***The Official Mid-Length Thread***

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
7' and up for me to tap into that really noticeable difference in section connecting glide and carry over flat spots in peaky junk or to make it in-between our outer and inner beach break banks. I'm 6'1" so one's height naturally comes into play which I completely forgot about.

Last edited:
Reactions: mundus

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
My experience is that, for low rocker more cruisy midlengths, they start to loose their effortless glide below 6-8 or so. Talking Townsend type boards. That doesnt mean they cant be fun and in many ways the shorter ones are more versatile but require better positioning and a more active approach.

For HP middies I dunno. I dont have as much experience with them. My mid6 is 7-0 and really doesnt have a ton of glide, at least in the big mushy reef waves I surfed it in. This type of board has its place I suppose and in some ways its easier to surf than a retro middy, especially when the waves are bigger.

Overall I like the low rocker glide type middy better. The best part of a good shitlength is being a disgusting wave hog so I prefer a design that excels in this regard.

Last edited:

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Mid Strength does both. Glides easily on the low/mod rocker up front, but is all business between your feet.
I'm anticipating a similar character out of my new HS. 1' every day this week. Hopefully be able to surf by Sat/Sun next weekend with a return to some fun sized waves.
Edit: the swell was getting in far better 20 mins North of my home stretch of beach breaks so had a couple of surfs there.
Super fun long beachbreak right handers at waist to head high with a nice curve to the faces for speed runs.
Found the S wing Mid keel 480 twins worked better than the 520 twins from the pic on the previous page.
Not my lawn. Scrub in the parking area at the beach.
IMG_0760.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2021
is this the best place to talk about displacement hulls? i did some searching and it doesn't seem like there's a dedicated thread

i got a used 6'6" fineline MP ten years ago or so. without really understanding the theory behind it, i got infatuated with the cool way it kinda finds its way into the pocket and matches the speed of the wave without much pumping. we don't get good days for a hull that often around here (NY/NJ), but when it works it feels rad.

anyway, i had been watching out for a secondhand hull to replace that thing, and not wanting to pay for a new one since i don't get to use it all that often. picked up a 6'6" ryan lovelace throughull from 2013 last week, and only got to use it once so far (local conditions have not been optimal).

it seems like the throughull is not something lovelace really makes anymore. anyone know anything about it? seems to have a bit more rocker than the MP and a less pronounced S deck.

overall i'm interested to know how i can get the cool hull feeling in a board that still works in average days at an east coast beachbreak. is it even possible?

Attachments

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
is this the best place to talk about displacement hulls? i did some searching and it doesn't seem like there's a dedicated thread

i got a used 6'6" fineline MP ten years ago or so. without really understanding the theory behind it, i got infatuated with the cool way it kinda finds its way into the pocket and matches the speed of the wave without much pumping. we don't get good days for a hull that often around here (NY/NJ), but when it works it feels rad.

anyway, i had been watching out for a secondhand hull to replace that thing, and not wanting to pay for a new one since i don't get to use it all that often. picked up a 6'6" ryan lovelace throughull from 2013 last week, and only got to use it once so far (local conditions have not been optimal).

it seems like the throughull is not something lovelace really makes anymore. anyone know anything about it? seems to have a bit more rocker than the MP and a less pronounced S deck.

overall i'm interested to know how i can get the cool hull feeling in a board that still works in average days at an east coast beachbreak. is it even possible?
You will get much more interest/replies for your query on here.

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Just YOLO'ed this carbon fibre McTavish Bobsled 7'10" which was shaped by Bob rather than machined, ghost shaped as he shapes selectively these days. Picked up by my friend on the Gold coast for me. Should be a good points cruiser (think Swarmis) for competing with longboarders.
McT2.jpegMcT1.jpeg

Last edited:

VaB

Michael Peterson status
Nov 14, 2004
Virginia Beach, VA
Midlengths starting to overrun my quiver,

6‘8 vector
7’-0 nautilus
7’6 Tri-fin flat tracker
8-0 c bucket.

keep wanting to ride shorter boards but wave quality and limited time in the water keep me on boards that are guaranteed fun.

Generally I surf with at most 5 people spread out over multiple peaks, Sure it’s a crutch but who cares. would like something in the 6’6 range which is why I’d asked about when the midlengths loose their glide. Looking at JS big baron

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Most of the staff at my local surfshop who all surf well and cover a wide spread of years are loving the big baron. Probably best surfer out of them all has had literally all the sizes and said he's slimmed it down to a 6'4" and a 7'6". He's probably only 65kgs and mid twenties. If I see him I will quizz him about the glide factor on the sizes.
Apparently JS make Australian ones then also Thai ones. They also do a lower priced Magic carpet brand with a Houdini model which uses the big baron files to compete with the Chinese boards. The coloured Magic carpets use E glass so more durable than the JS branded clear Thai PE boards.

Reactions: oeste858

JTS

Legend (inyourownmind)
Sep 22, 2004
Most of the staff at my local surfshop who all surf well and cover a wide spread of years are loving the big baron. Probably best surfer out of them all has had literally all the sizes and said he's slimmed it down to a 6'4" and a 7'6". He's probably only 65kgs and mid twenties. If I see him I will quizz him about the glide factor on the sizes.
Apparently JS make Australian ones then also Thai ones. They also do a lower priced Magic carpet brand with a Houdini model which uses the big baron files to compete with the Chinese boards. The coloured Magic carpets use E glass so more durable than the JS branded clear Thai PE boards.
I had a Big Baron , really fun shape , super flimsy, I dinged it every time I took it out so I sold before I destroyed it ( clear Thai JS)

JaM71

OTF status
Jul 12, 2013
GC, Australia
Midlengths starting to overrun my quiver,

6‘8 vector
7’-0 nautilus
7’6 Tri-fin flat tracker
8-0 c bucket.

keep wanting to ride shorter boards but wave quality and limited time in the water keep me on boards that are guaranteed fun.

Generally I surf with at most 5 people spread out over multiple peaks, Sure it’s a crutch but who cares. would like something in the 6’6 range which is why I’d asked about when the midlengths loose their glide. Looking at JS big baron
how does the 7”6 flat tracker go as a thruster? Can I ask why you chose a thruster set up over a single fin? Just curious as I have only seen them as a single or as the twin tracker, cheers

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Just YOLO'ed this carbon fibre McTavish Bobsled 7'10" which was shaped by Bob rather than machined, ghost shaped as he shapes selectively these days. Picked up by my friend on the Gold coast for me. Should be a good points cruiser (think Swarmis) for competing with longboarders.
View attachment 155482View attachment 155483
Pete, What’s the thinking behind the carbon fiber deck over a stringered blank? Is it EPS or PU? Wouldn’t that combo be ultra stiff? I’ve only seen stringerless (EPS or varial) blanks with CF layups to get the benefits of light weight + ding resistance… yet not be too stiff/corky- but those were shorter boars.
On a bigger boar like this, maybe the CF is just trying to reduce the weight a bit?

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
Some sick head dips on the Mid6 7'er in knee-thigh high dribblers.
I just rented one of these on Kauai, and am about the same skills as the surfer in the video, therefore not going to comment any further. :geek:

• Haha
Reactions: Havoc