***The Official Mid-Length Thread***

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
They'll be too busy throwing them at me.
I rode a Tolhurst mid6 7'6" yesterday and can confirm that it does what the marketing blurb, Kevin Schulz and Harley Ingleby says in videos it will do. There was that thread a while back asking if one could rip on a midlength? The Mid6 proves it is possible.

Reactions: Aruka

Havoc

Phil Edwards status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
I rode a Tolhurst mid6 7'6" yesterday and can confirm that it does what the marketing blurb, Kevin Schulz and Harley Ingleby says in videos it will do. There was that thread a while back asking if one could rip on a midlength? The Mid6 proves it is possible.
how's paddling on it?
that's the drawback of ml imho. they dont paddle all that well. my 5'10 fish outpaddles my ml's

Reactions: rowjimmytour

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
how's paddling on it?
that's the drawback of ml imho. they dont paddle all that well. my 5'10 fish outpaddles my ml's
I've got a new 5'10" fish that could be finished by the end of this week so I'll be able to do a direct back to back comparison but before then I'll say its a very good paddler and has that early glide into a wave that plenty of boards don't have. keep in mind I rode the 7'6" which has the big guys foam distribution whereas the 7'er and 7'10" are same feel for foam distribution (rails esp).

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
paul at chilli usa says he rides the middy as his shortboar these days. i will eventually get one. looks like a lively ride.

It's a short...mid..length. a shorter version of...a longer version...of a short board. I don't understand how 1+1-1 doesn't = 1....but it doesn't, and I want one! How long do you order your not-mid length? "Order no inches longer and 0/8ths of an inch wider than your normal board" :LOL:

• Haha
Reactions: paunch23

chilly1

Nep status
Jan 4, 2010
It's a short...mid..length. a shorter version of...a longer version...of a short board. I don't understand how 1+1-1 doesn't = 1....but it doesn't, and I want one! How long do you order your not-mid length? "Order no inches longer and 0/8ths of an inch wider than your normal board" :LOL:
I've got one on order and this shorter version along with most MLs a foot above your height or less I think it's safe to order the same width and thickness as your other boards. Shaper input is always good of course, if available.

Reactions: rowjimmytour

Goodfish

Michael Peterson status
Feb 22, 2014
Tried searching, but couldn't find a dedicated Lovelace thread. Is there one? If not, should we make one or is he wayyyy too hipster for the errb?

I'm considering whether to line up an FM, a ThickLizzy or a v.Bowls/re.Bowls. Probably 2 out of these 3. Anyone care to share their thoughts on these hipster sleds?

toowalled

Nep status
Jul 3, 2014
Tried searching, but couldn't find a dedicated Lovelace thread. Is there one? If not, should we make one or is he wayyyy too hipster for the errb?

I'm considering whether to line up an FM, a ThickLizzy or a v.Bowls/re.Bowls. Probably 2 out of these 3. Anyone care to share their thoughts on these hipster sleds?
check jamboards lots of info on all of those rl boards you mentioned. Trim crap was having a sale at the new shop too if you dont want to wait two years

Reactions: Goodfish

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA

I believe they have message boards on his website where the hipsters share info about models, sizing, fins, how cool he is, [edit: the state of his beard/topknot], etc. Go forth and be hipper than us

Last edited:

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
My mate has a thick lizzy for sale. He's selling it and just sold an almost new MOTE massive that took almost a year to arrive as well as a Gato heroi acid because he prefers to ride his 7'6" outlier and will swap his thick lizzy for a 7' outlier. This from a guy who only rode hipster boutique mid lengths (Vouch, Gato's etc) and poo poo'ed pop outs all the time.
https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/burleigh-waters/surfing/ryan-lovelace-thick-lizzy-7-2-will-swap-for-a-cj-nelson-outlier-or-/1291200085

Last edited:

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Will it paddle battle a 9-0? What is the foam distribution like on the 7-0 and 7-10 which you suggested were different than the 7-6?

I'm in the planning stages of a new board. My design brief for my local winter spot is always the same- 1) a board that can compete with 9-0's at a deep water reef and 2) rides as much like a shortboard as possible. I'm deciding between US Blanks 7-6EA or 8-1EA.. I like the Arakawa rockers and foils but have learned you cannot cut too much length off a blank to get the rocker you want without fuking up the foil. The 7-6 would get me a 7-6. The 8-1 I'd whittle down to 7-10.

Last edited:

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Will it paddle battle a 9-0? What is the foam distribution like on the 7-0 and 7-10 which you suggested were different than the 7-6?

I'm in the planning stages of a new board. My design brief for my local winter spot is always the same- 1) a board that can compete with 9-0's at a deep water reef and 2) rides as much like a shortboard as possible. I'm deciding between US Blanks 7-6EA or 8-1EA.. I like the Arakawa rockers and foils but have learned you cannot cut too much length off a blank to get the rocker you want without fuking up the foil. The 7-6 would get me a 7-6. The 8-1 I'd whittle down to 7-10.
I wouldn't like to be paddle battling people on 9'ers on it. If you're talking 9' longboards you're likely at a minimum of 12 litre and 1& 1/2 foot disadvantage unless there's opportunity to sit on the inside of the peak where it's standing up so you can take the drops they don't/can't make. If it's 9' guns then that's not in my wheelhouse so can't help you there. The 7'6" has fuller rails than both the 7' and 7'10" More than that I can't be more specific but would recommend finding some in store to compare. The 7'6" definitely feels like a shortboard through turns. The channels and the edge well up past the fins work well together.

Last edited:

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
whaddya mean? greg loves a nice diamond tail with mega forward fin placement...
Aruka curious what fin placement of your AG mid twin? And difference you feel if fins forward toyour other twins? I love both my forward placed twins: It2win 6'9" x20" x2.5" stinger pin tail and Alpha Omega 5'8" x19.5" x2.375" swallow both around 11".

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Aruka curious what fin placement of your AG mid twin? And difference you feel if fins forward toyour other twins? I love both my forward placed twins: It2win 6'9" x20" x2.5" stinger pin tail and Alpha Omega 5'8" x19.5" x2.375" swallow both around 11".
hey g'morning jimmy,

the 7-2 AG twin has fin boxes around 11.5" if I recall. AG designed it for keels or upright twins. i've had fun with both. it's hard to compare a 7-2 to what I usually ride. i think the more forward placement allows for turning from further forward on the board which is nice because it's a relatively long. it feels fairly forgiving with foot placement but one thing i noticed is that if i get my rear foot too far back behind the fins it doesn't feel right. it pivots better but loses drive and sometimes just feels really funky. it's like if my foot is that far back i'm almost doing a wheelie and the forward rail is disengaged and so forth.

some of the other longer twins I own have fairly forward placement as well. 6-8 townsend is like 10", 6-4 album bullet RT twin is around 9". i get somewhat of the same feeling on these if my rear foot gets too far back. to be clear, i don't naturally have my foot back that far, it's more like something i've felt when i'm kinda goofing off just trying to feel around for the sweet spot or when i've made a mistake. i think for a narrow tailed twin there is probably a point at which you can only place them so far back before the spread between the fins becomes too narrow or something?

for the shorter twins that are meant for upright fins i do appreciate the more rearward placement (7"-8.5") because you can place your foot all the way back and have a very pivotal, free feeling without losing any projection. i think the sweet spot for me is having the outside of my rear foot basically over the trailing edge of the fins during maneuvers.