***The Official Mid-Length Thread***

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
hey g'morning jimmy,

the 7-2 AG twin has fin boxes around 11.5" if I recall. AG designed it for keels or upright twins. i've had fun with both. it's hard to compare a 7-2 to what I usually ride. i think the more forward placement allows for turning from further forward on the board which is nice because it's a relatively long. it feels fairly forgiving with foot placement but one thing i noticed is that if i get my rear foot too far back behind the fins it doesn't feel right. it pivots better but loses drive and sometimes just feels really funky. it's like if my foot is that far back i'm almost doing a wheelie and the forward rail is disengaged and so forth.

some of the other longer twins I own have fairly forward placement as well. 6-8 townsend is like 10", 6-4 album bullet RT twin is around 9". i get somewhat of the same feeling on these if my rear foot gets too far back. to be clear, i don't naturally have my foot back that far, it's more like something i've felt when i'm kinda goofing off just trying to feel around for the sweet spot or when i've made a mistake. i think for a narrow tailed twin there is probably a point at which you can only place them so far back before the spread between the fins becomes too narrow or something?

for the shorter twins that are meant for upright fins i do appreciate the more rearward placement (7"-8.5") because you can place your foot all the way back and have a very pivotal, free feeling without losing any projection. i think the sweet spot for me is having the outside of my rear foot basically over the trailing edge of the fins during maneuvers.
Yep totally agree regardless fin placement always want back foot over cluster and yes forward fins step on tail beyond cluster and my alpha omega starts getting swirly as in drunk driving swirly. I had to remove a pad when I 1st got my AO and use wax until I figured out sweet spot then put on another:foreheadslap: Nice thing about my it2win is the stinger wing almost like another fin in wave face and has really nice glide and trim.

Reactions: Aruka
Oct 25, 2019
Recently yolo'd a 6'8 Chilli Mid Strength for largish beach burgers, which I often encounter where I live.

2 surfs and it's doing the things I wanted, ie paddling and catching waves, going fast down the line despite the mush, however turning the thing requires a fair bit of planning vs my short boards.

Futures 5 fin setup, the 2 surfs have been with honeycomb AM1 thruster.

Thinking quad to loosen things up, but still want some hold for rail turns off the bottom.

All suggestions appreciated.

Was thinking these:

In person the large side fin seems would provide hold, while the trailer is quite small and would hopefully pivot off the (nearly) top.

Thanks!

Reactions: Havoc and SD_Dan

caramel_Sea

Michael Peterson status
May 29, 2008
www.flickr.com
Rocker apex centered makes it feel more playful and skateboardy, earlier lift, stiffer, and quicker release. The quintessential surfboard. More top to bottom. Switched all my designs to center this year. Easier to learn from board to board as nose and tail rocker are the same length.

Rocker apex forward feels softer, slower turns, longer turns not enough lift to turn quickly.

Havoc

Phil Edwards status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
Recently yolo'd a 6'8 Chilli Mid Strength for largish beach burgers, which I often encounter where I live.

2 surfs and it's doing the things I wanted, ie paddling and catching waves, going fast down the line despite the mush, however turning the thing requires a fair bit of planning vs my short boards.

Thinking quad to loosen things up, but still want some hold for rail turns off the bottom.

Was thinking these:

In person the large side fin seems would provide hold, while the trailer is quite small and would hopefully pivot off the (nearly) top.

Thanks!
the old light blue mayhem quads r money

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
Not a big fan of Rusty's but this one looks good.

The single/twin option is interesting.

Need to see in person.

Rusty ExpR.ess is up!

Reactions: sdsrfr and chilly1
Oct 25, 2019

Was thinking these:

Thanks!
To follow up, due to the thunderous support here I purchased these fins, and have a few sessions on them. Yesterday was by far in the best surf. Shoulder to a little oh, very clean lined up point.

Board and fins did surprisingly well (surprising to a guy who almost exclusively surfs shortboards).

Easy paddle and takeoff, pretty darn solid entry and bottom turns, great projection and speed down the line. Managed a couple real turns, but still nothing as dynamic as a sb. C'est la vie.

One particularly bowly section did find the limits of the board, but at 21 3/8 I'm surprised it wasn't sliding out everywhere the whole day.

This mid strength is a very good surfboard.

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
Not sure how long this has been up on Lib Tech’s site, but I’d never seen it before.

Designed by Gerry’s son Alex Lopez.

LengthWidthThicknessVolume
7’4”21.25"2.625"51.0 cl

Reactions: Aruka
Dec 28, 2019
Been enjoying my Merrick M13 7.0 epoxy thruster for sometime now. Quick and easy to paddle and get into waves and can work the face a bit when i want. Keeps me in the lineup with all the long boarders that i have to compete with. I have been thinking about stepping down a bit in size though but am having a hard time finding something that i might like more?

Last edited:

Goodfish

Michael Peterson status
Feb 22, 2014
Took my 7'5 Ryan Burch single fin asym Halibut out in overhead rolling typhoon swell the other day. Strong offshore, walled up on take-off, then fatness on the shoulder. Some of the most fun i've had on a surfboard for a while! This thing glides along small waves, but really finds its range in lined up bigger stuff. Gotta say that for those of us who don't aspire to WSL-level ripping, a mid length really is a lot of fun. Can still carve and turn, but really evens out your style and gets you into the flow.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Been enjoying my Merrick M13 7.0 epoxy thruster for sometime now. Quick and easy to paddle and get into waves and can work the face a bit when i want. Keeps me in the lineup with all the long boarders that i have to compete with. I have been thinking about stepping down a bit in size though but am having a hard time finding something that i might like more?
get a shorter m13. my buddy loves his at 6’4.

Reactions: MathDebater

chilly1

Nep status
Jan 4, 2010

Was thinking these:

Thanks!
I have a Middy on order and was told it goes well as a quad but as thruster the futures Pivot Template.