***The Official Mid-Length Thread***

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
@hotCheetos once you get over the self-loathing of a ML, I’d say 8”-12” over your height. Personally I have zero interest in riding a ML in nice chest high reefs- that’s when almost all my other boars light up… and sadly that’s what I consider decent-good conditions for us. I only want the crowd-killing and paddling crutch when it’s stomach-high or below. YMMV. Choose your ML accordingly :shaka:

hotCheetos

OTF status
Mar 28, 2020
@hotCheetos once you get over the self-loathing of a ML, I’d say 8”-12” over your height. Personally I have zero interest in riding a ML in nice chest high reefs- that’s when almost all my other boars light up… and sadly that’s what I consider decent-good conditions for us. I only want the crowd-killing and paddling crutch when it’s stomach-high or below. YMMV. Choose your ML accordingly :shaka:
waist to chest high reefs is what itd be for at a certain spot that you need a longer board for the crowd. i can get lots of waves on the 8ft foamie but other than cutbacks and figure 8s struggle to do much else. unfortunately with my shoulder id normally ride shortboards but cant at the moment. however i did just get a cortisone shot and its feeling much better so i'm encouraged. neighbor actually has a 7'6 i think im going try out tomorrow to get a feel for size.

sushipop

Michael Peterson status
Feb 7, 2008
The Dagobah System
how do i size a mid length? do i add 5 / 10 liters to my usual shortboard volume? was looking at the CI mid dims for reference and they seemed light but thats prob because they are performance driven. I got a shoulder injury and longboarding puts a lot less strain on it than shortboarding but im sick of riding my beater foamie. im 215 shortboards usually around 38 39 liters usual;y get custom bc otr dims are too small for me. worried same my happen if i go otr mid length.
http://instagr.am/p/CgHwEUOJMsz/

Goodfish

Michael Peterson status
Feb 22, 2014
This is why we mid length. I couldn't handle the self-loathing that getting a longboard would cause, but I didn't want to try to shortboard waist-high waves. ML is the compromise. The glide is so fun, but you can still do a turn that is a little less boaty than on a foamie. The problem is that my ML is so fun that it starts whispering to me to get me to take it out in more decent sized conditions...

The last 3 boards I have ordered/bought have all been mid lengths...:rolleyes:

toowalled

Nep status
Jul 3, 2014
Imagine being in say, Matt Parker's shoes. You have Yuri wanting to do a You tube video on your boards with an online consultation. How does one keep a straight face and not go all Raglan surf reportesque?
I think was on beachgrit podcast chaz was talking about matt shutting down salsa for a board review.

Reactions: chilly1

HSO

Sep 2, 2020
The Moe is a better option for those small conditions.But don't believe that guy would surf it any different.
But if he has demand... good for him...