***The Official Mid-Length Thread***

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020
I'm looking to get a Chilli Mid Strength eventually, maybe 6'10 x 21 x 2 5/8 40ish+ L, these mid-lengths with the big fin down the middle are of no interest to me. looks too cumbersome and hipster for my tastes.

waxurDyl

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 22, 2010
SoBay
I don't really understand the shape of the VBowls. What's the idea with the wide point in the hips? What does it do?

Be careful of the hipsters if they see those things...
There’s so much going on with that shape and I’m not qualified enough to talk about the design aspects of it, but Ryan has plenty info about it on his website. I rode a bud’s 7’4 for a few waves before knee surgery and it blew my mind. It rides so much easier and free than the outline, foil, rocker and especially the rails would suggest. Easy to paddle, easy to turn(frontside and backside), speed, no friction, fun rebound feeling coming off swooping bottom turns…just a fun, easy and different feeling midlength. Don’t confuse the VBowls with a displacement hull like a Liddle or Klaus Jones which are difficult beasts to ride properly. It felt different than any board I’ve ever ridden. After that test drive couple months ago I knew I had to get one and I also understood the wide appreciation for that model and why they almost never turn up on the used market.
Yes…his wait is about 18mo long, about 275 boards in the queue but definitely worth the wait if you’re patient. But I know firsthand he’s working to get Love Machine launched as soon as he can. Ryan says the 8’0 is a pretty sweet spot for the VBowls so I can’t wait to get my knee right and surf that thing asap

Last edited:

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
FWIW, been riding my Chilli Mid Strength with FCS2 Carver quads, and I thought it went really well with those fins. Surprised that it still felt loose for a 7'2.

Finally got my hands on my old Accelerators and ran those as fronts with the Carver rears. Holy fcuk, that made a difference! Board is faster, looser, yet still held fine in HH-OH waves.

Will try some smaller rears in smaller waves, but this is the golden combo for now.

potato-nator

Phil Edwards status
Nov 10, 2015
Ok

so how longis one supposed to go on these?? Coming from shortboard, quadfish background??‍♂
conditions and weight of rider factor in.
variable and ones' apple is anothers' orange.

one thing i liked about the NS was there were something like 30 spots i favored.
liked it less when i figured out i needed 30 dif boars.

:confused:

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
7'0 is a good all rounder. I've been riding one for a few years and it works well in most conditions. I've been thinking about adding a second shorter one for days when the waves have more curve and the 7'0 doesn't fit.

Be careful, they get kinda addictive. I bought mine as a longboard substitute for days when I didn't want to drag out the 9'4 but now I ride it like 90% of the time unless it's bombing and grab my Ghost.

donger

Billy Hamilton status
Nov 17, 2012
OC
There’s so much going on with that shape and I’m not qualified enough to talk about the design aspects of it, but Ryan has plenty info about it on his website. I rode a bud’s 7’4 for a few waves before knee surgery and it blew my mind. It rides so much easier and free than the outline, foil, rocker and especially the rails would suggest. Easy to paddle, easy to turn(frontside and backside), speed, no friction, fun rebound feeling coming off swooping bottom turns…just a fun, easy and different feeling midlength. Don’t confuse the VBowls with a displacement hull like a Liddle or Klaus Jones which are difficult beasts to ride properly. It felt different than any board I’ve ever ridden. After that test drive couple months ago I knew I had to get one and I also understood the wide appreciation for that model and why they almost never turn up on the used market.
Yes…his wait is about 18mo long, about 275 boards in the queue but definitely worth the wait if you’re patient. But I know firsthand he’s working to get Love Machine launched as soon as he can. Ryan says the 8’0 is a pretty sweet spot for the VBowls so I can’t wait to get my knee right and surf that thing asap
you described the vbowls perfectly D, I'm lucky I got a handshape from Ryan just before he blew up, I'll never sell mine

Reactions: waxurDyl

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Speaking of mid length pigs.... This is what I'm working on now. 6-10 x 20-1/2 x 2-5/8 . 1/16 single concave. It will be a version of 2+1 fin set up but with small trailer....just lightly bigger than a thruster center fin.

