***The Official Mid-Length Thread***

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020
Why do people even do surf / review videos like this!? Nothing good about it and barely helpful. They must get clicks and make money but I'll never understand why.
A chinese russian adult learner tech weenie bort reviewer? Seems like he'd relate pretty well to most of the visitors of this site.

• Haha
Reactions: MrSteve

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
Couple of new to me used Mid lengths I picked up for great prices.
A 7' x 22.5" x 2&3/4" CJ Nelson Music in Thunderbolt red construction which pre dates the Firewire takeover. It looks more like a PU with resin tint. Has a nice weight to it. Tried riding it with varied fin sets before the S-wing 520 reds and the small bonzer runners made a mockery of the other fins I had tried they were so much better.
First with Kelly Slater Kommunity 2.1 quad set. Then Webber flex twins and a small trailer in an FCS longboard adaptor in the fin box. Then a 8" FCS Clique centre fin (tool less click in fin) with gxq sidebites. Finally an Alkali 7.25" single (classic 70's template) with small bonzer runners. They all felt ok...some obviously better than others. Borrowed a pair of the S-wings from a mate and teamed them up with the bonzer runners in the rear quad plugs.
The board had instant speed with a lively looseness but still drivey in turns. Game over other fins.
Screen Shot 2022-11-10 at 3.18.21 pm.png
Screen Shot 2022-11-09 at 7.43.48 am.png
The other board is a Stewart Hydro hull 7'8" egg. Maybe Northern shores will dig it (despite being a sh!t length) if no one else.
Bought it from my mate who had a thruster set in it. Had a swap with him in the water and it felt positive but not my preferred feel. Need my boards super loose due to a bad back. I find the anchoring of a rear thruster fin puts too much strain on my lower back in turns. I can get away with wide tailed boards with a thruster set up but any board with a pulled in tail and as a thruster will give me grief so I avoid them. Single fins aren't too far behind the rear thruster fin in being problematic and the further they are back in a box the more I don't get along with them. Learned to ride what keeps me pain free over the years.
Ran my favourite XL sized flex twin fins and a dark drive nubster in the Stewart. Super fun and loose at some mediocre waves at my local point. At one stage a sponsored longboarder paddled past and asked me if my board was finless? "Ah no, why?" He replied that the board was so whippy through turns. Flipped it over and showed him the fins.
Screen Shot 2022-11-10 at 3.15.53 pm.pngScreen Shot 2022-11-10 at 3.17.09 pm.png