***The Official Mid-Length Thread***

Havoc

Phil Edwards status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
Kevin Shulz is such a good surfer but watching him surf that Mid6 on his backhand, yikes. Remove the sponsor stickers I would have no idea I'm watching a professional.

This board looks like the high performance longboard of midlengths.
Watch Kevin on a normal shortboard and you can see why he rides a normal shortboard not a mid turd

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Watch Kevin on a normal shortboard and you can see why he rides a normal shortboard not a mid turd
Twenty bucks says the moment they stopped filming this he was like oh thank god i can go back to my real boards now.

The longboarder guy who's model this is surfs it really well as a quad in some slightly better than san clemente waves.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Twenty bucks says the moment they stopped filming this he was like oh thank god i can go back to my real boards now.

The longboarder guy who's model this is surfs it really well as a quad in some slightly better than san clemente waves.
:jamon:

A mid length is going to feel very different if you're coming down from longboard as opposed to going up from a shortboard.

Woke AF

Tom Curren status
Jul 29, 2009
Southern Tip, Norcal
I think the point of the video is to show a good surfer can still kinda rip while blackballing any crowd.

It looked chattery and twitchy on the surface, which is not what any respectfully midlife sofasurfer really wants in his Golden Years.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Can anybody explain the difference in feel between channels that run all the way out the back, vs ones that fade before exiting the rail? Also, the center thruster box looks to be 6"+ up...

Woke AF

Tom Curren status
Jul 29, 2009
Southern Tip, Norcal
Can anybody explain the difference in feel between channels that run all the way out the back, vs ones that fade before exiting the rail? Also, the center thruster box looks to be 6"+ up...
I can speak to what Brian Bulkley calls belly channels compared to channels out the tail. The channels in the vid above are different than belly channels. His belly channels are 2/3rds back and stop before they get to the fins. You can feel a bubble form under the board and rock the bubble back and forth for speed/stall. Very different feel than channels out the tail.