Next to my magic 7-4 which I've been riding whenever it gets head high or above. Both have wide point 1-1/2" behind center but the shorter one looks piggy to me.

ps I'm going back to swallow tails. Never question Chandler.

IMG_5855.JPG

IMG_5869.JPG

IMG_5867.JPGIMG_5866.JPG

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua
I rode this mid-length for the majority of the season here in Nica ... 6'10" x 21 1/8 x 2 3/4.

20210811_112142.jpg

20210811_112213.jpg

20210811_111310.jpg

First board i've owned with channels on the tail ... wanted to give it a try with only a single center box. It was about the 5th session where i buckled and snapped it in half ....

20210906_125755_HDR.jpg

Had it repaired ...

20210813_071120.jpg

Still goes great! From waist high to 2'-3' OH - board has been stellar. Initially wasn't sure how much difference the channels would make or it i would be able to notice the difference .... happy to report that i am sold on the single fin with channels setup can definitely feel the difference.

urchined

Nep status
Jul 20, 2019
NCSD, CA
I rode this mid-length for the majority of the season here in Nica ... 6'10" x 21 1/8 x 2 3/4.

View attachment 121311

View attachment 121312

View attachment 121314

First board i've owned with channels on the tail ... wanted to give it a try with only a single center box. It was about the 5th session where i buckled and snapped it in half ....

View attachment 121315

Had it repaired ...

View attachment 121317

Still goes great! From waist high to 2'-3' OH - board has been stellar. Initially wasn't sure how much difference the channels would make or it i would be able to notice the difference .... happy to report that i am sold on the single fin with channels setup can definitely feel the difference.
What’s the positives of the single over the Barry twinzers you have?

Reactions: flyinraptr

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua
What’s the positives of the single over the Barry twinzers you have?
Yeah - the twinzers have been collecting dust of late.. ... been digging the single fin feel - especially without the side fins (2+1 setup). It seems the channels give you the benefit of the added traction/control but without the drag of the side fins. This board has more of a traditional performance board outline and feel versus the twinzers - which are wider and surf more like a fish. The nose is pulled-in more ... a lot easier to angle the drop on steep waves and basically drop-in late. With the single fin - - i can make finer adjustments to the feel and dial it in more - (more drive, looser) by moving it forward or backward. Definitely has a looser feel as far as drawing different lines - or adjusting your line ...but with the channels feels like you have complete traction/control - like you can put the board anywhere you want on the wave. Re-directing coming out of a cut-back or big round house turns seem easier and more flowing. Flying on a big wall or on a steep wave - feels like i have finer control with making small adjustments to my line depending on what the wave is doing. Bottom turns are amazing - i can draw them out and let the board do its thing or just as easily bury the rail at the base of the wave. This board is also easy to duck dive ... paddles well ... catches waves well. And fast as hell ... easily as fast as the twinzers.

urchined

Nep status
Jul 20, 2019
NCSD, CA
Yeah - the twinzers have been collecting dust of late.. ... been digging the single fin feel - especially without the side fins (2+1 setup). It seems the channels give you the benefit of the added traction/control but without the drag of the side fins. This board has more of a traditional performance board outline and feel versus the twinzers - which are wider and surf more like a fish. The nose is pulled-in more ... a lot easier to angle the drop on steep waves and basically drop-in late. With the single fin - - i can make finer adjustments to the feel and dial it in more - (more drive, looser) by moving it forward or backward. Definitely has a looser feel as far as drawing different lines - or adjusting your line ...but with the channels feels like you have complete traction/control - like you can put the board anywhere you want on the wave. Re-directing coming out of a cut-back or big round house turns seem easier and more flowing. Flying on a big wall or on a steep wave - feels like i have finer control with making small adjustments to my line depending on what the wave is doing. Bottom turns are amazing - i can draw them out and let the board do its thing or just as easily bury the rail at the base of the wave. This board is also easy to duck dive ... paddles well ... catches waves well. And fast as hell ... easily as fast as the twinzers.
Good overview. Intriguing. The benefits of a more performance outline make sense where u surf. Interesting test would be different fin set up on a proper dimensioned good wave board.

Reactions: flyinraptr