***The Official Mid-Length Thread***

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
Something about that outline, rounded nose or not, just doesn't look right to my eye for an egg. The tail is right off a 90's thruster.

When I think egg I think rounded and flow-y and this looks too parallel and straight. It screams oversized shortboard to me and something made to fill a market niche. If there is a valid distinction between funboard and egg, this one definetly skews to the funboard side of the equation.

I'm no CI fanboy but their Mid at least had the input of someone who surfs eggs all the time and you can see the evolution from the Takayama Howard Mini to the CI Mid with CI injecting some of their heritage into the rails and bottom but leaving the outline pretty much alone.

Dunno, it might go great, but I'll never know.

Interesting, and you did get quite a few likes, so I’m curious… it can’t just be about the way it looks.?.

Heres an earlier version before they refined the nose...

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Something about that outline, rounded nose or not, just doesn't look right to my eye for an egg. The tail is right off a 90's thruster.

When I think egg I think rounded and flow-y and this looks too parallel and straight. It screams oversized shortboard to me and something made to fill a market niche. If there is a valid distinction between funboard and egg, this one definetly skews to the funboard side of the equation.

I'm no CI fanboy but their Mid at least had the input of someone who surfs eggs all the time and you can see the evolution from the Takayama Howard Mini to the CI Mid with CI injecting some of their heritage into the rails and bottom but leaving the outline pretty much alone.

Dunno, it might go great, but I'll never know.
yeah, Probably for those who want /used to rip a bit more than the CI Mid bro. Crowd killer, Etc.
FWIW, R’s guy Tristan Sully, who was surfing the prototypes the last couple years around town, definitely surfs them more aggressively. He rips on a HPSB too and charges local slabs.

Reactions: chilly1

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
Wish Mike was still around , we would have Sooo much fun with you guys

I just cut a board for Roberts yesterday that looks like a little wider tailed version of that. For Robert. Going to glass on side bites and put FU box up the middle.

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
So you think the CI Mid looks a bit more curvy, as an Egg should be?

Specs of the Rusty Egg Not and CI mid are almost identical on a basic level.

Rusty Egg Not -- 7.0' - 21.0" - 2.74" - <45L

CI Mid -- 7.0' - 21 1/8 - 2 3/4" - 44.9L

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA

It’s in the name: squash tail + pulled in nose = Not an Egg.
also, I think the Shapers Notes you posted describe the boar’s design features pretty clearly. If you have questions, I’d call the R. warehouse. None of us have seen/ felt / surfed one.
Edit: I like Rustys a lot and have never had a bad one… but personally, if I wanted a custom egg / mid, I’d go to the master Mitsven. May even have some on the rack at Birds. His 6’4 tri egg will be my old man DD in a few years. LOL

Last edited:

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
It’s in the name: squash tail + pulled in nose = Not an Egg.
also, I think the Shapers Notes you posted describe the boar’s design features pretty clearly. If you have questions, I’d call the R. warehouse. None of us have seen/ felt / surfed one.
Edit: I like Rustys a lot and have never had a bad one… but personally, if I wanted a custom Egg / mid, I’d go to the master Mitsven. May even have some on the rack at Birds.
Or Malcom/Jakob Campbell:cheers:

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
There's a lot of ways to shape a piece of foam to those specs as these two boards show. You could make a (wide) gun with those dims if you wanted or a long fish or whatever.

Lots of ways to connect the dots.

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
Packed the 7'2 Mid Strength up to take back to the old town. Realised I didn't want to be without one, so found the last 6'10 in NZ, and surfed it this morning at the big harbour bar. Well OH and very fast and hollow.

The 6'10 is significantly more nimble and 'shortboardy' than the 7'2. Feels like a shorty under the arm, and it was the perfect mix of paddle power (1 mile offshore) and manoeuvrability. Never felt clumsy and stiff, and could be pumped super quick when needed.

Waves were insane.

Last edited: