***The Official Mid-Length Thread***

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua
Good overview. Intriguing. The benefits of a more performance outline make sense where u surf. Interesting test would be different fin set up on a proper dimensioned good wave board.
Thanks - yeah to be honest - i think this board would go well as a thruster, twin, quad, whatever. From what i've seen from the shaper - he does more thrusters than anything else and that's probably what he is comfortable shaping. i gave him a couple of photo examples of what i was looking for .... and he did a great job but it is more of a thruster shape than what you would normally consider to be a single fin board. BTW - the channels are subtle - not very deep - i don't notice them .. until the board is moving and you put it on rail.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Not sure if this is accurate or just Stab being funny, but it's interesting to see how the CI brand has evolved over the last 5-10 years from HPSBs for World Title contenders to Mids for dad bods & adult learners graduating from wavestorms.
IMG_9790.png

• Haha
Reactions: MathDebater

maybe

Michael Peterson status
Jul 23, 2011
Not that I will ever be a Knost apologist, but Alex is mid-30's now, looking like he has a knee injury, and we've all gained a few Covid pounds. You can always look at his young RVCA days in his 15" inseam trunks if you want to get hard again.
Pretty sure Al still surfs better than you - post a clip or stfu.

Is it just me being locked up for too long, or has The Knost gained a few pounds?

:monkey::monkey::monkey:

maybe

Michael Peterson status
Jul 23, 2011
Griffy , of course Black loaned you his unridden BK. We would have it no other way.

I say we rename the Duke Trophy, the Greg "I'm the most bitchin" Griffin Trophy.

Do you ever just give up and wonder what could have been?
Sounds like mom and dad took care of you and you never had a worry for money. A Cali trustafarian moved to Hawaii and has since moved to Florida to protect his inheritance correct?

But you were never a "Somebody." Not an Al Merrick, Not a Rusty, not a bunch of others who people will actually remember. That's why you're on here continuously reminding us of facts that may or may not be true to keep your diminishing legacy alive.

Me? I'm a nobody and I could give sh!t - bet I surf better than you though.

Last edited:

griffinsurfboard

Duke status
Oct 31, 2004
Palm Coast , Florida
Visit site
My mom died in 1973 and my dad passed in 1980 - no money

That was a fun surfing experience to have - special board and special friends
The first mini gun Doug Haut made was for Black , Mark Angell glassed it and I won the Pleasure Point Surfing Association Invitational on it .
That was fun too ;-)

That BK Tri fin looked similar to the C.I. Twin Pin

Last edited:

grg

Phil Edwards status
Mar 11, 2006
Tuna Town/Baja
If you want to see how popular the midlength has become just take a look at the Noosa surf cam over the next couple of days. Cyclone Seth is currently meandering past.
I think the Burleigh Cam came up on my Surfline and sure looked fun. Tons o waves like a dang machine

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
Getting very close to pulling the trigger. Was at the Rusty factory today chatting them up and they pulled out a 7’ Egg Not that had just come out of the glassing warehouse. It had a 4 + 1 setup.

I realize there are many factors that could influence one’s decision to run a Mid as a 2 + 1 or a Quad (rare I think to see one as a thruster) so let’s hear it… 2+1 or Quad, when and why on a Mid around 7’.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Thruster.

Had a few eggs of varying length w/ the setup. No problem throwing cheater 5s or turning off the tail. Don’t fix what ain’t broke.

Last edited:

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
Thruster.

Had a few eggs of varying length w/ the setup. No problem throwing cheater 5s or turning off the tail. Don’t fix what ain’t broke.
Really!?

Here was the one I saw yesterday. Missed getting a picture of the fin boxes but it was 4 + 1 with the rear center being a larger box with plenty of fore / aft range.

I'm planning to order the same thing with different colors, although I did like this one with it's red / copper rails and bottom.

Last edited: