***The Official Mid-Length Thread***

vanrysss

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 25, 2019
from Oregon, now SD
I've got a Sea Gypsy by Joel something or other, which goes great. But the damn thing has zero rocker, like none. Flat as paper. So easy to dig the tip in on takeoff and go over the handlebars.

What is the rocker like on something like the C Bucket or the Smooth Operator?
I've ridden a c-bucket in Bali, do not recommend. Nautilus apparently works quite well, even at longer (6'6" +) lengths.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
How much have you experimented sliding those single fins fore vs. aft?
Fuk.

Fins....

still working out the kinks on the 7’2

I put TA Powerblade on the 6’8 as far back as it goes and that’s that.

I have the placement for the Greenough 4a on both but I got a bigger fin for the 7’2 that I haven’t had the chance to use yet.

I can say this, there isn’t really a too far back but there’s definitely a too far forward.

Reactions: sdsrfr and urchined

Sam_K

Legend (inyourownmind)
Dec 11, 2019
I've ridden a c-bucket in Bali, do not recommend. Nautilus apparently works quite well, even at longer (6'6" +) lengths.
I've got a Nautty, I fucking love the thing. It's got just enough rocker to make it useful but it's still fast and goes on the rails. I've got a 6'6'' and am even thinking about getting a 7.

What about your Peahi?

I've considered getting one. Do you think (know) that it would function OK in average surf, or is it so rockered/foiled out that it only works when it's juicy?

vanrysss

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 25, 2019
from Oregon, now SD
"In its design, it is very much a step up/ semi-gun that blends the old and new contours to make a board that will handle some serious surf when need be."

Average Uluwatu for sure. Average Trestles, not so much. Think updated 70s style brewer/lightning bolt kinda board.

Sam_K

Legend (inyourownmind)
Dec 11, 2019
"In its design, it is very much a step up/ semi-gun that blends the old and new contours to make a board that will handle some serious surf when need be."

Average Uluwatu for sure. Average Trestles, not so much. Think updated 70s style brewer/lightning bolt kinda board.
Interesting. I am seriously considering it, although I'd want to get one with some sidebits. Idk if they do that.

I'm thinking either a Peahi or a Jim Banks single fin.

And about your earlier post about shitty water quality in Bali, it can be like that a few places and from time to time, but honestly like 95% of the time not a problem. I would willingly criticize the sh!t out of it if there actually was a problem, I'm not some rosy eyed optimist, but it's really almost never an issue in the Bukit.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Anyone riding the Channel Islands M-13? That looks fun
My buddy has a 7-0. A couple of the older guys have owned them over the years as well. My buddy rides his as kind of a cheater step up. I've seen him charge to pretty solid surf on his. He's had it for years and really likes it. It's not a flat rockered glider type midlength at all. More like a big guy shortboard or good wave hybrid. Has a bit of vee to make it easy to roll rail to rail so it's easy to turn for a big board but it won't be a board you hit the lip with or anything.

Reactions: Havoc and sdsrfr

urchined

Nep status
Jul 20, 2019
NCSD, CA
Latest boardroom with bass and Devon Howard has good midlength talk for those interested. More CI mids on the way. I personally ride the same twin that bass rides from Ryan Sakal as well. Lots of chatter about that.

Northern_Shores

Miki Dora status
Mar 30, 2009
I just aquired an old 7'4" 21" Spider Murphy mini-malibu (currently known as midlength) for the golden price of $71, with the leash! My friend got it from somone else last autumn for the same price, but he never found the time to use it. When we got our paws on it, the main rudder was missing. Fixed it with FCS.
1613235710405.png

I got it back this week and I decided to paint it blue. Also repaired the snout, since it was badly bruised. I will try to sell it for $350 :love:. Might surf it tomorrow.

1613235792223.png

1613236136118.png

Last edited:

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
My buddy has a 7-0. A couple of the older guys have owned them over the years as well. My buddy rides his as kind of a cheater step up. I've seen him charge to pretty solid surf on his. He's had it for years and really likes it. It's not a flat rockered glider type midlength at all. More like a big guy shortboard or good wave hybrid. Has a bit of vee to make it easy to roll rail to rail so it's easy to turn for a big board but it won't be a board you hit the lip with or anything.
Wish I still had my 6’4, although functional, outline looks kooky AF.

mine had a swallow tail.

Reactions: Aruka