The Official OBSF Support Group

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
Surfline's algorithm has been pretty laughable lately.

I haven't heard anything new. With the way things like that cycle through the news, I won't expect one.

Tarab_ish

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 14, 2018
Also, (I think this is non-partisan, so) I'm glad that measure I didn't pass. It wasn't directly spelled out in the measure itself, but reopening and keeping open great highway south of sloat would require a big-ass sea wall, which just couldn't be a good thing for the beach.

Last edited:

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
Also, (I think this is non-partisan, so) I'm glad that measure I didn't pass. It wasn't directly spelled out in the measure itself, but reopening and keeping open great highway south of sloat would require a big-ass sea wall, which just couldn't be a good thing for the beach.

Something sort of mitigation measure is going to happen at some point, but I hear you.

I like the weekend closure of Great Highway. I think they could do a lot more with that area, but that's not really what the measure was about. With the increased traffic on Sunset, it is certainly in need of repairs and, perhaps, some slight restructuring. More pressing is probably the route through GGP

I was out there during the rescue, it was pretty wild to watch. Some boogie boarders saw him possibly have a seizure and then get repeatedly slammed in the shore break while unconscious
Damn, that sucks. Was he swimming or surfing/boogieing

Reactions: Tarab_ish

waxhead

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 31, 2009
I'd have to disagree. That part of the great has been fixed a bunch over the decades, and closing it to cars won't stop the erosion. Using that as an excuse to keep the Great from Lincoln to Sloat closed, even on weekends, is a burden to folks who live in the outer sunset and people who use it to commute.

80mil? Hell the city spends ten times that on the homeless every year. When I was a kid we rode bikes everywhere-to GGP and through the Presidio into Marin. All over Fort Funsten, lake merced, etc. We stayed out of the way of cars. Now bike riders expect the cars to stay out of their way, and SFMTA is down with it. Backasswards to me.

I don't live in the city but do use the great to get home to Pacifica. If those bike nazis try to block me when the highway is supposed to be open, it will take a lot of will power not to put it in 4wheel drive and just go. I'm glad it hasn't happened. It's frustrating enough dealing with the anti car BS in SF as it is, without facing felony manslaughter.

Reactions: Mandudebro

tomminator123

OTF status
Dec 22, 2017
Something sort of mitigation measure is going to happen at some point, but I hear you.

I like the weekend closure of Great Highway. I think they could do a lot more with that area, but that's not really what the measure was about. With the increased traffic on Sunset, it is certainly in need of repairs and, perhaps, some slight restructuring. More pressing is probably the route through GGP

Damn, that sucks. Was he swimming or surfing/boogieing
He was surfing, he’s one of the regulars out there. I usually see him on a purple fish

Tarab_ish

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 14, 2018
well there's two areas at issue right? Whether/when the great highway north of sloat would be open to cars, and reopening the area south of sloat to cars. Keeping cars off either won't stop erosion I agree, but requiring that the area south of sloat to be re-opened to cars would require (more) armoring. That section of road is currently eroding away, and there's no way, from what I can tell, to save it without significant armoring.

Last edited:

RemyXO

Michael Peterson status
Mar 12, 2003
San Luis Obispo
Driving through SF, from the 280N to the 101N, I would always go the Great Highway route. No doubt it's always longer, and actually a bit of a pain, but I love that side of the City. Would always go around Land's End and then up to the bridge. Now with the GH closed, I'm bummed that I don't go that way as much.

Reactions: bluengreen

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
well there's two areas at issue right? Whether/when the great highway north of sloat would be open to cars, and reopening the area south of sloat to cars. Keeping cars off either won't stop erosion I agree, but requiring that the area south of sloat to be re-opened to cars would require (more) armoring. That section of road is currently eroding away, and there's no way, from what I can tell, to save it without significant armoring.

The waster water treatment plant by the zoo is way way too important (and was super duper expensive to build and would be even more expensive to replace), so I don't think SF is gonna let erosion take it any time soon. The road on top of that eroding bluff might (?) slow down the erosion somewhat. I am gonna guess SF tax payers are going to be paying for some ongoing kind of erosion control, be it in the form of sand replenishment projects mixed with plants and/or some sort of armoring.

I wonder if they will end up dumping bay dredging there to help slow things down (though highly doubt the GGNRA would allow that though....probably would be ok with taking some sand from the way way way outside bars).

Reactions: Tarab_ish

waxhead

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 31, 2009
The waster water treatment plant by the zoo is way way too important (and was super duper expensive to build and would be even more expensive to replace), so I don't think SF is gonna let erosion take it any time soon. The road on top of that eroding bluff might (?) slow down the erosion somewhat. I am gonna guess SF tax payers are going to be paying for some ongoing kind of erosion control, be it in the form of sand replenishment projects mixed with plants and/or some sort of armoring.

I wonder if they will end up dumping bay dredging there to help slow things down (though highly doubt the GGNRA would allow that though....probably would be ok with taking some sand from the way way way outside bars).
Yes, and they have been repairing that road, and will have to keep doing so regardless of cars. BTW, is it not open now? I'm not crazy about them closing it to cars, but oh well. The great highway itself is another matter. That's part of a political agenda, whatever that might be.

Reactions: Mr Doof

SFKneelo

Gerry Lopez status
Feb 11, 2003
Bay Area
Visit site

There’s these plans, and similar ones on Surfrider… think you’re right:

Reactions: Bob Dobbalina

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
First: I figured that there was already a plan in place for shoring up the South end after Sloat. I think including it as evidence for either measure was misleading.

Slightly related: I always wondered why there was such a gap in the seawall/walkway from Noriega - Irving and south of Quintara

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2020
SF
He was surfing, he’s one of the regulars out there. I usually see him on a purple fish
Sh!t, hope it’s not the guy I’m thinking. Surfs the north end of the beach quite a bit? Always on a purple fish…

Regardless, sounds bad- hope whoever it is recovers.

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
Sh!t, hope it’s not the guy I’m thinking. Surfs the north end of the beach quite a bit? Always on a purple fish…

Regardless, sounds bad- hope whoever it is recovers.

I might recognize the guy you're talking about. Asian dude, maybe? Buddies with most of the guys out at the peak around the corner? Kinda average ability but gets set waves?