***The Official Mid-Length Thread***

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Never got the beak thing. Adding foam the first 12 inches in the nose flip does NOT help paddling. It just makes the board harder to duck dive.
I think part of the key is you dont want much nose flip in a beak nose design. By adding foam up front you make the nose bouyant so you can push on the front foot and get a lot of drive without burying the nose. At least thats been my experience based on owning quite a few beak nosed boards at this point.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
I think part of the key is you dont want much nose flip in a beak nose design. By adding foam up front you make the nose bouyant so you can push on the front foot and get a lot of drive without burying the nose. At least thats been my experience based on owning quite a few beak nosed boards at this point.
So nothing to do with paddling? I don't know that I have enough power to bury the rail up to the last 6-12 inches of the nose even on a foiled out board. Maybe I just need to do more squats?

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
So nothing to do with paddling? I don't know that I have enough power to bury the rail up to the last 6-12 inches of the nose even on a foiled out board. Maybe I just need to do more squats?
No I think it helps with paddling too. I didn't word it very well above. Basically the more foam is up front the more pressure you can apply without the nose sinking. Whether that's foot pressure or just your body weight when paddling. The nice thing about a beak nose is you can add volume up front without adding width. So you can gain paddle power without having a wide, catchy nose. Just like anything there is tradeoffs and it's just one aspect of a design that all needs to work together. A few years ago I was kind of anti beak nose just because I don't especially like how they look (although they have grown on me).

averagejoe

Miki Dora status
May 28, 2008
So far away
www.mardawg.com
I was walking the dog at the point at minus tide yesterday and spotted a pretty cool looking Andreni midlength under the arm of an older guy talking to another older guy. I said nice board and asked a couple questions and the older guy not holding the board said that the older guy holding the board was the Peter, brother of Marc. So we ended up shooting the sh!t about boards and life for 15 minutes or so. He tried to sell me a 9’0 vaquero but wouldn’t let go of the 7’10 he had under his arm.

anyone try a vaquero edge board in the 8’ range? Looks fun

i want a fun performancey midlength…

Reactions: JDJ

chilly1

Nep status
Jan 4, 2010
They are
Dang dude.Sweet Andreinis.

Can anyone comment on the Vaquero? I want one but don't know why. I think Woke AF likes his.
They are pretty incredible, pushing on the tail activates speed, and the hull slice through the water like butter. I highly recommend it. Mine from a few years back has 2+1, based upon Marcs recs, 80% of his orders are edge-bottom versions now
The Double ender in a Vaquero with a template geared toward a more vertical approach

Reactions: Woke AF

bluengreen

Michael Peterson status
Oct 22, 2018
SF x Encinitas
Awesome. I'm checking a 7'6 on CList this week. What's the bottom range for these boards? Assuming they like a clean, lined-up wave.

chilly1

Nep status
Jan 4, 2010
Awesome. I'm checking a 7'6 on CList this week. What's the bottom range for these boards? Assuming they like a clean, lined-up wave.
exactly and even 1" can be really fun when it's like that. even a little chop is fine but not the best in burgers
It seems like you can't really oversize these for the approach, mine is only 7'2 as I wanted it to fit in car and be dockable, would be stoked on an even 8" I think as well. A guy was picking up a 9'6 Vaquero edge glider when I was there, he says it goes from 1-12+ and is also marcs daily driver, EPS

Last edited: