***The Official Mid-Length Thread***

vanrysss

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 25, 2019
from Oregon, now SD
Interesting. I am seriously considering it, although I'd want to get one with some sidebits. Idk if they do that.

I'm thinking either a Peahi or a Jim Banks single fin.

And about your earlier post about shitty water quality in Bali, it can be like that a few places and from time to time, but honestly like 95% of the time not a problem. I would willingly criticize the sh!t out of it if there actually was a problem, I'm not some rosy eyed optimist, but it's really almost never an issue in the Bukit.
I wouldn't go sidebites, that'd kinda defeat the purpose imo . It's a fantastic board, but you gotta be okay with drawing a line across the face rather than busting maneuvers. You're basically paying for a 70's board with the last 50 years of acquired board-building knowledge applied to it.

You could probably go down to like a 6'4" if you wanted a shortboard replacement, or go up to a 7'0" if you want to catch waves off every set and be able to push up to DOH out there.

Relevant vid

Last edited:

Sam_K

Legend (inyourownmind)
Dec 11, 2019
I wouldn't go sidebites, that'd kinda defeat the purpose imo . It's a fantastic board, but you gotta be okay with drawing a line across the face rather than busting maneuvers. You're basically paying for a 70's board with the last 50 years of acquired board-building knowledge applied to it.

You could probably go down to like a 6'4" if you wanted a shortboard replacement, or go up to a 7'0" if you want to catch waves off every set and be able to push up to DOH out there.

Relevant vid
Yeah I would be getting it like 7' or even 7'4 or so. It wouldn't be about busting moves at all, it would be a DOH board for two waves in particular, Baby Bombie and big Balangan when it breaks past the cliff. Both of these are massive, wide waves with a bunch of canvas and I think it would be tremendous fun to make sweeping turns on them with a single.

So yeah, the Pahi is on the shortlist. Thanks for the recommendation

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
Yeah I would be getting it like 7' or even 7'4 or so. It wouldn't be about busting moves at all, it would be a DOH board for two waves in particular, Baby Bombie and big Balangan when it breaks past the cliff. Both of these are massive, wide waves with a bunch of canvas and I think it would be tremendous fun to make sweeping turns on them with a single.

So yeah, the Pahi is on the shortlist. Thanks for the recommendation

You may or may not have seen this. Video at the bottom:

doc_flavonoid

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 27, 2019
You may or may not have seen this. Video at the bottom:

i dont know jackshit but i grew up on singles and still keep a couple in the quiver. theyre a great way to reset and smooth your sh!t out as you have no choice but to link your turns.

i sorta disagree with a couple things being said related to wide point forward pointy nose pulled tail singles.

at sub 7' widowmaker set ups are pretty damn nice when it comes to driving through turns. once you start pushing longer rail lengths (like 7-4+) side bites become less relevant. but it may just be me. i like to lay hard into these boards and dont want to feel like i need to nurse my turns.

never ridden a cc pahi but looking at that biard and the dims me thinks its primarily a warm water reef board. ive had cc carreras with similar numbers and found that the skinny dims and narrow little tails paddle and catch waves like sh!t in cold water with thick wetsuits where you actually have to chase waves down.

that sunburnt mess review guy is off his nut. 7-4 by 2 5/8' and bladed out. fn guy thinks its real 70's style? thick? a paddle beast? 2 5/8's? id love to see a rocker shot and rail profile on one of these. all my late 70's singles are flat deck pushing 3" thick with boxy low apex rails. but like i said what do i know.

Sam_K

Legend (inyourownmind)
Dec 11, 2019
i dont know jackshit but i grew up on singles and still keep a couple in the quiver. theyre a great way to reset and smooth your sh!t out as you have no choice but to link your turns.

i sorta disagree with a couple things being said related to wide point forward pointy nose pulled tail singles.

at sub 7' widowmaker set ups are pretty damn nice when it comes to driving through turns. once you start pushing longer rail lengths (like 7-4+) side bites become less relevant. but it may just be me. i like to lay hard into these boards and dont want to feel like i need to nurse my turns.

never ridden a cc pahi but looking at that biard and the dims me thinks its primarily a warm water reef board. ive had cc carreras with similar numbers and found that the skinny dims and narrow little tails paddle and catch waves like sh!t in cold water with thick wetsuits where you actually have to chase waves down.

that sunburnt mess review guy is off his nut. 7-4 by 2 5/8' and bladed out. fn guy thinks its real 70's style? thick? a paddle beast? 2 5/8's? id love to see a rocker shot and rail profile on one of these. all my late 70's singles are flat deck pushing 3" thick with boxy low apex rails. but like i said what do i know.
I've seen this review before. There's so little info on the Pahi available that this review comes right up.

I found it pretty funny too. "This is the thickest board I've ever surfed in big waves." 2 5/8 lol??

I know what you mean about Christenson making these skinny ass fucking boards. I have 4 Carreras and I've got them in lots of different larger widths.... 20 --- 20 1/4 ---- 20 1/2 and a 20 3/4 which I had made when I knew absolutely nothing about boards. Way too wide. My general conclusion is that I would get anywhere from 6'6'' to 7'6'' at 20 wide and 8' and larger at 20 1/4 wide.

I would get the Pahi at 20 wide and 2 3/4 thick most likely.

Havoc

Phil Edwards status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
I just aquired an old 7'4" 21" Spider Murphy mini-malibu (currently known as midlength) for the golden price of $71, with the leash! My friend got it from somone else last autumn for the same price, but he never found the time to use it. When we got our paws on it, the main rudder was missing. Fixed it with FCS.
View attachment 105060

I got it back this week and I decided to paint it blue. Also repaired the snout, since it was badly bruised. I will try to sell it for $350 :love:. Might surf it tomorrow.

View attachment 105061

View attachment 105062
I didn’t know blue turds existed until now!

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
On my recent trip the number of healthy looking humans under the age of 30 with no obvious physical disability who were riding midlengths was quite disturbing.

There's nothing intrinsically wrong with these boards but I struggle to understand why a person in their prime, surfing legitimately good surf, would ride one aside from the paddle factor. Are we going to have a whole generation of surfers who never experience the sensation of an actual top turn?

Don't get me wrong, they are fun to ride in their own way.

But talk about wasted youth!

Do drugs, have sex and hit the lip while you can kids!

Last edited:

Northern_Shores

Miki Dora status
Mar 30, 2009
On my recent trip the number of healthy looking humans under the age of 30 with no obvious physical disability who were riding midlengths was quite disturbing.

There's nothing intrinsically wrong with these boards but I struggle to understand why a person in their prime surfing legitimately good surf would ride one aside from the paddle factor. Are we going to have a whole generation of surfers who never experience the sensation of an actual top turn?

Agree. Mini-mals ride like blue turds.

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid

There's nothing intrinsically wrong with these boards but I struggle to understand why a person in their prime surfing legitimately good surf would ride one aside from the paddle factor. Are we going to have a whole generation of surfers who never experience the sensation of an actual top turn?

This is true. Never underestimate the value of a miss-spent youth :)

Reactions: Havoc and Aruka