***The Official Mid-Length Thread***

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
I think there's a lot to be said for learning the basics of riding a shorter board, whether a thruster or not, and learning to surf in the pocket. You can apply those skills to different equipment, including a mid. If you wait until you're 40 to learn how to pump a surfboard, it's not gonna be pretty. Also, just as a thruster isn't the best choice for most people in mushy waves, a midlength isn't a good choice for most people in dumping beachbreak tubes.
While I did mention small dumpy beachbreak in my original post, I meant 1-3 foot waves at most, so I agree with you here.

And I am that guy who is learning to ride and pump a shortboard in his late 30's - 40's. It aint pretty, but to your point, something you have to learn that will help your surfing overall, even when you decide not to be on shortboards anymore.

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
The Chancho from CI looks pretty fun. 6’ 10” to 8’ 0”. Does someone want to explain why this should be considered a fun board and not a mid length!? It’s only got a few more liters than the CI Mid for the same size (7’ 0”).

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
Rusty mentioned a new eGG type design that he should have up on the website soon. trying to get some more info. But this may be a 7’ 6” of the new / updated shape taken from his Instagram...

Photo by @rustypreisendorfer on February 10, 2021.

Northern_Shores

Miki Dora status
Mar 30, 2009
12" behind the leash plug.

I noticed varial has a couple more CI Mid's in stock. 1150 bucks!

I wish they had futures sidebites instead of those lame fcs plugs.
A foot up from the tail? I was thinking the same thing, because I don't see myself all the way back over the rudder, more just stretching a hoof back for some wild swings!

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
A foot up from the tail? I was thinking the same thing, because I don't see myself all the way back over the rudder, more just stretching a hoof back for some wild swings!
no, behind the leash plug.

in other words, not on the board, haha.

good luck with the wild swings you fuggin maniac :shaka:

Reactions: Senor Sopa

Senor Sopa

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 11, 2015
Ponto
I don't live in Seattle so I don't need to be cool. I just want to shred! Today I was going at it pretty good, but I felt something was lacking.

View attachment 105593
Love your chit. Getting on rail is technique, not tail pad. LOL, rail grab is anti rail carve, stall move.
The pic shows too much rippage on front leg inhibiting rail type shred.
Try leaning back, not forward. Once you get that wired, and know the rail, and only then, you can start with more weight on front leg to hold the turn longer.

Practice moving your foot back right before engaging, lean back and just let the left leg pivot it all around. Watch those Knost vids. If you can get past the hand jive and jerky-herky, he shows the old school move the foot back for turns and foot forward for trim moves. You're almost there young jedi.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Love your chit. Getting on rail is technique, not tail pad. LOL, rail grab is anti rail carve, stall move.
The pic shows too much rippage on front leg inhibiting rail type shred.
Try leaning back, not forward. Once you get that wired, and know the rail, and only then, you can start with more weight on front leg to hold the turn longer.

Practice moving your foot back right before engaging, lean back and just let the left leg pivot it all around. Watch those Knost vids. If you can get past the hand jive and jerky-herky, he shows the old school move the foot back for turns and foot forward for trim moves. You're almost there young jedi.
Lose trucks and street skating up and down drive ways is a good way to learn this technique.

Northern_Shores

Miki Dora status
Mar 30, 2009
My advice for these types of boards is to get them with less than 5" of tail rocker. The Blue Turd is slow!

Last edited: