***The Official Mid-Length Thread***

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
What size? Looks like you can surf them pretty short and still get a bit of the egg glide or longer for the full monty.

Does it turn pretty quick or does the twin setup tend to be a more down the line projection kind of turn? Obviously the keel fins probably effect this.

Picked up a JS Big Baron last week , only had a couple sessions on it so far but was fun for an old kook like me. Paddles and catches waves really well, fast and turns well with the CI Fishbeard fins in it

View attachment 116726

JTS

Legend (inyourownmind)
Sep 22, 2004
What size? Looks like you can surf them pretty short and still get a bit of the egg glide or longer for the full monty.

Does it turn pretty quick or does the twin setup tend to be a more down the line projection kind of turn? Obviously the keel fins probably effect this.
I got the big boy (7’6” 50 liters) as I get deeper into my 60s I favor longer boards, kinda thin so duck diving isn’t too hard ( I’m 200 lbs though )
I’m more of a swoop and carve guy (at least in my head anyway) I find that it turns well, but I’m an old guy who just likes driving of the bottom, making sections and wrapping a nice cutback , so I don’t know if it can do WCT turns - I know I can’t
I surf East Coast beach breaks

I’ve got some NVS Kraken twins and an old set of FEN V2 twins I will probably try - but too be honest the CI Fishbeard Keels felt good to me so I may leave well enough alone

FYI I did put a small ding in the rail with my elbow , getting shut down in a little barrel during my first session on it. The shop said it was EPS/epoxy but I checked with JS in Oceanside and they confirmed to me it is epoxy resin and a PU blank

JTS

Legend (inyourownmind)
Sep 22, 2004
very nice!

felt up a stock 6'8 38 liter one and it felt reeally good. very low rail and rocker. are they made in aus now or asia?
Thailand
Yes, the rails are very low, rocker was working good for me - but like I said before I’m no ripper

Reactions: Havoc

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
Thanks for the info. Sounds like a fun board.

I surf east coast beach breaks as well so good to know.

I got the big boy (7’6” 50 liters) as I get deeper into my 60s I favor longer boards, kinda thin so duck diving isn’t too hard ( I’m 200 lbs though )
I’m more of a swoop and carve guy (at least in my head anyway) I find that it turns well, but I’m an old guy who just likes driving of the bottom, making sections and wrapping a nice cutback , so I don’t know if it can do WCT turns - I know I can’t
I surf East Coast beach breaks

I’ve got some NVS Kraken twins and an old set of FEN V2 twins I will probably try - but too be honest the CI Fishbeard Keels felt good to me so I may leave well enough alone

FYI I did put a small ding in the rail with my elbow , getting shut down in a little barrel during my first session on it. The shop said it was EPS/epoxy but I checked with JS in Oceanside and they confirmed to me it is epoxy resin and a PU blank

Reactions: JTS

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Really? I dunno. To me, something about it looks too clunky- probably too wide for my taste. Looked smoother in the better surf... but then there's plenty of designs I'd grab before this one.

Reactions: Bman76 and Havoc

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
Yeah, I think it's quite unappealing visually, but the clips look fun. I doubt I'll ever give one a go unless it falls in my lap - which seems unlikely.

Reactions: oeste858

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
i liked seeing him on longer equipment. he's a big bloke and sometimes he looks like he's overpowering the 5-10 fishy boards. i have the same problem being even taller than him. i'll have to rewatch the vid with a critical eye but my first impression was that the board looked pretty good for him especially in those wind chunked running lefts.

the BB nose is definitely wider than I would like but I'd be curious to try one.

Reactions: need 4 speed

Goodfish

Michael Peterson status
Feb 22, 2014
I rode my friend's MOTE 7'10 Massive last weekend in small high tide wedges that ran into shore break drainers. Blew my mind. So much glide in that board. I could roll into them super early, then once I was up and riding, the 7'10 felt like a shortboard. It was the most fun I've had on a surfboard for a while. I think that board could go in small dribble to pumping point break. I had originally ordered a 6'2 Au Go Go from MOTE, but after that experience, I changed my order to a 7'4 Massive! Yes, I did try just adding to my order, but wasn't allowed and got told off for messing about. :cry:

waxurDyl

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 22, 2010
SoBay
Goodfish…I commend you for having the balls to try to add to your order after he got his queue organized and shut it down to get caught up. But getting told off about the subtle bait and switch is classic, lol! Were you worried at all he would just cancel your spot in line?;)

Goodfish

Michael Peterson status
Feb 22, 2014
Well, I had had a coupla beers when I sent the email and I had already dropped a deposit, so I was feeling confident. I did a bit of grovelling after the telling off and said I was just over-frothing on the Massive. Billy, who takes care of the orders for Simon, seems like a good guy, so he understood and I promised not to contact him again until he tells me my order is done. A few days later, I had a dream that I saw some new MOTE fish shape and I was about to email him about getting one (in my dream), but some part of my consciousness told me to stop and step away from the computer...