***The Official Mid-Length Thread***

jory

OTF status
Aug 13, 2006
UK
Visit site
Let’s face it, there are really two type of “mid lengths”

There’s the original idea of them being alternative designs that drew different lines on waves, you know like hulls, eggs, long fish etc. These can be interesting and fun as long as you embrace the lines they are intended to draw and you don’t try and shortboard surf them like Dane Reynolds in that original Stab acid test thingy. Kinda like embracing the fact that a 5’6 twin keel fish ain’t gonna launch air reverses like a 5’8 thruster shortboard.

And then there’s stuff like that Chilli which is essentially a rebranded mini-mal or “chunky” shortboard. It’s mostly a crutch for older or fatter surfers or intermediates who wish they could shortboard and as such will always make the surfing on them look like the poor imitation of good shortboard surfing that they are.

( see mick fanning above etc)

Convince me I’m wrong?

bluengreen

Michael Peterson status
Oct 22, 2018
SF x Encinitas
Let’s face it, there are really two type of “mid lengths”

There’s the original idea of them being alternative designs that drew different lines on waves, you know like hulls, eggs, long fish etc. These can be interesting and fun as long as you embrace the lines they are intended to draw and you don’t try and shortboard surf them like Dane Reynolds in that original Stab acid test thingy. Kinda like embracing the fact that a 5’6 twin keel fish ain’t gonna launch air reverses like a 5’8 thruster shortboard.

And then there’s stuff like that Chilli which is essentially a rebranded mini-mal or “chunky” shortboard. It’s mostly a crutch for older or fatter surfers or intermediates who wish they could shortboard and as such will always make the surfing on them look like the poor imitation of good shortboard surfing that they are.

( see mick fanning above etc)

Convince me I’m wrong?
Basically my take too.