***The Official Mid-Length Thread***

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
Plenty of action on this topic already gentlemen. While we have to accept that fatty fun boards and soft tops aren't true mid-lengths, lets try to keep an open mind here as the discussion seems to be raging in the community, and should include whatever keeps it interesting . :)

I guess I've been enjoying my 7' 6" 'funboard' (Lib Tech Pick Up Stick) so much, and think back to 2019 on Maui when I rented a 7' 0" Firewire Submoon (now discontinued) and had some good sessions at various spots, that it just got the ~7' 0" and ~43 - ~46 liters mid length boards on the brain.

Ankles to knees, occasional threes? Dumpy beachbreak? I don't prefer a longboard. And while I’ve learned most midlengths aren’t grovelers at all, they can still work well in certain small conditions.

Softer / Reef waves 3-4+, a groveler can be okay, but extra length will help you catch waves and works on a more open face. Prefer = Midlength.

Any condition around head high + or - that's not too gnarly, a bigger board that can still turn when you get on a good one. Prefer = Midlength.

First on the docket is the ...Lost Smooth Operator. While the similar Crowd Killer is more of a big guy shortboard / pump and rip stick, the Smooth Operator is more of a glider. Into it.

Last edited:
Reactions: MathDebater

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Don’t think it’s a matter of right/wrong. Just personal preference of how you want to surf and what you want to do on a wave. I fall into the camp that a midlength is more jack of all trades, but master of none. IMO they are generally more suited from knee to head high in lined up point surf. But honestly, if it’s above waist high, I’ve got other boards I’d much rather ride. I’ve also got a couple excellent small wave boards rn that are a blast in the conditions you mentioned, so I rarely ever ride my 7’2.

retodd

Duke status
Feb 23, 2009
I like them for lazy high tide days or spots that require lots of distance paddling.

Parmenter is probably the best at all around ml. Lots of other guys do neat ones , Ryan Lovelace and SK have some spicy versions .

Best part of a ml is they can still be duck dove

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
This thread needs to clarify the difference, if any, between a mid length and an egg. It seems retodd is talking about a Parmenter stub vector (a longer, wider, but still relatively thin squash thruster) and other folks are taking about egg type designs like the CI mid.

doc_flavonoid

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 27, 2019
This thread needs to clarify the difference, if any, between a mid length and an egg. It seems retodd is talking about a Parmenter stub vector (a longer, wider, but still relatively thin squash thruster) and other folks are taking about egg type designs like the CI mid.
mpegg

Reactions: JDJ

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
Id like to see anything clarified, but as I mentioned, let’s keep an open mind to the topic and try not to get in a pissing match.

Chas Grit liking the CI Mid At the link below. Is this considered an egg more than the Lost Smooth Op I originally posted!? Where is the line drawn specifically, and does it matter!?

Reactions: JDJ

doc_flavonoid

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 27, 2019
few years back i had to put my 7-0 cc og squaretail flat tracker up in the rafters. fn thing was like crack. so bladed out. felt so bitchen laying over on rail. worked waist to 3-4' overhead.

hollow. mush. didnt matter. was such a crutch.

thousand dollar single fin that made every wave fun

Last edited:

urchined

Nep status
Jul 20, 2019
NCSD, CA
few years back i had to put my 7-0 cc og squaretail flat tracker up in rafters. fn thing was like crack. so bladed out. felt so bitchen laying over on rail. worked waist to 3-4 overhead.

Same experience with that boar

Reactions: Havoc

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
few years back i had to put my 7-0 cc og squaretail flat tracker up in the rafters. fn thing was like crack. so bladed out. felt so bitchen laying over on rail. worked waist to 3-4' overhead.

Same experience with that boar
"cc og"..??.. Post a pic.

And remember, the new Surfer Mag, Mens Journal, says that you need to get a mid-length surfboard. o_O

• Dislike
Reactions: PRCD

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
took a trip to Punta Mita a few months ago and borrowed a 7'0 Bing Omega at a fun reef point. it took a little bit to get used to during the session, but once I did, the glide and trim was addicting. I think it had a 8.0" Greenough fin IIRC

Reactions: Pescado713

Sam_K

Legend (inyourownmind)
Dec 11, 2019
I've got a Sea Gypsy by Joel something or other, which goes great. But the damn thing has zero rocker, like none. Flat as paper. So easy to dig the tip in on takeoff and go over the handlebars.

What is the rocker like on something like the C Bucket or the Smooth Operator?

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
What is the rocker like on something like the ... Smooth Operator?
Found a rocker shot on Lost AU... This board is getting on the brain lately... I think a 7'0" would be so fun for softer reef breaks in Hawaii... Digging the pale blue one they have up on the Lost US site.

Reactions: CutnSnip

Sam_K

Legend (inyourownmind)
Dec 11, 2019
Found a rocker shot on Lost AU... This board is getting on the brain lately... I think a 7'0" would be so fun for softer reef breaks in Hawaii... Digging the pale blue one they have up on the Lost US site.

That top board looks soooooo nice. Looks like it has a fair bit of rocker too. I don't think you need a lot of rocker, but my board has zero fucking rocker and that's no good

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Here’s mine...6’8 and 7’2 Vaqueros. I pretty much only ride them when it’s small. Put it this way, I got 7’2 a couples years ago and I haven’t ridden a Wavestorm since.

Got the 6’8 last year (because I saw it and couldn’t help it). I ride in small sh!t surf. One time I was surprised by a swell that came out of nowhere (wasn’t on any forecast) and rode it in some high tide point break at about head high and it was certainly fun but I was wishing I had my fish.

D74E8667-3773-48D8-9CDA-84B8195FC57F.jpegBA798B78-68DF-4A21-8E00-C43976D797E7.jpeg