official PYJAMARAMA + thread...

donuts

Tom Curren status
Jan 23, 2005
@ the fun house
If you haven't read the Chris Frantz' new book, don't bother.
So much pent up anger and self-aggrandizement.

well mannered bland drummers writing books? i know they don’t like d.b. - probably with good reason, but still.... does he think anybody thought he was what was interesting about t.h? tom-tom club sucked.

on the other hand, are there any good stories about his time working with the heroic genius shawn ryder?

i have a friend that used to socialize with him and tina, had nothing but good things to say about them. i always thought she could have done better - see if you can find the image of her in an ad, modelling a ‘punk’ magazine t-shirt (c. 1975-76)...

:applause2:

• Love
Reactions: plasticbertrand

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
well mannered bland drummers writing books? i know they don’t like d.b. - probably with good reason, but still.... does he think anybody thought he was what was interesting about t.h? tom-tom club sucked.
Sums it up pretty good. He and Tina basically came up with all ideas and DB was just an autistic goon who made spin paintings and had no taste in anything and pretended to read books about cybernetics that he didn't understand.

Oh and also, Chris gave DB his Lacoste polos that he got for Christmas from mommy and made DB a fashion icon. :poop:

The book really ruined TH for me, just knowing that CF was a spoiled brat whose daddy was an admiral and who thought he knew everything about art and music.

There were literally 100 name drops on every page, including drug use, so Shaun Ryder could have been in there. :dancing:

Some interesting stories from their early days of opening for the Ramones tho.

donuts

Tom Curren status
Jan 23, 2005
@ the fun house
Sums it up pretty good. He and Tina basically came up with all ideas and DB was just an autistic goon who made spin paintings and had no taste in anything and pretended to read books about cybernetics that he didn't understand.

Oh and also, Chris gave DB his Lacoste polos that he got for Christmas from mommy and made DB a fashion icon. :poop:

The book really ruined TH for me, just knowing that CF was a spoiled brat whose daddy was an admiral and who thought he knew everything about art and music.

There were literally 100 name drops on every page, including drug use, so Shaun Ryder could have been in there. :dancing:

Some interesting stories from their early days of opening for the Ramones tho.

impulse purchase! - $15 on amazon!

i saw the heads 3 or 4 times at C.B.s, back around ‘75, always with the ramones top-billed. they were just a 3 piece then, and were kind of ricketty, but o.k. weird... the first two times i saw the ramones was the best thing i ever saw, EVER! that was def ‘75... “WTF?!?!”
:roflmao:

risd kids are almost always prats - i think it’s part of the core curriculum up there...

you should get johnny ramone’s autobio, commando, you will enjoy his worldview.

depends who cf name dropped. the amazing thing about nyc then was just how many (in)famous creeps you would run into in bars, restaurants, galleries, and out on the street if you hung around downtown. (and/or knew a lot of photographers...:roflmao:)

from the photo-rig/fujifilm pnt&sht thread,
are you familiar with mark cohen?

and wtf happened to all the disappeared top tunes that were on this thread??? did the mods move them all over with the eddie van halen eulogies? it must be smiths homophobia - or he thought “sexy scots” referred to orange juice and not the chicks in the video... ?

:socrazy:

Reactions: Belchfire1

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
impulse purchase! - $15 on amazon!

i saw the heads 3 or 4 times at C.B.s, back around ‘75, always with the ramones top-billed. they were just a 3 piece then, and were kind of ricketty, but o.k. weird... the first two times i saw the ramones was the best thing i ever saw, EVER! that was def ‘75... “WTF?!?!”
:roflmao:
ROFL

I hate you, I mean, like, literally. :dancing:

I had to wait until 1982 when they decided to show up in Belgrade with Adrian Belew and the expanded lineup.

But yeah, they sounded horrible in that '75 CB video that resurfaced.

risd kids are almost always prats - i think it’s part of the core curriculum up there...
I figured that much from the book, though CF painted a very rosy picture of their time there.
He came across as a creep with the ladies and also the way he courted Tina, it's a bit gross. I may have skipped those pages. :roflmao:

depends who cf name dropped. the amazing thing about nyc then was just how many (in)famous creeps you would run into in bars, restaurants, galleries, and out on the street if you hung around downtown. (and/or knew a lot of photographers...:roflmao:)

from the photo-rig/fujifilm pnt&sht thread,
are you familiar with mark cohen?
CF name dropped literally everybody who was anybody in NYC in the mid-seventies. From AW parties to Lou Reed trying to sign them to his label and doing drugs in the bathroon with a bunch of other names you'll probably recognize.
It's a shame that he's such an insecure prick but I think the book will work better for you, since you've lived it and a lot of it will make more sense.

One thing he got right is that Tina's basslines often carried a lot of the TH groove, which I haven't really paid much attention to, since DB's high pitched, strained vocal and twangy guitar stole the limelight most of the time.

Mark Cohen is great and kind of an US equivalent of Martin Parr, who I love. I'm comically bad at brazen street people photos. I get lucky every know and then. I'm more of a brutal architecture and misery of human existence - in that context, type of guy. :bricks:

http://instagr.am/p/B90LfXXBcjT/
Report back on that book, it would be a good laugh to hear your take on it.

PeederNorteRips

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jun 12, 2008
In Your Face
Visit site
I remember when DB, CF, and Tina were called The Artists. They opened for my friend's band a couple of times. Had many friends at RISD in those days and hung in the same circles as the aforementioned. There was a bar at the foot of College Hill, right on the edge of downtown called The Incredible Organ. It was the hangout spot for the art and music crowd in the city during the early 70s.
A bunch of us went to see Captain Beefheart in Providence one night. DB sat right in front of me.

~rwright~

Michael Peterson status
Apr 14, 2015
Los Angeles~California!
i was aged 2 years old, back when this particular 'pajamarama' song played out, this is what thee beat~niks + hip~sters
of that era would have seen on thee loc' big screen movie theater waaay back then:
hahaha, is that your Mom's or Grandma dancin' on~screen, boyz?
:dancing:

ps ~ "Talkin'' on The Telephone":
this 1 is for you ooold 'New~Wavers', ya early '80's punkx:
hahaha...
:jamon:

Last edited: