The Official OBSF Support Group

Tarab_ish

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 14, 2018
feel like it was just so weird all winter. lots of sand all over the place I guess? every big swell everything south of noriega was just breaking super far out to sea. More distance and depth between the outer and inner sandbars? Last friday I surfed late afternoon on the negative low tide -- it was barely head high but breaking on the way out there bars, super deep water between that and the shorebreak.

Woke AF

Tom Curren status
Jul 29, 2009
Southern Tip, Norcal

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
I've been taking my neighbor's kite surfing trainer kite out on the beach most evenings lately. Those things are pretty damn powerful even though they are tiny compared to what they use out on the water.

Kiting The Beach scares me, quite honestly.
I've seen too many fail videos and I've laughed too hard. Kite karma will drag me up Sloat and park me in the zoo

waxhead

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 31, 2009
A guy who I sharded the lineup with for a few years got into kiting. Told me how much fun it was. I told him I was scared of being a few miles out and having the rig get messed up. He told me it happens, and he has had to make some long swims, like over an hour. He also said he was in Mex and saw an abandoned setup. He went in and told the other kiters that they all needed to go look for the guy. They shrugged and said no big deal, it happens all the time. That's a big nope for me...

I've seen people blown way out to sea too. Having to trouble shoot equipment failure from the shipping channel with 25 mph winds sounds sketch.

May 28, 2022
I've been taking my neighbor's kite surfing trainer kite out on the beach most evenings lately. Those things are pretty damn powerful even though they are tiny compared to what they use out on the water.
I used to take my trainer out there when I first got into it. I got a terrible high ankle sprain one evening, and my buddy stupidly flew horizontal through the air into the cement break wall another time. Super-powered.

Dec 5, 2020
SF
Mid-day today was kinda fun w/ the long period south swell running. No kite needed.

The sand is so jacked though. As moved around as the bars are, I’d think there would be some upside- new zones/peaks…but I haven’t seen it (granted work has kept me out of the water a lot lately). Seems like it just got excavated further out to sea for the most part.

Will be interesting to see if things return to status quo; how long it takes. Can anyone remember the sand being moved around as much as this winter? When did it normalize?

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
Mid-day today was kinda fun w/ the long period south swell running. No kite needed.

The sand is so jacked though. As moved around as the bars are, I’d think there would be some upside- new zones/peaks…but I haven’t seen it (granted work has kept me out of the water a lot lately). Seems like it just got excavated further out to sea for the most part.

Will be interesting to see if things return to status quo; how long it takes. Can anyone remember the sand being moved around as much as this winter? When did it normalize?

Looks like there have been some fun windows this week. A friend sent me a video from Tuesday or Wednesday morning to rub it in. Pretty classic, fun, spring stuff. This Sunday looks like a nice day to stay inside.

YeahNo

OTF status
Jan 20, 2017
Kelly's Cove
It's been fun. Low expectations, couple hacks, and speed runs mixed with a lot of sand in the contacts and ears. this morning looks a bit better organized.
I have to admit, thick fog surf is a little too spooky for me. My mind starts to play tricks after a while :shark:

Reactions: tacos